Rumor: Abby gets own segment

Drtooth

Reaction score
Straight from Ssetta hisself :
I've heard that in Season 40, Abby will have a new 15-minute segment, and this special basically is a sample of what Season 40 will be like. If you do the math, here's what it seems like:

15 minutes of street scene
Murray Had a Little Lamb
15 minutes of Abby
Those STUPID Ernie & Bert claymation sketches
Elmo's World
And that will leave just enough time for the letter & number of the day.

There you have it! Sesame Street has been RUINED!
Now, that's both interesting and disappointing... While it seems that they were trying to stray from the segments (with the exception of the addition of Murray), even amounting a test run of 2 Elmo's World-less SS episodes (which tested poorly), they seem to have to fall back on this new habit.

I am wondering how they can make a full 10-15 minute segment like EW with the character, and what they are going to make the curriculum.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like the Ernie and Bert claymation work I've seen. However, I do prefer the puppets. I'm really against Elmo or Abby getting their own official block. That's what is turning Sesame into every other kid's show. I'd like to see more interactions on the street. It just feels less like a community over there then when I was a kid. It just seems like Elmo on a sound stage instead of a whole crew of Muppets that share this very real looking street.

I wish they'd clear out this current production leadership and get back to basics - what made the show great when I was a kid and how that could translate into today's audience. Right now they are going this Dora rout. Elmo and Abby are entertaining and their performers are talented, but so are the other characters. I miss my Sesame.:grouchy:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
While ssetta's predictions somehow usually come true, I don' think SW would screw the show up that bad. Once again, if she were to get her own segment, I still believe it would be like the Abby's Fairy Fun videos from the podcast.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like those clay segments myself. I find them novel because... well, we've seen the Muppets in every other form of animation... 2-D and CGI... Claymation is the one route we haven't seen yet. And clay figures are called "puppets" to get technical...

I wish they'd clear out this current production leadership and get back to basics - what made the show great when I was a kid and how that could translate into today's audience. Right now they are going this Dora rout. Elmo and Abby are entertaining and their performers are talented, but so are the other characters. I miss my Sesame.:grouchy:
I wish that more kid's shows went back to this. I've seen a dramatic sweeping change for most kids shows on PBS... the deletion of Teletubbies in my area, the creation of clever shows like Sid the Science kid, Word Girl, Curious George, Word World and Martha Speaks. The only new show PBS has that follows the Dora model is Super Why, and it's modestly doing alright at best. It's those Nick Jr. and Playhouse Disney Shows that are the real bad influence. I'm eagerly awaiting pediatricians and GOOD child psychologists to discredit them and say they're not beneficial at all.

Let's just say the 90's weren't good to kid's shows.

Truth be told, SS is trying hard to move out of it, but they seem to have painted themselves into a corner. If they get rid of them, they test poorly, but if they clearly don't want to keep them in either.

But on the bright side, any Non-EW segment tends to be tooned out, and disappear within 3-4 years of their debut. Monster Clubhouse and Journey to Ernie disappeared... Hero guy has inconsistently been on and off the show for the last few years, Global Grover seems to have been sporadically on different episodes... even the COunt's Organ and Cookie Monster Letter of the day segments seem to be going, with one appearing each this season.

BEAR

Reaction score
I try to stay optimistic about this stuff, but I'm starting to get nervous and worry about my favorite street.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just don't get these character-driven segments that need titles and theme songs. I love Ernie. He's one of my Sesame faves, but stick him in a sketch with Bert and have the learning and humor come from that rather than some tedious contrivance. I don't know who is responsible for this boring direction, but back to basics I say. These producers really should sit back, pop in a few Old School DVDs and take some notes. Or better yet - just throw the notes away and have the performers wing it more. I agree with the Oz assessment - that's where the spark was and it's mostly missing now.

FatBlueMuppet

Reaction score
I hear what your'e saying Frogboy! Although there have always been minor changes on the show over the years. Like with the cast, the set, and charachters. For the show's first 29 years, they pretty much kept the same structure that worked for all those years. Once Season 30 came around it was all down hill, storylines were dumbed down, there was less time for classic inserts due to Elmo's World. And by the time the new Format came around most of them were gone completley, never to be seen again. Having Abby have her own predictable segment is like pouring salt on an open wound. The show just seems to be going further and further from its orgins. I hate to even think about what it's gonna be like 10 years from now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but It sounds to me like in forty years time this shows may have just ran it's course in the quality direction. But you know, as annoying as an Abby segment sounds, I wouldn't mind it much if it alternated with Elmo's World. I wouldn't mind it in that sense anymore than I do the Elmo's World segment...

You know, I guess they found a "niche" with Murray segment. I'm suprised it's going for another season as they usually seems to move on to try different things each season. Such as "journey to Ernie" and "It's time to Play."

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Straight from Ssetta hisself :

Now, that's both interesting and disappointing... While it seems that they were trying to stray from the segments (with the exception of the addition of Murray), even amounting a test run of 2 Elmo's World-less SS episodes (which tested poorly), they seem to have to fall back on this new habit.

I am wondering how they can make a full 10-15 minute segment like EW with the character, and what they are going to make the curriculum.
intead of posting rumors why not check out the SW site and find out is this is true or not?

Or ask Sseeta where he found this out.

We only need to be going by what SW says and not some rumor from some oddball source.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ssetta somehow has unidentified sources... I don't know if they refuse to reveal themselves and they wanna remain anonymous... but he was right about a lot of things, including the SW Video site... granted, it was a lot later than he was first told...

Not to mention the fact that this sounds 80% possible... I doubt a full 15 minutes, though. But we've got about a year to see.

I just don't get these character-driven segments that need titles and theme songs. I love Ernie. He's one of my Sesame faves, but stick him in a sketch with Bert and have the learning and humor come from that rather than some tedious contrivance. I don't know who is responsible for this boring direction, but back to basics I say.
Who's responsible... cough cough "experts" cough cough... Goho goho... sorry, disappointment in my throat.

I think that deep down they want to do all this and make us classic fans happy, but they can't do anything about it now... it's too late. There were at least 2 episodes last year (one even had an EW in it) that got back to its plotline/segment/plotline roots that have been missing for seasons.

I've always been in the middle of this. I don't like the direction, I fail to see why and how this is beneficial to the kids... but looking at how children's television took a massive beating in the 90's (due to unfortunate shows like Barney, Teletubbies, and mostly Blues Clues) and SS was in the middle and had it's teeth knocked out. It was a sign of the time that led to the ol' guilt-free insta-parenting behind random fringe groups that made kid's TV toothless, uneducational, and unprofitable under certain circumstances.

I say, it could always be worse. SS could have been an hour long EW segment with a CGI Elmo asking questions and waiting for a pretend audience to answer them...