Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You can't believe everything you read on the internet, but it's going around that the people behind Hoodwinked 2 actually had to sue them to stop sitting on the movie and just release it, leading to (perhaps) a "who cares" DTV release. My guess is, if that indeed is true, that's a big step in what I think is going on here.

Being behind Scream 4 and Spy kids 4 seems like they only want to be behind winners. And nothing says win like a 10 year old stalled franchise being a movie. Look at how wonderfully everyone remembers Dumber and Dumberer and Son of the Mask. :rolleyes: Spy Kids 4 sounds like a terrible idea, especially since it's bound to be a "new class" type film, and those never go over all that well. I mean, the "Kids" are well into their 20's now, aren't they?
It sounds like they're in financial trouble to me so they're bringing out their big guns from creators who want to continue these series that were always intended to be serialized. Personally, I don't know what they're doing. I adored Hoodwinked. The humor and character design are fantastic, but the animation quality isn't competitive enough. Maybe they improved that for the sequel. I can see why they'd sit on it to find just the right slot. Advertising a film is very expensive! Still, I agree. It's time to released it in the theaters and then move it onto DVD. Even a modest theatrical release is better than none.

I think they're issue with the Fraggles is one of finance. I doubt they'd have picked up the property if their financial problems could have been predicted. I do think they want to make the movie. I'm as impatient as the next guy, but we've all gained a new level of instant gratification. It used to take years to develop a film, months to shoot it, over a year to edit it and then they would decide when to release it. Now that process can all happen over a handful of months. Henson has been planning this for years, but Weinstein has only had the property for the last two of those years. Sure they're meandering, but in the bigger picture it's not a signal that they want to axe the project. For some reason I want to have faith first. Not blind faith, just a little more than the average person.

beaker

Reaction score
The Weinstein Company scaled back out of necessity, but they still want to make movies. They’re just taking a very cautious approach and have made decisions that most of us, including me, don’t understand. Hoodwinked 2 was completed a year ago, but was bumped to 2011. Maybe that has something to do with competition. I can get that. But Weinstein is still making the rounds distributing and making pictures. They are behind Scream 4 and will distribute Spy Kids 4 next year. There are other pictures too, but it’s not like how it used to be around there. They’ve had a tough time. I just hope they still want to do the Fraggles.
Given projects with a much much higher profile(and profitability) have even been shelved for now under the Weinstein banner, its difficult to see if FR the movie will be made. I think it was two years ago when the iron was hot...and JHC should have just done a straight to dvd release through Lionsgate. Sesame releases little straight to video "Sesame movies" every few months. The idea that there's enough public interest in a theatrical FR film to me(even as a huge fan) was laughable, and this was before the Hub started reairing it.

Nelson has respectfully gone on to other aspects of his life and passions, Whitmire and Goelz are now locked forever in a day in Muppet productions...so pretty much the only thing to do now would be little shorts with Red and Mokey, or Uncle Matt.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Given projects with a much much higher profile(and profitability) have even been shelved for now under the Weinstein banner, its difficult to see if FR the movie will be made. I think it was two years ago when the iron was hot...and JHC should have just done a straight to dvd release through Lionsgate. Sesame releases little straight to video "Sesame movies" every few months. The idea that there's enough public interest in a theatrical FR film to me(even as a huge fan) was laughable, and this was before the Hub started reairing it.
That's the thing. Henson has been killing itself trying hard to get the Fraggles back into the public eye FOR the movie. I'm sure everyone here would hate the idea of a DTV cheapy that would go straight into the bargain bin in 3 months and no one would remember it. At least with a theatrical release, it gets the big media push in advertisements and coverage. Look how big the Muppet film got. A DTV usually turns out like "Oh by the way... X is on DVD!" And we never hear from it again. Plus, we'd get terrible production values, and it would LOOK like a crummy home video. I don't see why it can't get the lush theatrical look that Follow that Bird got (even EIG looked better than that flat studio set). That said, half the other movies that have been planned since by other companies have even less interest behind them.

