I'm going to be a puppeteer in Little Shop Of Horrors!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
The puppets are amazingly detailed! if i can figure out a way to put pic's up i will! Rehearsals are a lot of fun and i love working with the puppets. being in Pod 3 is a very sweaty role, but i love it and it's my favorite puppet from the show! We also have a great cast and get along great and joke around a lot! The show is coming up soon! I can't believe it and i can't wait!:smile:

muppetfan89

Reaction score
congrats man! I'm also going to be Audrey II, but for my high school and I might be doing the voice as well, but I'm not sure yet. Good luck, though.

Jinx

Reaction score
There's really NO way to effectively do both the voice and the manuipulation. There is simply too much mass to the puppets to be able to move them at the speed they need and have adequate air for singing and speaking. Not to mention the various postures of manipulating the puppets are not at all conducive to good singing.

Believe me, if it were practical to do so, they would have done it in the commercial runs of the show. Producers hate to hire any more people than they absolutely need!

It is also an exhiliarating experience to co-create a charater, learning to follow various sounds from the "voice" as he learns to give voice to the assorted movements.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
congrats man! I'm also going to be Audrey II, but for my high school and I might be doing the voice as well, but I'm not sure yet. Good luck, though.
Wow, lucky, my director refuses to let anyone in the regular cast audition to be any part of the plant at all. :concern: She said she was going to get a techie to do the puppetry and one of my friends who has never even done theater to be the voice (all this after she tells me that she cannot pre-cast). That doesn't mean I'm going to back down from auditioning to be the puppeteer, though. Wish me luck come December. :smirk:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The puppets are amazingly detailed! if i can figure out a way to put pic's up i will! Rehearsals are a lot of fun and i love working with the puppets. being in Pod 3 is a very sweaty role, but i love it and it's my favorite puppet from the show! We also have a great cast and get along great and joke around a lot! The show is coming up soon! I can't believe it and i can't wait!:smile:
You should do before and after pictures of yourself. A picture before the show, and then one after the show. That could be fun to see what difference is made by being in the sweaty plant puppet.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
There's really NO way to effectively do both the voice and the manuipulation. There is simply too much mass to the puppets to be able to move them at the speed they need and have adequate air for singing and speaking. Not to mention the various postures of manipulating the puppets are not at all conducive to good singing.

Believe me, if it were practical to do so, they would have done it in the commercial runs of the show. Producers hate to hire any more people than they absolutely need!

It is also an exhiliarating experience to co-create a charater, learning to follow various sounds from the "voice" as he learns to give voice to the assorted movements.
I was thinking that, too, and I told the director that, too. I suggested that we pre-record the voice. Could that work?

KaityDid

Reaction score
I was thinking that, too, and I told the director that, too. I suggested that we pre-record the voice. Could that work?
it's easier if you have a sepearte Audry II and the voice. i think thats what most productions do.

Jinx

Reaction score
Recording the dialog/singing would be extremely difficult as well, because of the nuances of timing. Certain portions, such as the middle part of "Feed me/Git It", and especially the timing against Seymour's and Mushnik's dialog in "Suppertime" would be near impossible. It would require a separate, dedicated sound operator who could hit every cue perfectly. It would also rob the performance of the spontenaeity that is inherent in any live performance. In short, it really is not a good idea.

At the end of the day, the character is written the way it is for very good reasons! Little Shop of Horrors is really one of the best-structured plays when you analyze it. It is expertly crafted, and producers will do well to avoid messing with it too much.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Show opened last night!

We have been rehearsing non stop and I have been so busy! We finally opened last night! it was amazing! Again I'm the head puppeteer Audrey 2 (pod's 1, 3, & 4) Everyone has been so impressed and we have a fantastic cast! Everyone fit's their part so well! I am enjoying everything and will be sad when it's done because everything has been so much fun! But we still have 8 performances to go! i have one tonight! I do have some pics on my facebook, but i don't know if there's a way can post them here?
I was on our local A.M Buffalo news channel live with pod # 3 last Wednesday promoting the show with the actors of Seymour and the voice of the plant as well as our director. it was so cool and my first time on TV!:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, Zack,

You can post a link to your photos here. I'd love to see them. Don't forget the one photo before you go into the plant and before the performance, and the photo of you after the performance in the plants! I think it's be fun to see the before and after shots.

"This is what being in a plant will do to you. Any questions?" :smile: