Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think that sounds a bit like an adult who thinks their kids will really love vegetables cos they're extra crispy when they really want to eat fries.
And that sounds like an adult that thinks that a kid can not be raised on vegetables from the time they are babies nowadays and actually *like* them :wink:.
I think parents have more than a passing say in the shaping of child's character and viewing habits. Plus it has a lot to do with how ruled they are by todays media and tastes, and even without their parents input every child is different.
But I think parents should do more actual parenting than the many that just stepping back and saying "oh well, that's just how kids nowadays are." and letting all heck break lose, and then wondering where they went wrong -.- But then, that is a whole other rant ^.~...
Back in those days (as 7-10 year olds) we still used to watch colorful shows with songs and puppets, nowdays that would be strictly pre-schooler territory and your average 7-10 year old would be wanting Ben 10 or Stormhawks.
I watched it waaay past that age, SS to. The thing is average 7-10 year old is really not that average at all, I give them credit for having minds understanding enough to 'get' puppets and universal messages. Not every child likes what they are forcedfed on tv, it is just there,and I know that can be applied to anything but..I refuse to believe that this generation is lost to deeper thinking and understanding of fraggles in favor of Ben 10 :\. For one, there are better anime style shows in the first place, and for two, the fraggle message is ten times taster than carrots if you actually sit down to watch it :wink:. And for three, you sound like you could use some watching of FR yourself, sheesh !:smile: The FR message is truly truly not not some dusty old cobweb of the past :\.

I think being blatently honest, there is absolutely zero chance of a kid seeing a traditional Fraggle trailer and actually wanting to see it.
Nothing is absolute, let alone a whole generations feelings. Anyhow, of course it is going to have CGI I never said I was against it. I just hope it is good CGI, the sort that blends in well with live action, not the kind you tell sticks out like a poorly made doozer tower :\.

And gah, I just went back and read some of those comments on some of those movie stories posted here..One of which saying that only middleaged hippies would like FR :stick_out_tongue:. Honestly, I was rased by the hippie generation, but is peace and friendship truly such an eye rolling idea when we live in this world of school shootings and war and floods?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:coy: I think the Fraggles have always been underestimated by executives etc. The Fraggle Movie will be the first exposure to many people, but there's just something magnetic about them. I think this project will do just fine - possibly even opening at the top slot (considering what it is up against of course).

I actually have concerns that it could be too popular. I don’t want to see the Fraggles turn into just another money machine. :busy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree, but then it did have a lot of things made to make money off it back in the day, so I don't think the toys, and maybe even a new cartoon series made out of it if it does well enough, would be that much of a bad thing if done well :smile:.
Maybe a new line of musical Fraggle Rocker instruments (I still love my old drum) and a fraggle rock underloadable expansion pack for Guitar Hero or Rock Band? *lol* Who knows :smile:! :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's absolutely not true. You're probably refering to hearing/reading the phrase "Live Action Puppets" which simply means they'll be using the actual puppets and not relying on completely CGI images. Thank goodness. :smile: Here's a funny article concerning this on Tough Pigs: http://toughpigs.com/2008/05/live-action-puppets.html
So in a sense we ARE getting humans to play them, as they ARE the puppeteers. After the Thunderbirds debacle, I don't think we'll see any more humanifications of puppets in movies (maybe sketch shows) for some time.

Anyway, I agree that the Fraggles could be successful. That is according to the logic that the people who watched it have kids of their own. And they're probably old enough to be taken to a movie theater with no complaint or antics.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Or are kids at heart that don't have kids yet themselves but have friends that have them :excited:.
I have many of those types of friends :wink:. Never underestimate the power of a determined Auntie Becky of many little ones that already love Fraggle Rock :coy:.
If we all do our parts wherever we live to get the word out that can do ten times what just hoping will do IMHO ^.^

Beauregard

Reaction score
Slightly off topic...but am I the only person who sees this thread and thinks, "Weinstein Rolls" sound mighty delicious and should maybe be served with a side-salad?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Or are kids at heart that don't have kids yet themselves but have friends that have them :excited:.
I
Or are kids at heart that believe that the FR message is just as timeless a word of warning as the words preceeding the Wizard of Oz. Heck, in comparing messages, musical score, and character depth, FR could be considered by some to be the Wizard of Oz for Henson, because both are classics to a degree, both have a brillant musical score (complete with memorable songs), and both have characters all can relate to.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Or are kids at heart that believe that the FR message is just as timeless a word of warning as the words preceeding the Wizard of Oz. Heck, in comparing messages, musical score, and character depth, FR could be considered by some to be the Wizard of Oz for Henson, because both are classics to a degree, both have a brillant musical score (complete with memorable songs), and both have characters all can relate to.
I know, I think like that to, I really don't like how 'give peace a chance' messages are now thought of as just something best left in the 70's-80's. The nature of being human really has not changed, the world at large has just become detached and desensitized that it takes more effort to remind them of more simple and good ways of thinking, and just a basic nice story. It may not change the world, but I think it brings at least peace of mind, something we all could use a bit more of IMHO :smile:...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed. As one Travis Randall (Randy Travis) on Hey Arnold! sang, "I'd like to stay right here & keep the simple things."