Caped Crusader: New Batman Film Rumors

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I felt like a new thread should be devoted to this since the topic was changing from the Dark Knight to Nolan's third installment of his Batman films. The working title appears to be "The Caped Crusader".

First, it appears director Christopher Nolan is back. There were concerns that he would storm out leaving only a cartoon dust could in his wake if Warner Brothers and DC continued plans for a separate Justice League movie that would feature a different Batman along side Superman, Wonder Woman and the Flash etc. That film appears to be gone (at least for the time being) thank frog! :smile:

:zany: Second, it's no secret that Phillip Seymour Hoffman's name was passed around for a possible Penguin in both the Dark Knight and now this future film. Most directors don't like the Penguin or take him seriously as a menacing threat. Take this analogy: Bruce Wayne is to the Penguin in Batman as Arnold Schwarzenegger was to Danny DeVito in the movie Twins. It's no surprise DeVito later played the character in Burton's film. The Penguin is a fun-house mirror of Bruce Wayne/Batman and bitter for it. Nolan and Hoffman's Penguin portrayal was rumored to be everything from a Russian weapons trader, assassin for hire or a spy. There was never much good buzz around this idea so it appears to be just as dead as the JLA movie. It is not likely.

Third, we know Catwoman is a very viable candidate for the next Batman film. Selena Kyle aka Catwoman really boils down to an agile jewel thief and nimble flirtatious foe for Batman. She easily translates into Nolan's real-world scenario. Halle Berry's performance and Catwoman film was just not right for countless reasons. So many factors failed her Berry and she ultimately failed as Catwoman. That's nicest way I can say it. Michelle Pfeiffer won the role over other contenders like Madonna, Sean Young and Cher. Pfeiffer put in a fantastic performance and I wish Burton had continued with a solo film for her, but it didn't pan out. However, Cher's patience may have paid off! She's rumored for Nolan's vision of an aging "cougar" take on Catwoman. I don't quite know what to feel about that.

:wink: Fourth, formalities aside it appears Johnny Depp has been chosen for the Riddler. This is probably the best news. I wonder how his pal Tim Burton would feel about it (or even Nolan's Batman films in general). Jim Carrey played the Riddler as if he'd lost out on playing the Joker. Carrey's take bubbled over with more energy than the character requires. The Riddler is more of an accountant/technician type who terrorizes victims with intricate puzzles instead of retired pop culture references. One could speculate Nolan's vision of the character would be akin to the villainous tactics in the Saw movies (but without that needless level of gore, of course). I can see Depp finding the core of this reserved nerd and reinventing the Riddler the way Ledger has with the Joker. Depp would lend a dramatic credibility to the role rather than the strutting and posing of Riddlers past. I really hope this happens.

Finally, filming of the new The Caped Crusader is slated to begin in Vancouver early next year! That could mean a possible release date of 2010.

Source cited: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...her-to-play-Catwoman-in-next-Batman-film.html

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I wonder how many films The Bat will have?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fourth, formalities aside it appears Johnny Depp has been chosen for the Riddler. This is probably the best news. I wonder how his pal Tim Burton would feel about it (or even Nolan's Batman films in general). Jim Carrey played the Riddler as if he'd lost out on playing the Joker. Carrey's take bubbled over with more energy than the character requires. The Riddler is more of an accountant/technician type who terrorizes victims with intricate puzzles instead of retired pop culture references. One could speculate Nolan's vision of the character would be akin to the villainous tactics in the Saw movies (but without that needless level of gore, of course). I can see Depp finding the core of this reserved nerd and reinventing the Riddler the way Ledger has with the Joker. Depp would lend a dramatic credibility to the role rather than the strutting and posing of Riddlers past. I really hope this happens.
It is quite clear that Jim Carrey was trying to play the Riddler as Frank Gorshin. I have to admit, after a while I started to like what they were trying to do with The Riddler in The Batman (in a Marilyn Manson style get up :insatiable: no less), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Riddler here has a similar tone.

