Saturday Morning memories thread

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
If they stopped showing animated PSA's, then animation would really be in trouble.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they stopped showing animated PSA's, then animation would really be in trouble.
Well, the only animated PSA's I've seen basically use clips from movies (There are several Disney made using The Little Mermaid for conservation and preservation of oceans, Cars for car safety, and Meet the Robinsons for young inventors). The mail truck one, I must admit is funny and well animated, but I didn't realize that was an issue. I saw this one about Thunder and Lightning, and the animation looked like something a grade school student did in five minutes...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well, the only animated PSA's I've seen basically use clips from movies (There are several Disney made using The Little Mermaid for conservation and preservation of oceans, Cars for car safety, and Meet the Robinsons for young inventors). The mail truck one, I must admit is funny and well animated, but I didn't realize that was an issue. I saw this one about Thunder and Lightning, and the animation looked like something a grade school student did in five minutes...
The latest poitical message I saw was several of the cars from the Pixar movie "Cars" talking about using a seatbelt and what not. But that was a few years ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah.. the one with the seatbelts. They still run that from time to time. I think the Cinderella "booster seat" PSA was a total stretch though...

xochval15

Reaction score
How I miss Saturday Morning Cartoons. I used to watch PacMan, ScoobyDoo, Great Space Coaster, Muppet Babies, School House Rock.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I used to watch PacMan! Of course not doing it's original run, heh!

Xerus

Reaction score
I noticed that each decade of cartoons had a different fad the networks kept trying to copy.

In the 70's, when Scooby Doo became popular, networks tried to make a whole bunch of teen mystery solving cartoons. Otherwise known as "Meddling Kids!" There was Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Clue Club, Jabberjaw, Fangface, The Phunky Phantom, The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, Josie and the Pussycats, Rickety Rocket, and Speed Buggy.

The 80's were about action figures like G.I. Joe, He-man, and Thundercats. Also cartoons about sitcom stars like Gary Coleman, Punky Brewster, The Dukes, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Shirley, and the Fonz.

The 90's allowed cartoons to be zany and off the wall like Ren and Stimpy and Animaniacs. Plus after the popularity of the Ninja Turtles, they started making cartoons about human-like animal warriors like Biker Mice From Mars, Street Sharks, and Road Rovers.

And in the 00's, after the success of Pokemon. Monster collecting shows became the new thing like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Duel Masters, Dinosaur King, Magi-Nation, and the upcoming new series Huntik.

I just wonder what fad the 10's will bring?

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I reiterate.... Junk food commercials CAN co-exist with PSA's about healthy eating. The only PSA's I ever seem to see are about staying away from Mail Trucks... not joking on this one. Where the heck are kids getting run over by so many mail trucks, and how lazy do you have to be as a parent to tell kids not to run in the street?
LOL! Oh man some kids must be really stupid
"Out of the way; I'm going to murder you, I'm a Mail enthusiast!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
LOL! Oh man some kids must be really stupid
It's not so much kids as their lazy parents that expect their kids to raise themselves watching TV. Which, by and by, is why we have this mess to begin with. I still say, where the heck are the likes of Timer, and all them blokes who came in and said not to eat junk food every five seconds? Apparently, they can take breakfast cereals off the market, make children's programming unprofitable, but when it comes to educating kids about making smart choices they're all thumbs. :big_grin:

Seriously... if you're not smart enough to know a big vehicle could hurt you, you may just be too stupid to leave the house. Ha ha...

On a positive note, it seems Cartoon Network has indeed decided to stop with its live action initiative... Kamen Rider is going to air on the CW4Kids instead of CN as originally intended... but then again, nothing is stopping them from airing irrelevant live action movies in random places. Adventures in Babysitting? If you really want to watch it that badly, Target has them on DVD for like 4 bucks... :insatiable:

Xerus

Reaction score
They said starting in Januray, FOX's 4Kids Saturday morning lineup will officially end. I checked my TiVo guide for this Saturday and it looks like they will still be showing just reruns of Sonic X, Biker Mice From Mars, and Di-Gata Defenders while the other two hours will be infomercials. So it looks like FOX 4Kids might only be halfway gone for now.