I'm ready to just call this a dead project that will go nowhere. Weinstine doesn't want anything but hits to save their movie, and nothing is ever a guaranteed hit (Seinfeld was almost a bomb of a TV series, but NBC took a chance on it). They're so concerned about saving their stupid little studio, that they're just going for (chuckle) long stalled and rightfully ended franchises like Spy Kids and Scream. And again, how many of those stalled franchise sequels are successful? I still say Henson needs to threaten to move to another studio... at LEAST threaten. And whatever crap between Lionsgate and Weinstine (Lionsgate has been a valuable partner so far... though, we didn't see Emmit Otter on DVD yet... :boo: ) needs to be put aside for whatever future (if any) this project has.

That said, why the heck isn't Henson just doing little internet shorts with Red? They have comics, iPhone books, snuggies... if they're so serious, give us some official internet shorts, like the Muppets and even Sesame Street has done. Face it, Fraggles ARE Henson's tentpole now (since they're no longer associated with Kermit or Big Bird)... and if their tentpole becomes Dinosaur Train, which doesn't even utilize digital puppetry, that's a total shame.

beaker

Reaction score
That's the thing. Henson has been killing itself trying hard to get the Fraggles back into the public eye FOR the movie. I'm sure everyone here would hate the idea of a DTV cheapy that would go straight into the bargain bin in 3 months and no one would remember it. At least with a theatrical release, it gets the big media push in advertisements and coverage. Look how big the Muppet film got. A DTV usually turns out like "Oh by the way... X is on DVD!" And we never hear from it again. Plus, we'd get terrible production values, and it would LOOK like a crummy home video. I don't see why it can't get the lush theatrical look that Follow that Bird got (even EIG looked better than that flat studio set). That said, half the other movies that have been planned since by other companies have even less interest behind them.

I'm ready to just call this a dead project that will go nowhere. Weinstine doesn't want anything but hits to save their movie, and nothing is ever a guaranteed hit (Seinfeld was almost a bomb of a TV series, but NBC took a chance on it). They're so concerned about saving their stupid little studio, that they're just going for (chuckle) long stalled and rightfully ended franchises like Spy Kids and Scream. And again, how many of those stalled franchise sequels are successful? I still say Henson needs to threaten to move to another studio... at LEAST threaten. And whatever crap between Lionsgate and Weinstine (Lionsgate has been a valuable partner so far... though, we didn't see Emmit Otter on DVD yet... :boo: ) needs to be put aside for whatever future (if any) this project has.

That said, why the heck isn't Henson just doing little internet shorts with Red? They have comics, iPhone books, snuggies... if they're so serious, give us some official internet shorts, like the Muppets and even Sesame Street has done. Face it, Fraggles ARE Henson's tentpole now (since they're no longer associated with Kermit or Big Bird)... and if their tentpole becomes Dinosaur Train, which doesn't even utilize digital puppetry, that's a total shame.
I have no idea why there hasnt been exclusive online content for Fraggles, even if it is just Red. Though a rebuilt Matt would be great too. Even just Red interviewing random celebs would be cool. So far, only some fan shot video of Red in 2008 comic con and 2010 in an LA comic shop(which in itself is great)

Spy Kids had its run as an early to mid 2000's thing over the course of 3 movies(four if you include Sharkboy and Lavagirl)
Anything now would simply be akin to those straight to video Dennis the Menace and Home Alone sequels. Scream is definitely a product of the 90's.

Hey, wait Emmet Otter WAS released on dvd a little over a year ago. Lionsgate has done wonders, above and beyond for Henson media...a lot of which Im sure we both never thought would ever get dvd releases. There's really not much more that can be explored with the Weinsteins or even the topic of it, as its a sunken ship that sadly took the FR movie opportunity with it.

And I have to say, I would rather have had a cheap DTV FR movie than nothing at all. Certainly it woulda been better than Kermit Swamp Years. But were all kidding ourselves if we think FR had a real chance of coming to theatres...tho, I guess if Marmaduke can get made...

Mupp

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop with this thread for a while, but I have to say that I have serious doubts that the Fraggle Rock movie will ever happen. And quite frankly, I'm not sure if I think that's bad news or good news...

Yes, it would be awesome to see a Fraggle movie with great production values, but I question just how good the film would even be. After reading about the progress on Muppet Wiki, I am very nervous that the film will be horrible due to the studio's desire to make it "edgy".

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still have faith that the Fraggle film will happen - especially considering this increasing drumbeat of hype for the new Muppet movie. If not Weinstein, there will be a studio that will want its own Muppet franchise. It might take a year or so to start production.

