Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Come on. You know as much as I do that it's gonna be a sanitized version of the real world. If it were the world we really live in, the Fraggles would stay in their holes and never never never ever come out.

I like that idea... the world will change by seeing Fraggles, Wombles, or Chozzles being peaceful. Yeah, that's going to stop the war profiteers from altering religious texts to cause rediculous wars that affect everyone negatively, except the people in power, and the war profiteers. That's gonna get the KKK to disband saying, "well, the Civil War was almost 200 years ago, and we lost. We should just grow up, and not blame people who aren't white for the fact we're a bunch of braindead lazy bums." And it sure the heck is gonna make it so the richest people in the country aren't the only ones that can afford healthcare.

It's a kid's movie first and foremost. Do you think we'd get to anything slightly as dark as that? We'd get them mildly saying that racism is pointless, and hatrid is moronic. But subtlely.
Actually I think Fraggle Rock was often pretty dark and often went places you wouldn't expect. It didn't just mildy say racism is pointless. Every other show does that. (We probably agree on this, just wording things differently. :wink: )

I personally hope the Fraggles are able to show the different social and political sides in our society that they're not that different from each other (for good and bad) and stop the constant bickering. :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I personally hope the Fraggles are able to show the different social and political sides in our society that they're not that different from each other (for good and bad) and stop the constant bickering.
And show how...silly...it is for us Silly Creature humans to be at each other's throats for differences at every turn.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually I think Fraggle Rock was often pretty dark and often went places you wouldn't expect. It didn't just mildy say racism is pointless. Every other show does that. (We probably agree on this, just wording things differently. :wink: )

Good point. Though I still think the human world will be kiddy movie sanitized. I mean, Uncle Matt's segments only dealt with oddities and miscomprehensions of common Human things. In no way did he ever see anything that would make him write, "NEVER EVER leave your Fraggle Holes. Outer Space is a mess, and you could get killed."

Part of Jim Henson's legacy was to try to teach the world to get along with each other. He knew we could, and whether you believe it's naivety or brilliance, he wanted to show it was possible. That is the underlying fraggle Thesis. We clearly will see something like that stressed in the movie, but no matter how hard you stress it, the message is only open to people who want to listen to it.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I like that idea... the world will change by seeing Fraggles, Wombles, or Chozzles being peaceful. Yeah, that's going to stop the war profiteers from altering religious texts to cause rediculous wars that affect everyone negatively, except the people in power, and the war profiteers. That's gonna get the KKK to disband saying, "well, the Civil War was almost 200 years ago, and we lost. We should just grow up, and not blame people who aren't white for the fact we're a bunch of braindead lazy bums." And it sure the heck is gonna make it so the richest people in the country aren't the only ones that can afford healthcare.
Well, if it were written like a typical Dinosaurs episode, it WOULD come out that way ... for laughs. However, it WOULD be inappropriate and un-Fraggley to have such a sense of humor.

It's a kid's movie first and foremost. Do you think we'd get to anything slightly as dark as that? We'd get them mildly saying that racism is pointless, and hatrid is moronic. But subtlely.
Dark? You mean like nearly crushing Red and Boober in a cave-in? Or dropping Gobo down various holes and crevices? Or the near-constant "threat" of Gorg thumping? Or hiding cannons and various other WMD's in certain caves? Or getting everybody buzzed on Whoopie Water, which was like alcohol + Red Bull? Or making Boober fascinated with the macabre? Or carnivorous plants and tunnels? I've been watching the DVD's ... I am quite frankly surprised any Fraggle lives at all.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I could see something happening where the Fraggles step out into the real world, sort of see what kind of a mess it's in, and learning from it for themselves. Perhaps it starts out with the Fraggle five having some sort of conflict, they head out into the real world, and see what they're doing happening out here, only worse. They learn from what they see. And, though they can't change the world, they can change themselves. ... or something like that.

I do agree that the film will likely present a somewhat sanitized world, as with all films (whether for kids or not). But I think it might end up an important plot point for the Fraggles to learn from their experiences in "outer space".

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I could see that, though I can also see them trying to convince just one human.

The thing is, we humans go about things the same way Gorgs do (did)... there are just more of us and our weapons are more powerful (assuming the Gorgs aren't hiding some mega-powerful weapon or magic in that basement of theirs).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed and sometimes, it begs one to question: Are we Silly Creatures more Fraggle-like or more Gorg-like? Anymore, it seems as though we may end up having more Gorgs in control rather than actually listening to our inner Fraggle.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I think what's important to remember is that, while the Fraggles and Gorgs did have certain distinct features, they were complex personalities. The Fraggles occasionally got cocky or selfish and made mistakes. The Gorg occasionally managed to be honorable and kind. So I guess we're all a little of both and everything. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I realize this is not the Message of FR thread, but Heralde, you have a point. I think one of the main themes is that we're all basically the same.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Aw thanks!

Yes it is sort of an extension of the idea that before you just others, you should take a good look at yourself. :smile: