I'm going to be a puppeteer in Little Shop Of Horrors!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Recording the dialog/singing would be extremely difficult as well, because of the nuances of timing. Certain portions, such as the middle part of "Feed me/Git It", and especially the timing against Seymour's and Mushnik's dialog in "Suppertime" would be near impossible. It would require a separate, dedicated sound operator who could hit every cue perfectly. It would also rob the performance of the spontaneity that is inherent in any live performance. In short, it really is not a good idea.
I've actually done shows like this (where the voice is prerecorded) in situations where a celebrity or specific actor provides the voice(s) and can't be in the theatre every night. It actually works just fine if you have a good sound operator; having them hit their cues perfectly is no more or less difficult than having an actor or singer do the same.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Was the music pre-recorded with the voice-over? That would work easily enough I reckon.

muppetinsider

Reaction score
Wow, congrats to you! Make sure you have plenty of video to post. It's always interesting seeing different productions of Little Shop!:big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Was the music pre-recorded with the voice-over? That would work easily enough I reckon.
Each line (or set of lines) was recorded as an individual track. The sound technician had a special machine (sorry I don't remember what it was called) that he used to cue lines.

That way live actors could interact with the puppets. Although the puppet's lines were canned, the actor's could improv if they had to (so long as they finished with an appropriate cue line) and the performance sounded fairly spontaneous.

I don't think it's the ideal way to do a show, but in this case the voices were all famous actors like Martin Short, Eugene Levy, and Nathan Lane and had to be recorded months before the show so it worked quite well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's cool, Buck!

Zack, what's the re-cap of the show's run? It's over now, right?

muppetinsider

Reaction score
Isn't every show at least once or twice taped? At least for reference or to look back on for the actors. Sometimes it's not an outside videographer that is hired but just someone within the theater group that video tapes it.

Jinx

Reaction score
Actually it is illegal to tape even your own production of a licensed play. It is secifically stated in the performance agreement with (in the case of Little Shop opf Horrors Music Theatre International) that you are not permitted to record any aspect of your production.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you guys, Zack did a great job on the show, esepecially during the second act. It was fantastic! And I couldn't believe the puppets. They were pretty good. Very detailed, as Zack brought out earlier.

The whole cast was pretty much perfect. Seymour's performance was very animated, and he had the character down perfect. I think I fell in love a little with Audrey. :flirt: She had a great voice and is a very good actress. And the guy playing the dentist (and everyone else) was hillarious!

I wanted to see it again, I really wish I could have. Zack and I passed by each other before I realized who he was, and unfortunately I never got to say hi. Maybe another time.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hey Scoot! I can not thank you enough for coming to see the show! I'm sorry i missed you, i think you said you noticed me before the show? I always peek out the side door to see which of my friends, family, co workers etc were sitting and to see who was there. i got over 90 people to come see the show in our two week run, there were even a few people who knew me that didn't know i was in the show when they came!

I also felt the whole cast was perfect for every part! When I went to the first read through rehearsal i was very happy with the voice of the plant, Joe, the voice actor did an amazing job and he and i worked together like magic! I'm sad that it is over, but with the way the cast and crew grew together like a family there had been talk about bringing the show back in the spring maybe like in May. I so hope that we do! and the director wants to build an even bigger pod # 4! The show was great and it really was a dream come true. people said It wasn't like a community theater show and many said that it was one of the best things that the Opera House has has ever done! I gotta get some stuff together but i will post pics, and a review when i can!

I am going to miss it so much, but hopefully we will be back, but this is just the start of my acting debut. I am already in a new show, "Crazy for You" as a cowboy through word of mouth from a few members of the cast who were in little shop and are going to be in Crazy for you. there were in need of a few extra cow boys. show opens soon though! Nov 20th! but it's been great jumping right into a new show!

Thank you to all for your support, advice, and stories! I did everything i could to be the best Audrey 2! I got to see the tape of the show after we closed and i was amazed with the show and myself!