I have to admit being glad the Muppet film is coming first. That's the film that deserves some "edge" but I do reject the full term of "edgY". It's the best first choice for a Muppety film.

I think there's a lot of cynicism toward the Weinstein distributed sequels of Spy Kids 4 and Scream 4. While Spy Kids isn't my particular taste, it is a well crafted series of films with a following and creator Robert Rodriguez is writing, producing and directing it. The same goes for Wes Craven directed Scream 4. These aren't "cheapquels" they're creator-driven projects. What's wrong with backing a successful franchise? These are examples of the Weinstein Company doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. They also have a slate of art films coming out too.

I don't know why Fraggles are tied up right now. Maybe there's a tug of war in preproduction. My thought is that Weinstein punched up the script and it's going through major Henson Company revisions. It could be anything and is probably a lot of things. There is a lot to consider reigniting a franchise like Fraggle Rock. There are the creators, the director, the performers, the fans, new audience members and the company making the film to consider. It's a high wire balancing act. I'm not defending them. Just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
All of the drama regarding the FR movie reminds me of Change of Address, to be honest. Everyone tries so hard to make it, but they fail, only to get a deus ex machina at the end (a cool one, though, LOL). At our most hopeless hour, I want movie posters going up. Maybe it won't be too late after all ....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of cynicism toward the Weinstein distributed sequels of Spy Kids 4 and Scream 4. While Spy Kids isn't my particular taste, it is a well crafted series of films with a following and creator Robert Rodriguez is writing, producing and directing it. The same goes for Wes Craven directed Scream 4. These aren't "cheapquels" they're creator-driven projects. What's wrong with backing a successful franchise? These are examples of the Weinstein Company doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. They also have a slate of art films coming out too.
The movies ran their course. 10+ years ago. That's the problem. I have yet to see a stalled franchise with a 10+ year wait sequel that the fan base doesn't whine about how terrible it was... look at the last Indiana Jones movies. And Indiana Jones a a huger franchise than Scream and Spy Kids will ever be. Though Tron legacy is destined to do better than its predecessor. Even if it flops, it will do better. But then again, that movie was the very definition of cult. Scream and Spy Kids were successful, but with each passing movie, a little less so. The third SK movie was a cheap 3-D gimmick long before it became fashionable, and there wasn't a positive review anywhere.

There's a difference between riding off into the sunset and jumping back from behind the curtain to loud boos (i.e. Daffy Duck). These franchises aren't old enough to gains nostalgia and they're too successful to be cult. Though, i guess better a sequel than a remake. Still, why on Earth did anyone want to make a sequel to Cats and Dogs 10 years later when it wasn't all that successful (and a knockoff of a highly underrated cartoon to begin with)?

If these films are successful enough to get funding for them to do this freaking film at long last, I can't complain. Problem is, I DON'T think they'll be successful... at least Spykids won't. Scream could do very well if it's the only horror movie that's released around Halloween. Those, no matter how low quality they are, always do alright.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Both Spy Kids and Scream are extremely solid franchises. Each film was a success and more than doubled its budget. If you stack all 6 films from both series together it's about one billion dollars worldwide. That's quite impressive. Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings are exceptions to the rule. Most films don't fare nearly as well as these franchises so if 7 to 10 years later the creators feel there's more to say then I say go for it. It's not like the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot that watered down the original and was done without any of the original crew. That actually did well enough for a sequel and they're making one. Ick. That's cynical film making.

Many people try to make the same case for the Muppets. That they've had their day under Jim and now they should probably just move on. Spy and Scream aren't anywhere near that caliber of film making, but they both have fans and solid brand recognition. I understand a lot of people aren't pleased with the Fraggle film situation, but some of the ideas raised about Weinstein go a bit far. I think it's clear that they do want to make movies and they do want to be in business. Maybe their short term decisions are based on long term results.

Let's hope that Spy Kids and Scream do well. I actually think they will. Scream is the only one of the two I'll be seeing. The Fraggles are at Weinstein in some state of development. They're the people who decided to take a chance when others passed. That's why I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Who knows? They could be cool, calculating Doozer workers or they could be greedy Gorgs.

matleo

Reaction score
They could be cool, calculating Doozer workers or they could be greedy Gorgs.
They could be a walking talking breathing ball of fire....

--Matleo

*sorry, couldn't resist