Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
The kind of edge they should stay away from are pop culture references of Outer Space because Fraggles are timeless and not supposed to know about such things. That's the edge that would be icky.

Considering the Muppet movie is shooting now and the Happy Time Murders is shooting in January, you'd think that Weinstein would want to get something Fraggley in production pretty soon.
That's the worst part, isn't it? Edge IS very subjective. But the other thing is, people want to move AWAY from edge as far as kiddy movies go. Edge is usually a bad thing, I know it, the filmmakers know it, the film going public knows it... but somehow everyon'e STILL inexplicably drawn to making movies edgy.

To me, edgy means, all characters have to be mean for some reason, one has to be an obvious loud obnoxious stereotype of a minority, they have to make obvious references to movies every single minute (reusing the dreaded line from Scarface a million more times till it loses all its meaning) putting as many at the moment (and I mean red hot at the moment at the moment... just out of the box, not even a year in showbusiness) people in the film artificially, and of course, dancing to obvious, passe G-rated Hip Hop from as recent as 10 years ago.

In other words, Kangaroo Jack for example.

Now, I don't see how backhanded compliment at the human race , which is what Fraggle Rock essentially is, isn't the edgiest thing you can think of. Dinosaurs wasn't just edgy, it was downright subversive. And it didn't need non-stop hip hop soundtracks and wisecracking minority family friendly stereotypes. But Fraggles always mirrored the human experiance in a fun house mirror saying "you're being ridiculous, you know that?" without being in your face preachy (cough cough Captain Planet).

As for the other films... if nothing else, waiting to see how ell they both do would be a good sign for them to start the film, sure... but we have another year before the Muppet movie... and we wouldn't see FR foreseeably until 2013 at the EARLIEST if things go according to plan.

Mupp

Reaction score
That's the worst part, isn't it? Edge IS very subjective. But the other thing is, people want to move AWAY from edge as far as kiddy movies go. Edge is usually a bad thing, I know it, the filmmakers know it, the film going public knows it... but somehow everyon'e STILL inexplicably drawn to making movies edgy.

To me, edgy means, all characters have to be mean for some reason...
Yeah, that's very often what it means.

When Toy Story was being developed, Jeffrey Katzenberg (he was at Disney at the time) was a big fan of "edgy" which meant "adult", characters who were smart alecs, almost on the edge of insult humor.
Pixar kept getting notes from Disney, and Pixar would do their best to address all of the notes,

When they showed the story reels to Disney, it was awful. Referred to as "black Friday"
Luckily, Pixar was allowed to have two weeks to turn things around, (to make the kind of movie that they wanted to make) and the rest is history.

As an example of how bad it was, here is some of the story reels that were shown on that "black Friday" screening;

(The audio is out of sync, but you can still get the idea, this footage came from a DVD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh2kTEy8EYY&feature=related

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's very often what it means.

When Toy Story was being developed, Jeffrey Katzenberg (he was at Disney at the time) was a big fan of "edgy" which meant "adult", characters who were smart alecs, almost on the edge of insult humor.
Pixar kept getting notes from Disney, and Pixar would do their best to address all of the notes,
That was mentioned SPECIFICALLY by Corey in his movie blog. And that's what him and all of us were worried about.

Of course, knowing Katzenbuerg almost ruined Toy Story, I can CLEARLY see where Sharktale comes from. :rolleyes:

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
my concern now is that since Wienstein can't get off their ***** and release Hoodwinked 2 already how long will we have to wait till this film actually gets released?

beau

Reaction score
my concern now is that since Wienstein can't get off their ***** and release Hoodwinked 2 already how long will we have to wait till this film actually gets released?
None of us have any idea.

But with the new Muppets film being shot now, it'd probably better to wait a bit longer, because I don't think Steve Whitmire or Dave Goelz can do two projects at once.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The fact that they adamantly refuse to release a movie that's completed is the thing that worries me about the future of this project. Again, I just want them to go bankrupt so someone else has a shot of doing this film, and giving the rights to Hoodwinked 2 back to the ACTUAL people who did the movie.

Really, the studio must REALLY be poorly run if they can't even release a movie that's done without someone suing them till they get it out.

dwmckim

Reaction score
None of us have any idea.

But with the new Muppets film being shot now, it'd probably better to wait a bit longer, because I don't think Steve Whitmire or Dave Goelz can do two projects at once.
Yes they can - with careful planning.

The Muppets did several major projects at once in their heyday (1979 especially being a "full-calendar" year). Elmo in Grouchland and Muppets From Space were done at about the same time. More than one major projects can be done within a small window as long as someone good with details works out the schedules.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes they can - with careful planning.

The Muppets did several major projects at once in their heyday (1979 especially being a "full-calendar" year). Elmo in Grouchland and Muppets From Space were done at about the same time. More than one major projects can be done within a small window as long as someone good with details works out the schedules.
Unless they somehow pull this thing out of thin air, there's no concern for that, now is there? Way things are going, they'll have a nice 3 millennia vacation before they have to go film this thing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They'll probably shoot "The Muppets" until the end of the year and then some of the puppeteers will shoot the "Happytime Murders" from January until March, so the Fraggles could start shooting anytime after that if they wanted to. It's not that far in the future.