Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Redsonga

Reaction score
I still think the time is right for this film. Not as right as it would have been years and years ago when they just left the airwaves, but with the fans of the show growing up and having kids of their own have some great family feature they all can enjoy.
Not that it would be limited to those of our generation with kids:coy:

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
Real Actors?

What is this rumor about hiring real humans to play in the Fraggle movie? Does anybody know?:search:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
What is this rumor about hiring real humans to play in the Fraggle movie? Does anybody know?:search:
It's absolutely not true. You're probably refering to hearing/reading the phrase "Live Action Puppets" which simply means they'll be using the actual puppets and not relying on completely CGI images. Thank goodness. :smile: Here's a funny article concerning this on Tough Pigs: http://toughpigs.com/2008/05/live-action-puppets.html

Redsonga

Reaction score

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
Im glad too... fraggle rock wouldn't be fraggle rock with human actors. excep' for the old man.

Luke

Reaction score
Certainly not. Fans of all ages could enjoy this film, if the film is done right.
They don't have fans of all ages, thats the point. I can see the benefits of keeping it original in terms of puppetry but the writer says he won't be "shrekking it up" and in the next breath talks about writing jokes for Fraggles. I think it's obvious (and will be insisted on by the people in charge) they write it in a very modern style so as to attract kids from the trailler since there is no Fraggle child name recognition and they won't be able to have as major a promotional campaign as someone like Disney or Dreamworks. It may be that they don't do any "shrekking up" just for the sake of it but it does need something, to at least bear some resembleance to one of these modern films that kids see each summer at the movies - if they do it like an 80's Fraggle episode it'll flop. You just can't put something different in front of kids and expect them to appreciate it - their world is different than ours was and what was a classic to us might not be to them. It needs to be a mix between both styles to attract the family audience if its going to be a theatrical.

Redsonga

Reaction score
You just can't put something different in front of kids and expect them to appreciate it - their world is different than ours was and what was a classic to us might not be to them.
Their world isn't really that different, that is just what the media thinks. Something different is just what they need IMHO, they've been given too much of the same day in and day out. If the movie was to flop because of being too faithful than I say, let it. Like many movies that flopped in theaters it could easily become a cult classic years later that everyone loves.
They don't have fans of all ages, thats the point.
But they do. They have many age groups that remember and love them from all nations, and the new generation of families that own the boxsets + all the friends they have introduced to it since then. I really don't think we should underestimate the power of actually having nearly the whole series out on DVD now, and having its messages that actually are not dated at all. The same ideals of peace and understanding matter even more now in this global world where internet brings us together, then it did back then when other parts of the world were just names on a map or once in a while trips to us :smile:.

Luke

Reaction score
Their world isn't really that different, that is just what the media thinks. Something different is just what they need IMHO, they've been given too much of the same day in and day out. If the movie was to flop because of being too faithful than I say, let it. Like many movies that flopped in theaters it could easily become a cult classic years later that everyone loves.
I think that sounds a bit like an adult who thinks their kids will really love vegetables cos they're extra crispy when they really want to eat fries. Sure WE might think kids need something like Fraggle but the movie business isn't about forcing kids to go (although i can see some parents doing that, lol). I think being blatently honest, there is absolutely zero chance of a kid seeing a traditional Fraggle trailer and actually wanting to see it. They really need to introduce it as an entirely new concept and make it a bit more relevant to what kids watch today if they have any hope of making it a success. It doesn't need to be full of pop culture references and fart jokes, it just needs something - maybe a bit of CGI, maybe a much faster pace and more fun/less message. I don't think they would ever look at it from the attitude its ok if it fails - looks like it will be Henson's first theatrical with the Weinsteins so failure isn't an option, and they certainly need to look more mass market than just families who've shown their kids the DVD's.

To me, Fraggle is a tricky one. I would like to see it succeed but i just don't see the audience for it. If the retro bandwagon is still rolling on at the time of release and they manage through promotion to build up a bit of retro fever for it they could possibly do ok with it, but i think Fraggle may be one of those brands that were better left in the past. Back in those days (as 7-10 year olds) we still used to watch colorful shows with songs and puppets, nowdays that would be strictly pre-schooler territory and your average 7-10 year old would be wanting Ben 10 or Stormhawks. Even modernizing it a bit i'm still not sure the story or concept to Fraggle would even be as attractive to kids as something like Hoodwinked (that didnt do that well). Muppets will have a better chance with loads of groundwork and massive PR budgets, a popular lead actor to draw people in. I'm just not quite sure where they could go with Fraggle, whether there are enough people who would watch it if they just kept it traditional and aimed it at adults who remembered it - it really needs to attract a whole family.

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
Please!

Check out my thread The Puppet Show: What do you think? in Puppetry. Please tell me what you think.