Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
Both Spy Kids and Scream are extremely solid franchises. Each film was a success and more than doubled its budget. If you stack all 6 films from both series together it's about one billion dollars worldwide. That's quite impressive. Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings are exceptions to the rule. Most films don't fare nearly as well as these franchises so if 7 to 10 years later the creators feel there's more to say then I say go for it. It's not like the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot that watered down the original and was done without any of the original crew. That actually did well enough for a sequel and they're making one. Ick. That's cynical film making.
There is call for Scream to do well (again, if it's released at the right time, any horror movie will do well with the jock crowd), but I don't see Spy Kids being anything but Home Alone 3. The kids have grown up (Alexa especially... I'm becoming a dirty old man) and I have yet to see a new class movie hold up to the original original crew or no original crew. Plus, Cars 2 seems to be another Spy based movie (unfortunately) so that is a gamble. But again, if these do indeed prove to still be strong, it might just light a fire under FR and get it going again. IF they're indeed successful. They'd have to be huge at that, and even if they do make the big bucks, I doubt they'll make the big BIG big bucks.

That said, I gotta say, I dug the first Spy Kids film on TV... didn't see the second or third... (though the time is right for the 3rd on to be on Blu rereleased in 3-D since it's the go to gimmick). But something tells me Spy Kids REALLY deserved a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Why Disney didn't do one is beyond me... even DIC could have got one out there (why they did an Olsen Twins one was beyond ANYONE). A fourth movie, not quite old enough to be nostalgic, not young enough to be a smooth transition is a risky bit. Especially given how competitive next Summer's gonna be... For kid's movies alone we got the second Cars and Kung Fu Pandas not to mention a new Pooh (and I HOPE that does well). Something tells me the fate of FR may just rest on SK4... obviously since they're kid's films.

beaker

Reaction score
The movies ran their course. 10+ years ago. That's the problem. I have yet to see a stalled franchise with a 10+ year wait sequel that the fan base doesn't whine about how terrible it was... look at the last Indiana Jones movies. And Indiana Jones a a huger franchise than Scream and Spy Kids will ever be. Though Tron legacy is destined to do better than its predecessor. Even if it flops, it will do better.
Even Shia dissed on Indy 4(as well as Transformers 2) and he was the star!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i thought Spy Kids was Nickelodeon

also i heard Spy Kids 4 was supposed to be a reboot with new kids

Mupp

Reaction score
The very fact that the Weinstien company wants the film to be "edgy" makes me very nervous.

This is a film that has to be handled very delicately.

I would rather have no Fraggle Movie then a horrible "edgy" one.

muppet baby

Reaction score
The very fact that the Weinstien company wants the film to be "edgy" makes me very nervous.

This is a film that has to be handled very delicately.

I would rather have no Fraggle Movie then a horrible "edgy" one.
I totally agree with you on that i hope that they handle it very delicately the series is so wonderful and timless i watch it as much as possible , and i have all 4 seasons on dvd and i hope they go with the messege that is in the seres and make it the same and not say edgy and say moving into the decade if that makes sense i am a afaid that is what they are wanting to do .

I know for a fact that i will go and see if it is at the movies or is made into a tv movie .

I hope the bottom line though is that they stick with the the way that the series was and they do not change it much if they change it at all .

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
edge

The thing that confused me is that they never truly defined what that vague term of "edge" meant to them. It merely could have been punching up the script's pacing, it could be increasing the number of humorous visuals (like in Pixar films) or it could mean the Fraggles doing a hip hop number. Who knows where on the specturm they intend to go.

muppet baby

Reaction score
The thing that confused me is that they never truly defined what that vague term of "edge" meant to them. It merely could have been punching up the script's pacing, it could be increasing the number of humorous visuals (like in Pixar films) or it could mean the Fraggles doing a hip hop number. Who knows where on the specturm they intend to go.
i know what you mean jamie , who knows where they intend to go , you know a hip hop number might not be to bad if they did some kind of dance number , that would be cute i know they danced to some cute songs in the series .

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
i know what you mean jamie , who knows where they intend to go , you know a hip hop number might not be to bad if they did some kind of dance number , that would be cute i know they danced to some cute songs in the series .
The kind of edge they should stay away from are pop culture references of Outer Space because Fraggles are timeless and not supposed to know about such things. That's the edge that would be icky.

Considering the Muppet movie is shooting now and the Happy Time Murders is shooting in January, you'd think that Weinstein would want to get something Fraggley in production pretty soon.

muppet baby

Reaction score
The kind of edge they should stay away from are pop culture references of Outer Space because Fraggles are timeless and not supposed to know about such things. That's the edge that would be icky.

Considering the Muppet movie is shooting now and the Happy Time Murders is shooting in January, you'd think that Weinstein would want to get something Fraggley in production pretty soon.
yes jamie you are right about the pop culter outer space thing i hope that they do stay away from that , kind of thing i hope that they do . I like you hope that they would start fliming soon maybe they will as soon as the muppet film is though filming .