Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I guess I just got could in the reviews for it (witch wern't very good, lol) So the should of it kind of freaked me out and turned me going it the opposite direction of it, haha!:stick_out_tongue:
Not to posint the finger at anybody, though.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sorry, I was bashing it based on actually SEEING it. I didn't like the artwork in it. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinion when it actually comes out, but I wasn't speculating. I saw it.

I didn't read it, so I'll reserve comment on the writing, however.

:stick_out_tongue:
You weren't bashing, WOE. It was an informed opinion based on what you saw in person (wish I had been there). No need to apologize.

==================

So, have I missed it somewhere, or has someone posted some art from this book somewhere? I must see!

On a similar note about Muppets in Comics, and then comics based on JHC productions, I'd like to bring up the Manga. WOE's post about writing brings up a good point. I like the story in the Labyrinth books which keeps me involved with buying them, but I don't like the art (it's not bad art, but I've never been one to love that style so others might adore it--it's just my opinion). I like all of The Dark Crystal manga, though, because the art and character designs fit the characters! The story is good, too.

I'm curious as a kitten in a mouse-factory to see the Muppet comic book art, and I feel the writing will be good for it. Mark Waid is a talented dude.

So, continuing the discussion:
When reading a comic, what is more important?
1) The art?
2) The story?
3) Dey both gotsta gel like puddin', yo!

The first thing, for me, is that when I go into a comic book store the cover art is what attracts me first, then I pick up a book and thumb through it and see the art there. If I can get a jest for the story by looking at the art then it's likely I might buy the book, but then I read a few pages into the book to see if those 2 or 3 pages capture me. If they do, then I buy it.

So, in my opinion it's art to make me look at it, and then both have to gel.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
"3) Dey both gotsta gel like puddin', yo!"

I gotta go with this. The art is very important, but if the story's no good, what's the point? With it being a Muppet comic, it should also be funny, of course.

I really want to get these, and I hope that the art is decent enough. I can't wait for them to come out!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
So, have I missed it somewhere, or has someone posted some art from this book somewhere? I must see!
I searched all over the internet one day and couldn't find anything from it. The only mention of it on Boom Studios website is a picture of someone's homemade Kermit puppet holding it up in his mouth, but then you can only see the cover, which is a photograph.

I don't even know when the first issue is scheduled to ship.

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I hope to see something soon of the art. I kinda wish someone else I knew that is a writer could write a few issues at least. That would be awesome!

Convincing John

Reaction score
It's confusing isn't it, because they have the new Muppet movie guy going around saying they'll be no more Muppets in Wonderland, Muppets on Elm Street etc and then a comment like that gets dropped.
I immediately thought the same thing. What's going on here?

What I wish would happen is for the Fraggle movie to get made (assuming it'll have a good, solid storyline faithful to the characters). This way, Disney may (hopefully) see that a Muppet project with just Muppets being Muppets can work. (Even though Fraggles aren't technically Muppets now, you get what I'm saying?)

Maybe kids could get to know the characters if Disney let them be themselves. When the Muppet Show first came out, no one knew the Muppets except for the Sesame gang, Kermit and Rowlf. I was a kid when I saw the show (and the Muppet Movie) and I had no problem knowing who these guys were at a young age.

Apparently, this kid knows 'em, too!

Muppets' Robin Hood has been done already in book form and alongside Lynn Redgrave. So has the 3 Muskateers. ("Egads! It's that simplewimp Pimpernel and his Humperdinck's lumpy pumpernickel crumpets!")

Hopefully, Disney has some of the older comics to get ideas from. Guy and Brad's stuff was funny! Muppet comics can be funny if done right. Just let the Muppets be the Muppets.

Convincing John

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know when these Muppet comics officially will be in comic book store shelves?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The Fraggles always were and always will be Muppets, no matter what Disney and JHC say! :big_grin:
Also, on the same note, if one goes to the Sesame Street website, there is a link to "Muppets" there, which showcases the biographies of the Sesame Street Muppets.

Has JHC said Fraggles are no longer considered Muppets?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Has JHC said Fraggles are no longer considered Muppets?
Well, I dunno, Fozzie. With the Disney buyout, the definition of "Muppet" has so many gray areas. The way I got it, the name "Muppet" is owned by Disney, but the name can be used for the non-Disney characters too. A Muppet in Disney's eyes is something found either in the Muppet Boarding House or in the Muppet theater. Those guys in the caves or on that inner city street sort of are, but have no place near Epcot.

It's kind of like a kid wearing a toy sheriff's badge. They can call themselves "sheriff" and they sort of are (in their backyard) but they aren't sheriffs when compared to real ones at the police stations. A real sheriff can cruise on down the street, notice a kid wearing a badge, shrug and drive on.

I think that's Disney's attitude towards the Fraggles and Sesame characters referring to themselves as "Muppets". They just sort of notice them, notice they aren't "official" Muppets, go "meh" and cruise on.

Does that make sense? Hope so.

Um, but back to the comics...they aren't really thinking of redoing Robin Hood, are they? And I agree, that Fozzie in the comic looks awful! Guy and Brad's stuff looked great! (Scooter fist). Why doesn't Disney hire those guys? Or what's Frith doing these days? Why not him? Or Frith could teach someone to draw 'em.

Convincing John

Status
Not open for further replies.