Editing Posts...

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am posting this as an honest plea:
Is there anyway we could have it to where we can edit posts we make without any sort of deadline?
I know I am a newbie, I know I should just keep my big mouth shut, I know we have three hours to edit posts (sometimes it is as little as an hour to me) but honestly...

This is the first forum I have ever been on ever with this "rule" and I am nearly beside myself with my dyslexia and spelling troubles that I cannot spot sometimes until just after my 'time' runs out.

I know mods can fix things, but honestly, I don't want to trouble mobs (who have bigger things to worry about) or pay them etc for honest mistakes that I could, on any other forum, edit myself:embarrassed:....

I know this was most likely done for a good reason but to me, the good that one can do with the ability to edit just your own posts far outweighs the bad..And if people do bad with it, that is what mods and banning is for, the bad apples always make themselves known one way or another...

But these forums don't seem to have as many of those to began with, thanks to the anti-troll screening when they first become newbies :smile:.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... I do know that the Creatus Maximus forum run by former Palisades honcho Ken Lilly (bit of a more adult crowd running there, so if you sign up for membership just beware at your own risk) has both no filter nor post editing deadline. If I made a post a year ago, I can go in and still make any changes to my own post where necessary without troubling the people running the show or silently cursing my own mistakes. Of course, we need the filter here... But since both websites' forums use the VB system, it might be something worth looking into. Though that'd have to be something for Phil the administrator, since that behind-the-scene coding is done at the home base.

Hope this helps somewhat. *Hugs to Becky/Songa.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I, for one, side with Redsonga on this. I wouldn't have to rewrite my fics as an entirely new thread if I could have just worked on the existing ones. I also have instances where I don't catch something until later (even previewing it). In fact, sometimes previewing makes it worse, because the littlest thing tends to send in that awful u201D thing that I can't stand.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, I, for one, side with Redsonga on this. I wouldn't have to rewrite my fics as an entirely new thread if I could have just worked on the existing ones.
Plus, as Becky did point out, it would be easier on moderators so people could fix their own mistakes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I agree. I've never really mentioned it, but the time frame has always bugged me.

And it would prob ably be easier on the moderators. And the mods wont be bugged for every little thing wanting to be edited...

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I think this is a good idea also. It has my vote wholeheartedly.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Thank you, I am so glad so many people agree with me :smile:. I just think that overall it would help us make our posts the best they could be :smile:.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm gunna have to put forward another side (not that we're taking sides...or are we? *grabs pitchforks* Wait...what was I saying? Oh yes!) The issue is that once someone has posted and everyone's replied to them...If they then go and change the original post, suddenly all the following posts are pointless for someone reading the thread without having realised that there's been edits.

Someone could say one reactionary, cause a stir, and then change it to something innocent later in the day (or week) and everyone else could end up looking like they are trying to start a fight over nothing. (Not that we EVER start fights...*sharpens said pitch forks* ...ahem...)

Or, with fanfics, once someone's commented on a certain scene, if later you were to decide to cut the scene or move it, the conected comment would be null and void and confusing.

Even little things like spelling and grammer (Sure, I'd love to go back and fix up my first few weeks here at MC when I had teRible spiLlgn...), if something is changed at a later date...it could make things very illogical for anyone who maybe replied with, say, the correct spelling of Bovegard...I mean Beauregard...

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm gunna have to put forward another side (not that we're taking sides...or are we? *grabs pitchforks* Wait...what was I saying? Oh yes!) The issue is that once someone has posted and everyone's replied to them...If they then go and change the original post, suddenly all the following posts are pointless for someone reading the thread without having realised that there's been edits.

Someone could say one reactionary, cause a stir, and then change it to something innocent later in the day (or week) and everyone else could end up looking like they are trying to start a fight over nothing. (Not that we EVER start fights...*sharpens said pitch forks* ...ahem...)

Or, with fanfics, once someone's commented on a certain scene, if later you were to decide to cut the scene or move it, the conected comment would be null and void and confusing.

Even little things like spelling and grammer (Sure, I'd love to go back and fix up my first few weeks here at MC when I had teRible spiLlgn...), if something is changed at a later date...it could make things very illogical for anyone who maybe replied with, say, the correct spelling of Bovegard...I mean Beauregard...
I think I remember a feature on some forum I belonged to once that kept a copy of a post so a mod could override an edit :\ I could be wrong..But if it was the sort of topic that got heated I think mods would take some action before it got made into an editing war (or if it did they could see it had been editing and when...I still say plenty of forums (actually all the others I belong to) have no time limit to editing and they have not all melted into an internet verison of WWIII yet :stick_out_tongue:

But really, if it was just used for the fanfic section it really would not be that bad if you put a little note saying you had spell checked it as of so and so and thanked the people for pointing it out to you. I don't know anyone who reads spelling edits as a part of posts anyway, really reads them, besides the author who cares deeply for the writing part of the story, it is much more common for readers to skip over replies to get to the next post of the storyline anyway IMHO :concern:...
And in the 2nd place putting spelling edits as a part of your replies is not common place here anyway:coy: