Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Boppity

Reaction score
I'm almost finished with all the episodes! I'd only seen a few from season 3 before :] So far I think this season is the best.
I have to complain about the cover, too. I kind of want to take it to Photoshop and fix it up a bit...but they could have used a new shot! I think what really bugs me is Floyd in the back...he looks so out of place.
Another thing I found slightly weird was in the Roger Miller episode, there was a Floyd-chicken playing bass in the final number, but then a regular chicken playing bass in the end credits...twas weird XD

Aside from that, I love it! (Even if those bird-headed people scare me...) I can't wait for the final two seasons!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Man I'm loving it so far, it's a bummer that the Muppets on Puppets special audio gets cut though, but it's great I'm loving it.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I've been loving watching Season 3 and have to agree with the sentiments expressed before about how the show feels like it's hit it's stride with this season.

I've only watched Disc 1 and the Alice Cooper episode plus the Purina commercials and the "Company of Players" and part of "Muppets on Puppets".

I gotta say that I shall never watch the Leo Sayer episode again...well, you can never say never but he is the weirdest, no, creepiest guest they've ever had...he was almost unbearable to watch!

My favorites so far have been Pearl Bailey and Jean Stapleton. I got chills during Jean's episode when the entire theater is shown! The Muppet Theater is THE most awesome place! When I was little I wanted to live back stage and now that I'm big, I STILL want to live back stage!

I think Alice Cooper's episode was AWESOME! And it will now become a part of the annual Halloween TV tradition.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think Alice Cooper's episode was AWESOME! And it will now become a part of the annual Halloween TV tradition.
Same here with this episode. Can't wait for Halloween to come around now so i can share this one with my necies.

ploobis

Reaction score
Same here with this episode. Can't wait for Halloween to come around now so i can share this one with my necies.
Don't forget about the Vincent Price episode too!

I know Vincent Price was in season 1 but what would Halloween be with out the VP episode?

We should all watch the VP and AC episodes of The Muppet Show every Halloween! :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I just would rather have the uncut version too. I need to find (buy) the DVD that came out with them two episodes on it other then bring two DVD's over.

ploobis

Reaction score
I just would rather have the uncut version too. I need to find (buy) the DVD that came out with them two episodes on it other then bring two DVD's over.
You mean how the two episodes were both on one of the Time Life DVD's?

I have all 15 of the Time Life Muppet Shows on VHS!

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
If you remember Wolf. In the first season Scooter was already there in the first few episodes then they had an episode later on which introduces him too. But i was wondering the samething. I went to Muppet Wiki to see this and thought shouldn't Annie's first appearance episode be first on the disc or what? But then i thought since they did Scooter the same way that's why happened again.
Basically what it all boils down to is they never made the Muppet Show series with any strong purposeful continuity flow. I mean often they just introduced new Muppet characters with little or no background story as to where they came from and they certainly never attempted to offer any explanation for the characters who disappeared, such as Hilda. You can essentially watch all the episodes in any order jumping back and forth among seasons and they function naturally as stand alone shows.

Anyway I look forward to my season 3 copy when my brother buys it for me as a Christmas present. I know it seems so far away, but I'll last it out.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Fozzie and Rowlf's "Actors life for me" song is in two diffrent episodes? did any one noticed that? or am i not thinking clearly? lol! Was it just always like that a reused skit? I like that one a lot, just didn't know it was used twice. are there any other skits reused like that? i mean i know about the newsman on season one dvds.

David French

Reaction score
Now for another problem, I have all 120 epsodes of The Muppet Show on VHS, mostly from various sources, Nickelodeon, US, Canadian re runs etc. What do I do with them now? As season 2 and three are both COMPLETE it seems silly to keep all these VHS tapes, but some have the original ITC ending, but does that few seconds really justify keeping them all, with the better sound and picture quality, I would always watch the DVD's in the future anyway? Just wandered what others in this situation were doing?

Chris
I'd keep them; even though I've got the first two season sets, I've still got some off-air episodes on VHS that use the HIT! logo which I intend on keeping. That way I can compare and contrast with other fans on the different endings that were used over the years.

Basically what it all boils down to is they never made the Muppet Show series with any strong purposeful continuity flow. I mean often they just introduced new Muppet characters with little or no background story as to where they came from and they certainly never attempted to offer any explanation for the characters who disappeared, such as Hilda. You can essentially watch all the episodes in any order jumping back and forth among seasons and they function naturally as stand alone shows.
Sorry Bill, but that's wrong. It's quite clear from watching the episodes and studying the original recording order and UK & US air dates that there was a continuity flow in place.

In the US and UK, the Jim Nabors episode aired before the Ruth Buzzi episode which indicates they always intended the former episode to be Scooter's debut. The character doesn't appear in the original Juliet Prowse or Connie Stevens pilots, nor does he appear in the Joel Grey and Rita Moreno episodes.

As I said earlier in this thread, the production order is not the same as the recording order; episodes were occasionally recorded out of order most likely owing to the availability of the guest star.

Does anyone know why Fozzie and Rowlf's "Actors life for me" song is in two diffrent episodes? did any one noticed that? or am i not thinking clearly? lol! Was it just always like that a reused skit? I like that one a lot, just didn't know it was used twice. are there any other skits reused like that? i mean i know about the newsman on season one dvds.
Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge's episode was recorded in February 1978, while Pearl Bailey's was recorded in March 1978. Bailey's episode, however, aired first in the UK in April 1978 while Kris & Rita's episode aired in December 1978. The likely scenario is that Kris & Rita's episode underran meaning they had to drop in some more skits (which would explain the reuse of "New York State of Mind").