Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well so far I am very interested in this project, as a huge Fraggle fan it will be interesting to see how this develops. Of course I am nervous it will not live up to 'our' high expectations, but we can hope.

Its great that puppets are being used and not CGI, although if CGI is needed it will used. It will be good to see Fraggle Rock updated, when the Fraggles walk down a cavern instead of the blue screen matted backgrounds that look shaky, we'll see up to date state of the art techniques so the Fraggles will look like they are walikng down the caverns.

My own idea for a Fraggle Movie if they want to take them into our world is some kind of disaster in the Rock, like the episode when the water gets contamenated, the Fraggles have no choice but to leave. The disaster episodes of Fraggle Rock are among my favs. The Fraggles encounter several adventures in 'Outer Space' and finally find a new Rock to live in, the new Rock is a bigger better brighter, more magical Fraggle Rock, this could then lead onto a possible new TV series if the film is a hit with the new location!

I wonder if Sprocket, Trash Heap and the Gorgs are going to be in it?

Time will tell, only a few years to wait! lol

Chris

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see "nostalgic" as a bad word at all. Especially when Hollywood can clearly seen better days. Being modern (or nostalgic for that matter) shouldn't be the main priority. Decent writing should be. :smile:
I'm gonna say this. If you're going to go to all that trouble, do it RIGHT. I think the Speed Racer film did real justice to the old cartoon. I mean, it really wasn't a deep thought provoking script, but neither was anything that happened in the cartoon. One could even argue the movie actually had more depth.

The fact of the matter is, when you're making a film based on an old cartoon series or TV show, watch the Tv show. You can't just make a movie semi-related to the original concept, slap the name on it, and have a watchable film. but that's what a lot of these people are doing (and I'm not going to bring up the same 2 examples yet again).

Plus, If you're making something based on a cartoon, I want it to LOOK like a cartoon. Not a cheap telefilm type deal. Half the appeal of the Flintstones movie was that they actually recreated Bedrock, down to making all the props look like they were made of rock, all the while making nods to things that happened in the TV show. Referencing the Bedrock Twitch by Rock Roll for example. Even Bullwinkle, as off as the concept turned out, made a few references to the old series, even singing the Pottsylvanian national anthem, and making the "Washington" joke.

If anything, when this film gets made, I want to see various nods to the show itself. At least referencing the point in time where the movie is supposed to take place. Are they still living near Doc, or will it take place after he moved away? And will the Gorgs still be enemy forces?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
My trepidations are eased a bit... reading about what Edwards has to say really did make me feel better about the project. I don't think Edwards is the ideal choice to write or direct, but he has his heart in the right place.

But... action scenes? What KIND of action scenes? And who will do the music? And will the Gorgs, Doozers, the Trash Heap and Philo and Gunge even be in it? What about Doc and Sprocket?

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Corey Edwards' blog

As mentioned on the Muppet Newsflash, Corey Edwards is chronicling his work on his personal blog:

www.coryscuriosities.blogspot.com

He only has two posts so far regarding the Fraggles, but they are interesting to read. One reader's comment I found very cool:

Hi ya thanks a million for comments and hello to you in LA LA Land and hello to the Fraggles wherever they are hiding, I'm not sure if you know this but over in Ireland Fraggle Rock is like an institution over here and still like crazy popular so there is alot of people very very happy to hear bout the film.

No word of a lie its not unusal to be in a pub over here and at end of night last song to be played is the fraggle theme tune and everyone goes nuts and sings along, good times lol! I hope Sprocket will be in the film!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hi ya thanks a million for comments and hello to you in LA LA Land and hello to the Fraggles wherever they are hiding, I'm not sure if you know this but over in Ireland Fraggle Rock is like an institution over here and still like crazy popular so there is alot of people very very happy to hear bout the film.

No word of a lie its not unusal to be in a pub over here and at end of night last song to be played is the fraggle theme tune and everyone goes nuts and sings along, good times lol! I hope Sprocket will be in the film!
Hehe, that makes me wish I could go to Ireland all the more.

:smile: :coy: :search: <--- presenting greenage

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Awesome. Not only due the Irish like sports (football, wrestling, etc.), but they also like institutions that would be considered somewhat...geeky...by some societal members.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Awesome. Not only due the Irish like sports (football, wrestling, etc.), but they also like institutions that would be considered somewhat...geeky...by some societal members.

I still think the time is right for this film. Not as right as it would have been years and years ago when they just left the airwaves, but with the fans of the show growing up and having kids of their own have some great family feature they all can enjoy.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed, but with we Americans in war still, how can a show designed to stop war exist?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Agreed, but with we Americans in war still, how can a show designed to stop war exist?
That makes it all the more relevant. Remember, a newspaper headline helped inspire the original series creation. The fact that the U.S. is in the middle of a war makes Fraggle Rock that much more necessary, to show how people can live in peace.

:smirk: :coy: <--- peace-loving Fraggles... :busy: <--- and Doozers, too.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And the Gorgs (Junior, cheifly) teach us to learn and become wise, as do the riddle-sounding Cantus and advice-giving Majory, the Trash Heap.