Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Man,

I have a bad feeling that it's going to be hard to sell the Fraggles into a modern day audience. :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I think the idea that the general audience is only interested in modern things is a big myth many companies are choosing to buy into. It does not apply to real life.

Luke

Reaction score
From what i gathered Zappa wrote the original treatment and thats it, so i guess if they are using part of it thats why he has been given the executive producer credit. I actually liked Hoodwinked and most of the Weinsteins other stuff so i think they are probably in about the best hands they could be - Weinstein stuff seems to attract the right kind of audience and publicity that we need to find with this Fraggle film.

I wish it well, and think it will be a great movie - i don't see any worries content or storywise and i think a CGI/Puppet mix is perfect. The only thing that i'm hesitant about is whether it can attract a large enough audience. I think it's a given that a lot of nostaglic fans in their late 20's/early thirties will go and hopefully that will make it successful, but if they need to attract kids as well (like a Hoodwinked audience) i wonder if they'll be able to arract them and whether todays kids will "get it". I say this because HIT has tried airing the original series in the UK and other regions across the world on kids channels, and while it did get some interest, it wasn't enough. I guess maybe with this they will try to write it in the style of todays Pixar/Dreamworks style movies (Shrek etc) while not straying too far from the original concept, so as to give it a bit more of a familiar style.

I agree with UppityMuppety about the Henson biopic being fairly unlikely - they have no backing for it, and the sheer difficulty of doing it without any Henson/Disney/Sesame involvement would put off any distributors or backers .. and above all, it wouldn't look right without Muppets. I would like to see some kind of movie one day, but done right and by the right people.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
re: Ahmet Zappa

From what i gathered Zappa wrote the original treatment and thats it, so i guess if they are using part of it thats why he has been given the executive producer credit.
With the recent announcement of Cory Edwards helming the script, I've read a lot of bloggers and forumers misinterpreting the news. People think Zappa was ousted or replaced by Cory Edwards as the writer for the film. This isn't true, Zappa is still very much involved in the project.

Zappa (who is more of an author; and not really a polished screen writer) was hired by Henson in late 2006 to develop the initial film treatment (i.e. a very detailed outline/narrative of the story and plot). Zappa was also hired at that time to be a producer on the film. Zappa was not hired to write the script, and I don't think it was ever the plan to have him write the final screenplay.

After about 16-months of Zappa and Henson working out the concept and story, they selected and hired Cory Edwards to turn the treatment into a film-able script. Zappa's treatment will be the foundation for Edwards' script and Zappa is still involved in overseeing the film - Zappa wrote the treatment, he is continuing in the producer role and he is actually working with Edwards as he writes the final script.

Zappa chatted about his role on the film in last week's episode of the Henson.com podcast. Check out the May 20th show.

Luke

Reaction score
Zappa's treatment will be the foundation for Edwards' script and Zappa is still involved in overseeing the film - Zappa wrote the treatment, he is continuing in the producer role and he is actually working with Edwards as he writes the final script.[/URL]
Generally an executive producer will get the credit because of either having some involvement in coming up with the initial project or bringing the lead actor to the studio (for instance, Brillstein for Ghostbusters) but then usually take a back seat while still overseeing the film. I didn't know Zappa was still quite as involved in the final script though, perhaps he is more involved because of the music aspect of the film as i know that was a major interest for him in doing the movie.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think FR does not do well many times on tv, just like many older shows, not because there is not staying power, but because channels treat it like it will fail, pull it off early, and put it on tv in some weird time like midnight or two or four AM.

If Hoodwinks' target was 'today's kids' I really did not see it do very well were I lived, hardly anyone was laughing, and it was soon forgotten when the next CGI movie came along :stick_out_tongue:.
If FR is a flop in the movies because it is too 'old school' in writing style and gets pulled early that is one thing and will most likely get many older fans buying the DVD three months later (replacing that lost money) to raise little fans on it that probably already 'get it' thanks to their parents backgrounds in all things muppety from the 70's-90's.

