Saturday Morning memories thread

Xerus

Reaction score
It does seem like most of the good creative cartoons are moving to cable these days. I think some cable stations should make their own Saturday Morning slots instead of airing their new cartoons at crazy hours of the week. Cartoon Network does have a Saturday Morning slot, but they also sometimes show new cartoons on Thursday nights. I wonder why they pick that kind of time slot?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
It does seem like most of the good creative cartoons are moving to cable these days. I think some cable stations should make their own Saturday Morning slots instead of airing their new cartoons at crazy hours of the week. Cartoon Network does have a Saturday Morning slot, but they also sometimes show new cartoons on Thursday nights. I wonder why they pick that kind of time slot?
Because Thursday is stereotypically one of the less active days on schedule.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Which brings me to... stop letting cable get first pick of cartoons.
Nick is no small network with no credibility. I mean somtimes it's just the most logical way to go.

it was a show with cross gender appeal. And while Doug by Disney was inferior to Nick's version, it was still entertaining.
Yeah, it seems like there was just to much emphases on a female centered audience there for a while

Oddly enough, Disney has had more cartoon programming than live action programming lately, but since they haven't had a single hit cartoon (and I could almost say, who could blame them, but a couple were pretty decent)
Well, they did have Kim Possible. That was pretty muhc a hit.

Of course, lemme just say this. I doubt ANY of these kids will wind up like Even Stevens (Can't spell his name, not even gonna try). i mean, he's Indiana Jones's new sidekick. What are Zack and Cody gonna do when they ain't cute anymore, and their voices crack?
Out of work?:confused:

I'll share my cartoon memories.

I remember getting up in the 80's and early 90's on saturday mornings to watch cartoons.

I remember specifically turning to my local abc affiliate station to watch shows like "The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh", "The Real Ghostbusters", "The Wizard Of Oz", "The Bugs Bunny And Tweety Show", "Darkwing Duck", "BeetleJuice", "Cowboys Of Moo Mesa", and the live action revamped show "Land Of The Lost".

But I did watch CBS with shows like "Peewee's Play House", "Garfield And Friends", and more specifically "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".

Also I watched NBC and shows like "Captain N: The Game Master" which specially showed the Super Mario Bros 3 cartoons as well as Super Mario World cartoons.
I mean, I watched shows from all the networks. I just choose the ones that thought were best and alternated accordingly. Like if there was a rerun, I would catch another show I liked. Or watch one during the fall and catch the other one during summer reruns. Sometime I would try the turning in between commercials thing, but that is a bit more difficult.:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
NO.... No No No! That's exactly why Saturday Mornings on non-cable TV networks are faultering. The cable channels that air the same things over and over always clobber the ratings of fresh, newly aired TV shows on broadcast. Cable is partially what's killing Saturday morning television.

Nick is no small network with no credibility. I mean somtimes it's just the most logical way to go.
Yes, but there's no guarantee that Nick, Jetix, and Cartoon Network will make that show a success. Often times, they toss these aside if they don't get stellar ratings in the first airing, and they wind up quietly disappearing.

Seriously, what did Kid's WB hope to go against in the ratings with junk like Skunk Fu?

You'd think with cable, there would be a higher demand for kid's shows and animated shows, but due to the structures of the networks, and their idiot network heads, there couldn't be any less of a demand. Especially with Disney's live action menace strangling the competition, and the competition thinking it has to copy it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, they did have Kim Possible. That was pretty muhc a hit.
Yeah, but like so many other relatively recent favorites that've either bit the dust (Teen Titans, Invader Zim, & Danny Phantom as examples) or are being overexposed--i.e. showing the same episodes repeatedly--whenever they air (Avatar), even she has been outmatched by the executive decisions made by the corporate idiots at the top of the entertainment/political/world food chain.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Seriously, what did Kid's WB hope to go against in the ratings with junk like Skunk Fu?
Sounds like they would get lowest common denominator if they were lucky.:stick_out_tongue:

You'd think with cable, there would be a higher demand for kid's shows and animated shows, but due to the structures of the networks, and their idiot network heads, there couldn't be any less of a demand.
I think with all the television channels out there owned by just I few. I think many of them share the same execs.:stick_out_tongue:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, but like so many other relatively recent favorites that've either bit the dust (Teen Titans, Invader Zim, & Danny Phantom as examples) or are being overexposed--i.e. showing the same episodes repeatedly--whenever they air (Avatar)
I think there finally going to show new episodes sometime this summer in the states.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds like they would get lowest common denominator if they were lucky.:stick_out_tongue:

No. They just got something from another country, as it's cheaper. And no more going to Japan for hits. It's all about places in Europe and Canada. Not that I would mind, but the stuff we've been getting from Nelvana lately is pure kiddy garbage (once again, My Friend Rabbit. What kid do you know would rush to see that? What kids do you know who have even heard of it?)

I'd say, it would be great to get the Canadian dub of the French cartoon The New Adventures of Lucky Luke.... but having seen what they do with Asian, Mexican, and native American Stereotypes (even if it is supposed to be satire of 1940's Cowboy films), that would NEVER happen.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I think with all the television channels out there owned by just I few. I think many of them share the same execs.:stick_out_tongue:
True. Time Warner own The CW (formerly The WB & UPN) & Cartoon Network, whilst Viacom owns MTV & Nickelodeon, and Disney owns Disney, Toon Disney/Jextix, & ABC Family (and has stock in the regular ABC, as well).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the exact problem. Why compete with yourself?

No wonder Children's Tv has taken a nose dive. And it's a lot more recent than you'd figure too.