Do you remember the Secret Life of Toys?

Land Strider

Reaction score
Re: Secret Life of Toys

Wow, did "The Secret Life of Toys" really air that long ago? I loved to watch it on the Disney Channel when I was younger, and still remember the theme song. But I had forgotten about it when it stopped airing, until "Toy Story" came out, and I was trying to remember why the idea of toys coming to life seemed so familiar. Ah-ha!...The Secret Life of Toys!

I'll have to check to see if I get ABCKids, because I'd love to see it again.

-Kim

McFraggle

Reaction score
Land Strider said:
Wow, did "The Secret Life of Toys" really air that long ago? I loved to watch it on the Disney Channel when I was younger, and still remember the theme song. But I had forgotten about it when it stopped airing, until "Toy Story" came out, and I was trying to remember why the idea of toys coming to life seemed so familiar. Ah-ha!...The Secret Life of Toys!

-Kim
I've always thought "Toy Story" reminded me on "The Secret Life of Toys" and "The Christmas Toy." I too used to watch it on the Disney Channel when I was younger. Man in the early to the mid-90s the Disney Channel was littered with Henson shows they even aired the animated Fraggle Rock.

Joggy

Reaction score
I have almost all the episodes of Secret Life. I actually really like it... it almost has that warmth from Fraggle Rock.

There were six main characters: Balthazar, the old and wise teddy bear. Rugby Tiger. Mew, the little cat toy. Raisin, the tomboy doll (in my opinion Louise Gold's best character ever). Ditz, the dimwitted clown. And Hortence, the always worrying rocking horse (a beautiful puppet!)

Some of my favorite episodes are "Disappearing Ditz", in which Magician Rugby makes Ditz 'disappear' but has trouble making him appear again; "Who Shares Wins", where Mew becomes invisible for the other toys because the children didn't share him; and "I'm Gonna Tell On You", where Raisin accidentally tapes over the children's cassette tape story and Bratty Rat (Jerry Nelson) threatens to tell on her - after all, she broke a very important 'nono': "Never destroy anything belonging to the children!"

Actually, there were two episodes where Mew had a high pitched voice like Steve's. But that was probably too hard on his performer's voice, so he gave him the mouse voice that he'd use on Mopatop's Shop's Moosey Mouse later on.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I remember this show well and it used to be on ABC TV here in Australia (different to american ABC) a few years back. I didnt even realise it was a henson show til a few years ago!

BarkingSprocket

Reaction score
I Just made a Thread about the Secret Life Of Toys didn't see your thread.

According to TV Tome the show ran for one season and it was in the 90s not the 80s in 1994.

If I remember correctly it as shown on BBC2 in the UK in the afternoons but I might be wrong.

Anyone know why it was cancelled :confused:

scottishpiggy

Reaction score
spin off/dvd

Same thing goes for "The Christmas Toy" movie this series was a spin-off of.
That is so weird, i was sure it was vice versa- certainly in the uk, the movie/special came out first, and then the tv show, but that could be a UK thing.
YOu can get the movie now on dvd with a muppet family christmas.....no doubt u all know this, but hey, be nice, im new :stick_out_tongue:

SweetMayhem

Reaction score
The Secret Life of Toys was a great show. It came almost a decade after The Christmas Toy. I remember watching this on the Disney Channel. I can't believe there were only 13 episodes! What a great show. I would always try to catch my toys coming to life after this program. I even had an old teddy bear who I pretended was in charge of all the others just like Balthazaar. Toy Story came out a year later.