But having the whole soul of what FR is about rewritten just to make a smash hit that is forgotten a month later is not always better than a movie that flops because of older-spirited writing IMHO.

We might get a new cartoon series and more toys out of even 'OMG so cool' FR movie doing well of course, but at least no matter what, good or bad we will still have all the 80's series boxsets by then. That is what matters most I think:excited:

It’s hard to create jokes for Fraggles, since they have no pop culture references whatsoever.
:confused: Since when are pop culture references the be all and end all of making jokes for muppet characters? Or any cartoon or live action show for that matter?
I almost wish one of the writers for Scrubs was a diehard muppet fan (and no, not in the making sex jokes way) *lol*

Someone needs to actually watch the FR tv series again if they don't know what sort of jokes to make *lol*

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This sounds solid!

Here's an interesting article about Cory Edwards who's writing the screenplay:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/28/fraggle-movie-movie-details-revealed/

Sounds promising!:excited:
This is the guy! Even though it's a departure from his other films he seems to get it. Maybe he's taking a cue from Segel's anticipated Muppet film in his approach?

:busy: Some points:
-The story outline is comprehensive, solid, fire-tested and Henson approved.
-The story is inspired by Jim Henson's idea.
-All the Fraggles are back in puppet form along with practical sets and actors for most of the film.
-Modern effects will be used sparingly and only to enhance things for good reasons rather than a gimmick. -No pop-culture jokes or "Shreking it up".
-It's not just a kid flick or a really long episode. It's a Fraggle fantasy movie with some Muppety action.
-When in doubt he asks What Would Jim Do? :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
(quotations from article)

Cory Edwards said:
"(If I see one more cute iconic character ruined by “Shrekking It Up” for easy jokes, I’m going to go postal).”
Awesomely encouraging! This is starting to sound like it's heading in the right direction.

Cory Edawards said:
“It’s my goal to do everything the “old school Muppet way.” I do believe there are many Henson fans who would have my head on a platter if I attempted anything else."
Well, I might not go THAT far... but I would send some pigs your way. :mad:

Cory Edwards said:
“I have come up with an original take based on that. There will be elements of a classic fantasy ‘quest’ movie with some traditional high-energy Muppet hijinks thrown in. My goal is to make this more than just a “cute” movie that occupies a kid’s attention span for 90 minutes. And the movie will not simply be a feature-length version of a Fraggle TV episode. It will deliver much more. I want to create something that will stay true to the spirit of the original show, but also go way beyond it. This is going to be a big fantasy adventure film that stands up to anything else at the multiplex today. Everyone involved in this project wants the same thing.”
Yay hooray!

So, it's based on a story "Henson" always wanted to do? That's great! Sooo cool.

:excited: :coy: <--Two happy Fraggles.

Redsonga

Reaction score
This is the guy! Even though it's a departure from his other films he seems to get it. Maybe he's taking a cue from Segel's anticipated Muppet film in his approach?

:busy: Some points:
-The story outline is comprehensive, solid, fire-tested and Henson approved.
-The story is inspired by Jim Henson's idea.
-All the Fraggles are back in puppet form along with practical sets and actors for most of the film.
-Modern effects will be used sparingly and only to enhance things for good reasons rather than a gimmick. -No pop-culture jokes or "Shreking it up".
-It's not just a kid flick or a really long episode. It's a Fraggle fantasy movie with some Muppety action.
-When in doubt he asks What Would Jim Do? :smile:
Well, I hope that is what he is really doing and not just what he is saying to make fans happy.:coy:. I heard good things about Doogal before it was put out to...
Of course, FR has more story to began with...
I hope the whole movie is not set in Outer Space though, since the rock itself is sort of its own character and a big part of what the fraggles draw upon...Without it as a setting to start with, they are sort of like Traveling Matt without any feeling of history...