Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The finding a new writer to make the film "edgy" is a ploy. They're stalling for time until Henson gives up. They pulled the same idiotic stunt with Hoodwinked 2. From what I heard, the producers of that film actually sued them to stop blocking the film's production... And it's getting a "who cares?" DVD release.
CRUD! The ONE film I though it'd be worth to go and see in theaters this year, not even getting there. :grouchy:

Where did you hear that it's going released on DVD, by the way? :confused:

I've found absolutely nothing about it, save for a reference-less sentence on Wikipedia.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's where I got it. And that's because there's not even any info anywhere else.

So at best we're getting it on DVD. Next year. At best, if the rumor is true. :rolleyes:

I hate to use Wiki as a source, but that's how bad off the movie was under their greedership.

I think the biggest red flag for this movie was when their production partner had to seek out another production partner. After that they should have said so long and searched for other options. The edgy thing was one thing, but hearing about what happened after Hoodwinked, true or not, (I wouldn't put it past them, though) they just don't want to get a movie out at all. So yeah, I hope they go bankrupt and this project goes to someone competent.

beau

Reaction score
I really, really want this to be made... with a different distributor.

Henson Company:

Dump Weinstein now. You'll be much better off.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score

Henson Company:

Second.

At first, I was excited to hear that it would be Weinstein handling the distribution. Now, they're going nowhere with it. :boo:

beaker

Reaction score

Henson Company:

Perhaps, Lionsgate could do it? At this point, I think we're all in the "we'll believe it when we see on the set production footage"

Sadly, that proposed Red skit that was supposed to be included in the 4th season set may have been our only real chance at seeing new Fraggle material

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's probably stuck at Weinstein for the next couple years unless they decide to free it up and pass. I think they intend to make a Fraggle movie, but they also could be holding onto it for the prestige of doing something with a band name even if they're not. I don't think that's the case. Right now I have no doubt that Disney would have been the best choice, but they're only interested in the Muppet property. Weinstein seemed like a good fit. Should have been. A couple years ago it would have been fast-tracked. We'll see. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Weinstine doesn't want to make movies at all anymore. That's the bottom line. They're holding production of everything until they just run out of money, and frankly, I HOPE THEY DO SOON. We're likely to never see this movie ever ever, and Henson spent so much time hyping it up too. At this point, we're more likely to see a Sesame Street movie, and I think one CAN AND SHOULD be done, as long as it's not another Elmo-fest and he shares the screen with everyone else and the film has a more coherent plot.

I still say Henson should provide a "put up or shut up" option and threaten to move to another company. Aparently Lionsgate and Weinstine have some "bad blood" though on what, I'm not sure... but if those three companies could work together we'd actually SEE something.

beaker

Reaction score
Weinstine doesn't want to make movies at all anymore. That's the bottom line. They're holding production of everything until they just run out of money, and frankly, I HOPE THEY DO SOON. We're likely to never see this movie ever ever, and Henson spent so much time hyping it up too. At this point, we're more likely to see a Sesame Street movie, and I think one CAN AND SHOULD be done, as long as it's not another Elmo-fest and he shares the screen with everyone else and the film has a more coherent plot.

I still say Henson should provide a "put up or shut up" option and threaten to move to another company. Aparently Lionsgate and Weinstine have some "bad blood" though on what, I'm not sure... but if those three companies could work together we'd actually SEE something.
An interesting thing for a Sesame movie could be going the TMM/TMTM route, wherein have the Sesame characters roaming the real world. Like New York or elsewhere. Elmo in Grouchland I felt partially suffered from being all within sets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

The Weinstein Company scaled back out of necessity, but they still want to make movies. They’re just taking a very cautious approach and have made decisions that most of us, including me, don’t understand. Hoodwinked 2 was completed a year ago, but was bumped to 2011. Maybe that has something to do with competition. I can get that. But Weinstein is still making the rounds distributing and making pictures. They are behind Scream 4 and will distribute Spy Kids 4 next year. There are other pictures too, but it’s not like how it used to be around there. They’ve had a tough time. I just hope they still want to do the Fraggles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Weinstein Company scaled back out of necessity, but they still want to make movies. They’re just taking a very cautious approach and have made decisions that most of us, including me, don’t understand. Hoodwinked 2 was completed a year ago, but was bumped to 2011.
You can't believe everything you read on the internet, but it's going around that the people behind Hoodwinked 2 actually had to sue them to stop sitting on the movie and just release it, leading to (perhaps) a "who cares" DTV release. My guess is, if that indeed is true, that's a big step in what I think is going on here.

Being behind Scream 4 and Spy kids 4 seems like they only want to be behind winners. And nothing says win like a 10 year old stalled franchise being a movie. Look at how wonderfully everyone remembers Dumber and Dumberer and Son of the Mask. :rolleyes: Spy Kids 4 sounds like a terrible idea, especially since it's bound to be a "new class" type film, and those never go over all that well. I mean, the "Kids" are well into their 20's now, aren't they?