Rumor: Abby gets own segment

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Bit off topic, can we get back to our certain Fairy-in-training discussion now?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm with Drtooth; The season JUST started taping and we don't know anything for sure and we won't for several months. Plus, I, too, am sure it will be shorter that 15 minutes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm with Drtooth; The season JUST started taping and we don't know anything for sure and we won't for several months. Plus, I, too, am sure it will be shorter that 15 minutes.
We usually get our first press releases between February and May, right? But then again, Ssetta's been right about a lot of things, but slightly altered to what finally comes out. He was dead on about the video player, but then again, it didn't come out until months after first projected. But then again, they were probably trying to work the kinks out.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Straight from Ssetta hisself :

Now, that's both interesting and disappointing... While it seems that they were trying to stray from the segments (with the exception of the addition of Murray), even amounting a test run of 2 Elmo's World-less SS episodes (which tested poorly), they seem to have to fall back on this new habit.

I am wondering how they can make a full 10-15 minute segment like EW with the character, and what they are going to make the curriculum.
I wonder what was their reasoning behind the E&B animation?

This is one part that's not understandable.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
Abby Cadabby getting her own segment, eh? As everyone knows, history repeats itself. Human nature never changes. I will discuss the possible future. We'll start with the past.

Big Bird is the star of the show, until Elmo becomes popular. He begins to take up sketches, and gets his own segment. He gets one of the most famous toys of all time. The generation of Big Bird gets depressed and claims that Sesame Street jumped the shark. Oh, and Elmo gets a movie that flops at the box office.

Now, let's switch roles.

Elmo is the star of the show, until Abby Cadabby becomes popular. She begins to take up sketches, and gets her own segment. She gets one of the most famous toys of all time. The generation of Elmo gets depressed and claims that Sesame Street jumped the shark. Oh, and Abby gets a movie that flops at the box office.

I can see it now.

After that, if Sesame Street survives that long, a new character will outshine Abby. Now...

Abby is the star of the show, until [UNKNOWN] becomes popular. He begins to take up sketches, and gets his own segment. He gets one of the most famous toys of all time. The generation of Abby Cadabby gets depressed and claims that Sesame Street jumped the shark. Oh, and [UNKNOWN] gets a movie that flops at the box office.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, her appearances this season weren't as plentiful as season 38, where they mader her appear in EVERY EPISODE!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Abby Cadabby getting her own segment, eh? As everyone knows, history repeats itself. Human nature never changes. I will discuss the possible future. We'll start with the past.

Big Bird is the star of the show, until Elmo becomes popular. He begins to take up sketches, and gets his own segment. He gets one of the most famous toys of all time. The generation of Big Bird gets depressed and claims that Sesame Street jumped the shark. Oh, and Elmo gets a movie that flops at the box office.
On a technicality, I'd say history repeating itself would be them trying out another weird gimmick that doesn't stick, like they did in 93... Elmo's world is the only one of these gimmicks that stuck.. Monster Clubhouse, Hero Guy, Journey to Ernie, and all those other things have been totally stripped from the show. I somehow doubt Abby would be able to hold on to a gimmicky segment for 10+ years like Elmo did.

Plus, let's not forget, the idea of an Elmo movie would have been perfect, had his audience not been largely made up of kids way too young to sit in a movie theater... :wisdom:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On a technicality, I'd say history repeating itself would be them trying out another weird gimmick that doesn't stick, like they did in 93... Elmo's world is the only one of these gimmicks that stuck.. Monster Clubhouse, Hero Guy, Journey to Ernie, and all those other things have been totally stripped from the show. I somehow doubt Abby would be able to hold on to a gimmicky segment for 10+ years like Elmo did.

Plus, let's not forget, the idea of an Elmo movie would have been perfect, had his audience not been largely made up of kids way too young to sit in a movie theater... :wisdom:
It's all too focus-grouped and compartmentalized. The Muppets, including Sesame Street Muppets, have always been about chaos. Those in charge of Sesame Workshop don't recognize the importance of that and have cleaned up the street to nearly an obsessive compulsive degree of efficiency. That certainly works with other programs and brands, but the chaos is what makes Sesame Street's Muppets unique. The Muppet scenes should bleed together more. As long as each show has a theme, message, letter and number of the day then let the characters run free. Let my Muppets go! :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's all too focus-grouped and compartmentalized. The Muppets, including Sesame Street Muppets, have always been about chaos.
Ugh! Tell me about it. I see a lot of great chaos in the street segments (try to tell me this year's Number 6 Day wasn't blow your mind wacky, right down to the "Six Penguins In My Shirt" song), and even in the claymation Ernie and Bert segments have some of the mild peril that preschool shows should all have. But when it comes down to it, no matter how much SW wants to change things up (there's not a doubt in my mind they deep down want to), they wind up breaking down and cowtowing to various contradictory studies and focus groups, as well as the pressure to be like all the other bland and loud (and not the kind of fun, Pee Wee screaming the word of the Day loud) preschool shows on cable (we know who they are, no need to name names).

I think an Abby segment is a step backwards for them, when they got rid of all the aforementioned segments, and tried interspersing the street story into a full hour twice last season. I understand, it is tough that the tried and true Sesame Street looks like a dinosaur when placed up against the plasticky and artificial sparkle of said cable shows. In fact, I feel that they are just so interchangeable, I can't tell the difference. It seems they placed various different characters (including a certain mouse who will remain nameless) into the same exact situation and style. Sesame, since season 32 (or is it 33?) hovered between staying true to itself and falling into that trap. I would love to say that in a few years, this experiment netted unfavorable results, and things would go back to normal.... but that's not up to me.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The difference between Big Bird and Elmo and Abby though is that BB is the heart, soul, and start of SS IMHO. Characters may come and go but they will always have BB to thank for it :smile:. My being depressed over him being overlooked isn't just because I grew up with him :wisdom: but becuase I think he still has so much more to teach than Elmo or Abby ever could at their level, or age (maybe Abby could teach words but she'd have to mellow a bit more than she is now IMHO). I think back when BB was in his prime he did a great job at teaching things that were far far above the simple-let's-sing-a-word-to-the-turn-of-jingle-bells level...
To me, BB stands for the idea of not talking down to little ones because they are smarter than you think-ness, and that's what I really miss on SS:sympathy: