College no more........

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
But that's getting off topic, bottom line, my parents simply want to make sure that I actually do something with my life, so I believe they believe that college is a must for me. To make a long story short, they don't want me to be a bum.
Well you can tell them about me. I'm 26 and still living with my parents. I don't want to be here and my parents know it. I get depressed all the time about my job situation, that I have a college education and in the last three years I've only had jobs paying me 10 dollars or less. But my parents don't baby me. I ask little in return from them, which bugs the crap out of them during my birthday and Christmas time when they ask what I want and all I say is a good paying job I would be happy with and nothing else.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well you can tell them about me. I'm 26 and still living with my parents. I don't want to be here and my parents know it. I get depressed all the time about my job situation, that I have a college education and in the last three years I've only had jobs paying me 10 dollars or less.
Again, whenever I try to explain stuff like that to them, "Well, you're still going to college anyway.
Ryan said:
But my parents don't baby me. I ask little in return from them, which bugs the crap out of them during my birthday and Christmas time when they ask what I want and all I say is a good paying job I would be happy with and nothing else.
My parents, especially my mom, are the same way. Heck, last Christmas, I actually sat down with my mom and said "Would it be too much trouble to ask that I NOT get anything for Christmas this year?" Because, seriously each and every year, I can't think of anything to "ask for" because either I already have it, or I don't need it, but nope. Apparently, giving me stuff for Christmas makes her happy. I mean, most of you guys, especially Peppi, realize that a lot of times, we're tight on cash and everything, and with that situation with us moving again and everything, I felt that their money would be of much better use if it went to something like paying bills, paying rents, or something like that, rather than a bunch of packages under the tree addresses to me, from various fictional characters (last year, one was from Corporal Klinger, while another said it was from Klinger's nose). Heck, my dad even said to me privately on day that he doesn't really enjoy Christmas because most of, if not all of their hard-earned money goes to presents and decorations and things like that, rather than paying things that need to be paid for (ala bills and rent and stuff).

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I still don't want to settle for serving or retail or anything like that - I don't have the emotional stamina for it. I would be miserable.
Been doing that for a full year. I came in on time, worked hard, went above and beyond the call of duty, everyone got along with me, but still got paid 9.50 an hour. Great ending to this story was that the place was hiring newer inexperienced people who were younger and only there for a summer job before they go back to college and were getting paid more than me. Can you believe that! A 20 year old sophomore in college who had only been at the place for a few weeks was getting paid more than me, and I had been there for a year and graduated college!

I am Never going back to retail.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My MOM is a baby-boomer.
As were my mother and father. Most of us here are Baby Boomer offspring.

How can you say that? The 1950s were certainly A LOT better than the shape our world's in today!
Yes and no... remember, we had the Communist Red Scare and a certain Senator who was shellbent on destroying people's lives and careers to weed out said Communists. And lets not forget terrifying kids about the Russians who were going to bomb us at any time. Nothing is more horrifying than seeing little kids duck under their desks in an emergency drill.

Hey, sounds almost the same as today... only they had a better economy. And the Communists didn't do all that much anyway (but I won't go into that).

The 60's before JFK got show was where it was at... Bullwinkle... The Flintstones....

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yep, biggest thing people had to worry about were Communists. That and Senator Joseph McCarthy spreading the insane notion that everyone was a commie and that no one was to be trusted, even your neighbors you had been living next to for x amount of years before all the hoopla started. Kind of like today after what happened with the 9/11 attacks and everyone who was a Muslim or looked like one was branded a terrorist. You would think people would have learned from past mistakes, but noooooooooooooo.

But the 1950's economy and job outlook was really, really good. Which was why the United States emerged as the major super power since everyone else in Europe and Asia were still rebuilding after the events of World War II. That and their economies weren't that strong and the President Truman helped supply aid to those countries who were trying to rebuild for fear that they could easily be turned into a communist country since those countries economies and governments were unstable and had different factions competing for power.

(I really learned something in college after all!)

But yes, baby boomers had it easy as the population wasn't that populated as it is now and there were jobs for everyone and not everyone before World War II was going to college. However, the G.I. Bill made it possible for people returning from the war to go to college as the government would be paying for their college which intern produced a lot of college graduates who had no time finding a college education level job during the 50's and 60's.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, but as logical as the thread sounds, it doesn't lift spirits well.
Than why do you even bother reading and posting in it.

=

Yeah, like that makes it better.
How can you ever say that about somewhere you haven't ever been before?

Been doing that for a full year. I came in on time, worked hard, went above and beyond the call of duty, everyone got along with me, but still got paid 9.50 an hour. Great ending to this story was that the place was hiring newer inexperienced people who were younger and only there for a summer job before they go back to college and were getting paid more than me. Can you believe that! A 20 year old sophomore in college who had only been at the place for a few weeks was getting paid more than me, and I had been there for a year and graduated college!

I am Never going back to retail.
That's messed up and I don't ever blame you.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But yes, baby boomers had it easy as the population wasn't that populated as it is now and there were jobs for everyone and not everyone before World War II was going to college.
That and not everyone was relying on modern technologies for everything, like nowadays, it seems.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That and not everyone was relying on modern technologies for everything, like nowadays, it seems.
Well, yes they were! There were a lot of new household appliances that were popular and being used back than and I don't mean tomorrow land either. Look no further then the Flintstones... Their the modern stone age Family.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yep, biggest thing people had to worry about were Communists. That and Senator Joseph McCarthy spreading the insane notion that everyone was a commie and that no one was to be trusted, even your neighbors you had been living next to for x amount of years before all the hoopla started. Kind of like today after what happened with the 9/11 attacks and everyone who was a Muslim or looked like one was branded a terrorist. You would think people would have learned from past mistakes, but noooooooooooooo.

Let's not forget the widely spread, and almost acceptible racism too. Segregation, anyone? Face it. The 1950's (not counting the economy and I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners) were pretty terrible. I think way too many people idealized that period.

But then of course, I'm not going to go onto the red scare continuing artifically on both the US and the USSR's parts up until the 80's. Suffice to say Reagan got all the credit for the collapse of Communist Russia... not 100 percent true. The USSR fell because all their money went into the military, and their economy started to crumble as a result...

...and the same thing is happening to us right now. Or at least starting to happen.