1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Saturday Morning memories thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xerus, May 7, 2008.

1. Xerus Active Member

It does seem like most of the good creative cartoons are moving to cable these days. I think some cable stations should make their own Saturday Morning slots instead of airing their new cartoons at crazy hours of the week. Cartoon Network does have a Saturday Morning slot, but they also sometimes show new cartoons on Thursday nights. I wonder why they pick that kind of time slot?
  2. wwfpooh New Member

Because Thursday is stereotypically one of the less active days on schedule.
  3. Ilikemuppets New Member

Nick is no small network with no credibility. I mean somtimes it's just the most logical way to go.

Yeah, it seems like there was just to much emphases on a female centered audience there for a while

Well, they did have Kim Possible. That was pretty muhc a hit.

Out of work?:confused:

I mean, I watched shows from all the networks. I just choose the ones that thought were best and alternated accordingly. Like if there was a rerun, I would catch another show I liked. Or watch one during the fall and catch the other one during summer reruns. Sometime I would try the turning in between commercials thing, but that is a bit more difficult.:p
  4. Drtooth Well-Known Member

NO.... No No No! That's exactly why Saturday Mornings on non-cable TV networks are faultering. The cable channels that air the same things over and over always clobber the ratings of fresh, newly aired TV shows on broadcast. Cable is partially what's killing Saturday morning television.

Yes, but there's no guarantee that Nick, Jetix, and Cartoon Network will make that show a success. Often times, they toss these aside if they don't get stellar ratings in the first airing, and they wind up quietly disappearing.

Seriously, what did Kid's WB hope to go against in the ratings with junk like Skunk Fu?

You'd think with cable, there would be a higher demand for kid's shows and animated shows, but due to the structures of the networks, and their idiot network heads, there couldn't be any less of a demand. Especially with Disney's live action menace strangling the competition, and the competition thinking it has to copy it.
  5. wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, but like so many other relatively recent favorites that've either bit the dust (Teen Titans, Invader Zim, & Danny Phantom as examples) or are being overexposed--i.e. showing the same episodes repeatedly--whenever they air (Avatar), even she has been outmatched by the executive decisions made by the corporate idiots at the top of the entertainment/political/world food chain.
  6. Ilikemuppets New Member

Sounds like they would get lowest common denominator if they were lucky.:p

I think with all the television channels out there owned by just I few. I think many of them share the same execs.:p
  7. Ilikemuppets New Member

I think there finally going to show new episodes sometime this summer in the states.
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

No. They just got something from another country, as it's cheaper. And no more going to Japan for hits. It's all about places in Europe and Canada. Not that I would mind, but the stuff we've been getting from Nelvana lately is pure kiddy garbage (once again, My Friend Rabbit. What kid do you know would rush to see that? What kids do you know who have even heard of it?)

I'd say, it would be great to get the Canadian dub of the French cartoon The New Adventures of Lucky Luke.... but having seen what they do with Asian, Mexican, and native American Stereotypes (even if it is supposed to be satire of 1940's Cowboy films), that would NEVER happen.
  9. wwfpooh New Member

True. Time Warner own The CW (formerly The WB & UPN) & Cartoon Network, whilst Viacom owns MTV & Nickelodeon, and Disney owns Disney, Toon Disney/Jextix, & ABC Family (and has stock in the regular ABC, as well).
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the exact problem. Why compete with yourself?

No wonder Children's Tv has taken a nose dive. And it's a lot more recent than you'd figure too.
  11. Xerus Active Member

Yeah, that's right. Back when it was just ABC, CBS, NBC, and syndication. Companies have been trying to make the best cartoons and kid shows they could. Also cable companies like USA and TBS tried to make some kids' blocks in the old days. Now that there are networks just for kids, TBS and USA just decided to stop showing kids' shows and concentrate on adult programing.
  12. wwfpooh New Member

But said networks for kids have been lacking in quality since 1998, what with explosion of Elmo's control & Barney/Teletubby-esque programming on PBS, Spongebob's overstaying his welcome on Nick, the live action drivel on Disney & ABC, Jetix's hold on Toon Disney, Pokemon & 4Kids' strangelhold on The CW & FOX respectively, and in the pro wrestling world, the WWE having no one to compete with since the WCW/ECW buyout and TNA doing all WCW did to put itself out of business, etc.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Which is bull poop, if you ask me. I mean, how many Adult channels are there, including local channels and syndication? There are 3 mainstream kids networks, Disney, Nick, and CN. Then there are the second strings, Boomerang, Nicktoons, and Toon Disney. Other than that, there's basically the N for tweens, Noggin and Sprout for little kids, and Discovery kids for... well, whoever wants to watch Discovery kids.

There are more ESPN's than that. And none of the even air sports programming. just various sports talk shows and random pointless events.

So due to the competition of those three channels, we have to give up ALL the kid's programming? Absolute bull. for every kid's network, there's 20 that appeal to adults. Even pets and newborns have channels. PETS! So, due to the high pressure from 3 lousy networks, and of course FCC's slight of hand rulings, we'll never see locally syndicated classic cartoons, but we can see 10000 of the same judge shows?
  14. wwfpooh New Member

Sadly, kids get the short end of the stick & so too do fans like us who still have our inner children inside of us.
  15. Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I understand all that. But with a name like Skunk Fu? Come on...:p
  16. Ilikemuppets New Member

Especially in the form of Nicktoons. They could not compete with that.

I especially think that's true when it come to quality when concerning kids. But we seem all but a forgotten and unimportant generation when it come to television we grew up with.:p
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

They really need to change the name of the show to, "Seriously. We heard about Kung Fu Panda, and decided to rip it off before some cheap home video company comes up with the same idiotic idea".
  18. Xerus Active Member

I think back then, they tried to make kids shows with sophisticated humor and writing that adults could enjoy when they watch with their kids. Like the classic Sesame Street, Electric Company, and Animaniacs.

But lately, most kids shows and cartoons are written like they were just for preschoolers. Like the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and today's Sesame Street. And they save the sophisticated writing for adult shows and adult cartoons.
  19. Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah! I remember all the cheep Disney home video knock offs that used to get released.:p
  20. Xerus Active Member

Here's something else that I remember fondly of Saturday Mornings.

CBS Storybreak and the ABC Weekend Specials.

&feature=related

&feature=related

In these shows, they take popular children's novels and turn them into either animated or live action specials. My favorites were

Harry the Fat Bear Spy, Yeh Shen, CLUTZ, The Secret World of OG, All the Money in the World, and the Miss. Switch saga.