Muppets to appear in Disney Channel TV special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, the only disney channel show I actually like is Zack and Cody. (well, and Raven, but still).
I liked Even Stevens when it was on. I though that was a pretty good show and ever well written for Disney. But "Thats so Raven" makes me laugh, personally and so does "The Sweet Life and Zack And Cody" and well as "Cory In The House". I But I think that "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" was truly a funny show and despite what others think, I think it was classic Nick. I also think that "The Necked Brothers Band" is a really good, funny, well written show and is underrated. At first I didn't think I would like it but after watching it I have to say that I actually like that one!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to know how it gets popular, h.m., The show was made for teens right? But it looks like kids are making it popul. I may be wrong but it looks like kids enjoy teen tv-shows more, to back this up name a popul. kid tv-show, I can't think of any.
Which is a horrible truth, if you ask me. Spongey is pretty much the only Children's cartoon that can compete.

I don't have the Disney Channel, and I don't think I want it. Sure it may be good exposure for the muppets, but people though that way about the Nick and Jessica special.

Yuckko.

Luke

Reaction score
My thoughts on this - i am all for the Muppets on TV, very exciting. It also looks like they have managed to put a good variety of characters in this - also great. The whole idea could work if it was written nicely, though it might come off as looking a bit "awkward" to the older fans.

As to what significance it plays in the Muppet comeback, i have doubts about it being a big part of their re-introduction. It was filmed a year ago and never used, things are usually kept for a while but thats quite long, and its not being aired on any special holiday or as part of any special campaign, and they have done zero promotion for it. Looks more like its being aired because they have it and don't have any other use for it so its being buried. My suspicion is that they would ideally have some kind of series or movie ready if they were going to show the kids something like this to get them back into the Muppets, and the movie is a little way off (probably some of the people appearing won't even be as hot then) so perhaps this was made and meant to air as part of a big Muppets comeback but now the movie is a little way off they will want to do something else then and are just airing this as something extra.

My feelings on getting kids back into the Muppets are that it needs to be done from a fresh perspective, like introducing them for the first time. I don't think putting all the Disney stars into a hotel and then "Hey, there's the Muppets" is really going to work in getting kids into them, although im sure they will watch anyway for their HSM and Hannah Montanna stars.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I But I think that "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" was truly a funny show and despite what others think, I think it was classic Nick.
That's right! Ned all the way! :smile:

I know everyone's mad about the Muppets working with these tween stars but think about this way: this is the FIRST Muppet TV special in 18 YEARS, I'm excited for this special. I've never watched Hannah Montana, I've never seen High School Musical, I've never heard a Jonas Brothers song, but I'm not watching it for them, I'm watching it to see the Muppets in a new production for the first time since 2005. It'll be worth the wait.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That's right! Ned all the way! :smile:

I know everyone's mad about the Muppets working with these tween stars but think about this way: this is the FIRST Muppet TV special in 18 YEARS, I'm excited for this special. I've never watched Hannah Montana, I've never seen High School Musical, I've never heard a Jonas Brothers song, but I'm not watching it for them, I'm watching it to see the Muppets in a new production for the first time since 2005. It'll be worth the wait.
yea i agree with everything you have said and I think i was saying preety much the same thing. I'm really exited for the Muppets right now, and I think we should all be real exited. Tell everyone you know that this is comming on. If Disney won't premote it then I think us Muppet fans should. This is not some little guest star apperance this is there own one hour varity show! this is BIG! tell everyone you know. Have a party that night get things going It's time for us old Muppet fans to get ready for a new generation of fans to come in. We need to be ready with open arms. THE MUPPETS ARE COMMING BACK!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I'm not mad myself about this I really could care less though, and this is hardly a Muppet special.
It's more like an episode of these Disney shows with the Muppets as guest stars.:big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm not mad myself about this I really could care less though, and this is hardly a Muppet special.
It's more like an episode of these Disney shows with the Muppets as guest stars.:big_grin:
Ok think about this. Right now Disney Channel has three big money makers right now High School Muisical Hanna Montana and the newest thing that I have a feeling is going to be a big hit Camp Rock. these shows have created some pretty big names not just with kids but everyone.
If Disney did not want the Muppets to be a part of this big stardom then they would have not even fiimed the show back in 07. I think that Disney now has some sort of plan for the Muppets. I really don't see a down side to all this really, and here is why. Disney knows what reaches not only kids but a lot of diifrent people by the shows i mentioned. they know people will tun in because of these stars. We fans know that the Muppets can be very hip funny and edgy,and be for everyone. This is just going to show everyone how good the Muppets can now be on TV. This is really the Muppets time to become stars once again. Go Muppets!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
although im sure they will watch anyway for their HSM and Hannah Montanna stars.
exactly! I really dont believe that by using the muppets they are going to accomplish anything. A kid who does not know who these characters are will probably just overlook them, not pay attention, and just pay attention to the stars. They might be watching, but oblivious to what is actually going on involving the muppets. If children do not like something, or have no interest in watching something, even if they do watch it they wont remember it, only the parts that they wanted to watch (such as a certain star). I know if I have no interest in watching something, I generally "pretend" to watch it, but meanwhile I'm just lost in my own thought, and only start paying attention if something that interests me happens.

While completely unrelated, I will give a semi-perfect example of what I mean. The first time I "watched" Waynes World I had no interest in actually watching it. However, when Alice Cooper came on I actually got interested in it and started watching it. All that time I thought we were watching it from that point, then my friend was like "we watched it from the beginning". Since I had absolutly no interst in watching it at first, I payed no attention and didnt remember anything that happened before Alice Cooper.

But now I have actually payed attention to it its one of my favorite movies (thats the not so perfet part of my example :smirk:)

But does anyone undertand what I'm trying to get at?

Luke

Reaction score
exactly! I really dont believe that by using the muppets they are going to accomplish anything. A kid who does not know who these characters are will probably just overlook them, not pay attention, and just pay attention to the stars. They might be watching, but oblivious to what is actually going on involving the muppets. If children do not like something, or have no interest in watching something, even if they do watch it they wont remember it, only the parts that they wanted to watch (such as a certain star). I know if I have no interest in watching something, I generally "pretend" to watch it, but meanwhile I'm just lost in my own thought, and only start paying attention if something that interests me happens.
I agree entirely, and i would also agree this isn't a Muppet special really, it doesnt even have their name in the title. I think the point is this isn't a great introduction of the Muppets to kids. Sure it gets them noticed, but having them play second fiddle to Hannah Montanna isn't going to make them the next big thing at the Disney kids division or make kids suddenly buy up all the TMS DVD's. I totally get what you say about how kids just ignore things that they don't really get or are interested in and think that there's a very limited possibility of the Muppets gaining much popularity by appearing alongside these people, but its a bonus opportunity i guess and if it ever raises a glimmer of curiosity its a good thing.

When the time comes for the big major relaunch i think somehow they will need to do something a lot cleverer to introduce the Muppets to kids. I always thought the "Americas Next Muppet" idea was a clever one and would give them the chance to interact and get into the brand. I would definitely think we'll see a new Muppet focused TV series to backup whatever popularity they can get from having a movie out and sell the merchandise/dvds - maybe Disney stars could appear, but something about this special seems awkward .. just looking at Kermit dressed in HSM costume, its just not natural - its more cheesy and fake, like the Muppets are trying to be cool. They don't need that, they just need to be themselves and have a good show format/vehicle that kids can get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.