I do think the title "caped Crusader" sounds too corny. Something like "Batman: enemy of the People" or something would fit much better (since... SPOILER.... he because the "villain" at the end of the movie to protect Harvey Dent's name).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
(since... SPOILER.... he becaame the "villain" at the end of the movie to protect Harvey Dent's name)
But he wasn't the villain, Harvey's Two-Face half was. And FYI, Jim Gordon put it best in that Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it currently needs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is quite clear that Jim Carrey was trying to play the Riddler as Frank Gorshin. I have to admit, after a while I started to like what they were trying to do with The Riddler in The Batman (in a Marilyn Manson style get up :insatiable: no less), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Riddler here has a similar tone.

I do think the title "caped Crusader" sounds too corny. Something like "Batman: enemy of the People" or something would fit much better (since... SPOILER.... he because the "villain" at the end of the movie to protect Harvey Dent's name).
Judging from what Nolan has done in the other two films; I don’t think Nolan’s take on the Riddler would go with anything like Frank Gorshin or Jim Carrey. It’s clear he doesn’t enjoy those tellings of Batman. He seems to go to a characters' comic book origin and find an updated real-world solution for it. I can see some Marilyn Manson sort of make-up. Who would Edward Nygma represent today or in Nolan’s telling? A disenfranchised computer-programmer-dot-commer-gone-bust?

I’m still freaking over Cher as Catwoman. I can think of other mature women who would better fit the cougar image and still have some “sex-appeal” like Annette Benning or Sean Young (who once wore a cat costume and stalked Tim Burton after not getting the role from him). Heck, if Madonna could act I’d cast her over Cher. I just don’t know about the Cher thing? She is a talented woman.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Who would Edward Nygma represent today or in Nolan’s telling? A disenfranchised computer-programmer-dot-commer-gone-bust?
And when he tries to get funds from Bruce, Bruce turns him down, driving him mad.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Judging from what Nolan has done in the other two films; I don’t think Nolan’s take on the Riddler would go with anything like Frank Gorshin or Jim Carrey. It’s clear he doesn’t enjoy those tellings of Batman. He seems to go to a characters' comic book origin and find an updated real-world solution for it. I can see some Marilyn Manson sort of make-up. Who would Edward Nygma represent today or in Nolan’s telling? A disenfranchised computer-programmer-dot-commer-gone-bust?
Yeah... something similar to this. I have to say they handled him well in The Batman just before the series ended. There was a great episode about how he was cheated out of the acclaim of an invention that could have changed lives, and becoming a villain out of revenge. Something similar to that is what I see.

But he wasn't the villain, Harvey's Two-Face half was. And FYI, Jim Gordon put it best in that Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it currently needs.
At the end of the film, Batman voulenteers to be the bad guy so they won't tarnish the life of Harvey Dent, who more people thought was a hero than Batman.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
At the end of the film, Batman voulenteers to be the bad guy so they won't tarnish the life of Harvey Dent,
And watch Harvey come back again, like most villains in comics do after they "die".

who more people thought was a hero than Batman.
If only 'cause the denizens of Gotham are sort of...no offense to any New Yorkers...stupid and ignorant.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah... something similar to this. I have to say they handled him well in The Batman just before the series ended. There was a great episode about how he was cheated out of the acclaim of an invention that could have changed lives, and becoming a villain out of revenge. Something similar to that is what I see.
I always think that The Batman version of the Riddler resembles me in my misspent glam-goth days. Not kidding about that. I really like that version. You do know that Robert Englund aka Freddy Krueger) voiced that character on the program? Interesting choice. While I can’t see any character in such an outfit for Nolan Batman franchise, I can imagine some of the makeup and demeanor. I am sure Depp would bring some unique quirks to the role as well. He really is the only actor that can follow Heath Ledger’s performance.

After reading around the web a bit I have noted others’ dismissive perception of the Telegraph article I cited and that publication in general. Good thing I remembered to put the word “rumors” in the thread title. Sometimes directors like to mislead unwitting publications to throw them off the true story.

I do like the title – The Caped Crusader. Gotham Crusader is also good, but doesn’t have the same snap.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
While I am as excited as any for the next "Nolan worked" Batman, that Telegraph article is completey ridiculous. Goyer has to write a script first, and that comes after Nolan and his crew signs on, which comes after they sit down and talk about a deal... absolutely nothings happenned yet, Cher as Catwoman... this is so ridiculous, I cant find words to describe how outragous that is .

Ive never seen the movie, only the trailer (not much for horror movies over here), but if they do choose the riddler as a villian I think he might end up being very similar to the villian in the "Saw" movie series...