College no more........

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And as long as we're at war & our government keeps the money we've been giving them to itself, we'll continue to have the problems we're experiencing.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well, yes they were! There were a lot of new household appliances that were popular and being used back than and I don't mean tomorrow land either. Look no further then the Flintstones... Their the modern stone age Family.
I think wwfpooh was saying that no one back then had to apply online using a computer. They had to apply face to face and meet with an interviewer. That's one of the problems in the job workplace now that people are facing.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think wwfpooh was saying that no one back then had to apply online using a computer. They had to apply face to face and meet with an interviewer. That's one of the problems in the job workplace now that people are facing.
I know. I had to face that problem myself... I just feel so behind my peers and and even kids younger then me and I feel like I could be doing more you know? That much that way I felt in high school and things have not changed much. Don't want to sound like a winer. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's one of the problems now a days. Parents force their children to go to college even though the child/children may not want to go.
No offence intended, but I have to disagree. There are a lot of problems in the world but offering kids a valuable opportunity that a lot of other people will never have isn't one of them, in my opinion. :smile:

It's true that there are alternatives to college and that's fine. But if you don't go, you just need to be prepared to do that much more work to compete with everyone else.

And even if I never got a job (and I have been lucky after a lot of stress, knock wood), I would be thankful that I got to learn and do so much in college. Jobs are important, but there is more to building your character in life. :smile:

I know it can be disheartening. But don't give up. :smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
No offence intended, but I have to disagree. There are a lot of problems in the world but offering kids a valuable opportunity that a lot of other people will never have isn't one of them, in my opinion. :smile:

It's true that there are alternatives to college and that's fine. But if you don't go, you just need to be prepared to do that much more work to compete with everyone else.

And even if I never got a job (and I have been lucky after a lot of stress, knock wood), I would be thankful that I got to learn and do so much in college. Jobs are important, but there is more to building your character in life. :smile:

I know it can be disheartening. But don't give up. :smile:
Graduating college doesn't build character in me if I can't find a job either in my field of study or just having a college degree period and get paid beyond 10 dollars an hour. Sorry but that scenario builds up depression and hopelessness.

My last employer never said "even though you went to college which helped build your character and your determination to finish, I'm still going to pay you 9 dollars even though you're probably worth more".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I'm sureyou wouldn't say unemployed people have no character. That would include a lot of people, and through no fault of their own. :smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well I'm sureyou wouldn't say unemployed people have no character. That would include a lot of people, and through no fault of their own. :smile:
Of course not. A lot of people are unemployed for a vairety of reasons.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Right exactly, so I'm just saying don't let this very common occurence make you depressed or feel as though you won't have character to build until you get a job. Just keep trying. There will always be problems in life, even after you get a job. And it's not what happens in life, it's how you deal with them. :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound preachy or anything, but one of the things you have to remember in life it that nothing is promised. the way I approach things can go any kind of way in this life. You just have to be prepare for anything really. I'm just expect anything because that way it can't surprise me or get to me if if didn't go the way I planned. I know it sounds to simply, but somtimes you have to remember that's not where you are or what you have, but it's about where you're going and where you want to be. You just have to hang in there.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
My last employer never said "even though you went to college which helped build your character and your determination to finish, I'm still going to pay you 9 dollars even though you're probably worth more".
But as said in the very beginning, people are now expecting more than just a college degree. They expect a special "something". For example, Disney's own intership program states clearly that the people there don't want to teach you. Rather, they want to see what you already know & want to basically learn from that whether or not you could be able to work for the company.