25th Anniversary Follow That Bird Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What would be great is if they would have ethier a Big Bird Comentery or a Carol Spinny Comentary.
Or better yet, an Oscar the Grouch commentary...

"Yeah, this scene took 5 hours to shoot, and we kept doing take after take after take. The whole thing lasts 2 minutes just for that, and everyone was screaming their heads off by the end of it. I REALLY wish they made more movies. That sort of stuff is what Grouches LIVE for! Heh heh heh."

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Wow. That cover only reminds me of why I hate DVD covers and movie posters of today. It looks like bad Photoshop. At least with the old DVD, we had very nice cover art.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to see this re-released! I'm curious about the special features.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow. That cover only reminds me of why I hate DVD covers and movie posters of today. It looks like bad Photoshop. At least with the old DVD, we had very nice cover art.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to see this re-released! I'm curious about the special features.
This cover is simple and moderately attractive, but has no depth, artistry or interest beyond the initial grab of attention that something Sesame is about. I get it - crisp clean big portraits of the characters pops more than the beautiful hand drawn poster. Still, I think we've conditioned people (especially young people) to expect this look rather than something of quality. This current image is rather disposable while the other is a work of art. I think there's a market for companies to advertise alternative classic covers to a mature market of cinemaphiles. Comic books do it, why not DVDs? Also a send away coupon for a promotional reprint of the poster would also be a nice addition. Just a thought. In this current economy there's more than one way to turn a buck. This sort of thing used to be fundamental with records and comics when I was a kid. It would work here too. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
This cover is simple and moderately attractive, but has no depth, artistry or interest beyond the initial grab of attention that something Sesame is about. I get it - crisp clean big portraits of the characters pops more than the beautiful hand drawn poster. Still, I think we've conditioned people (especially young people) to expect this look rather than something of quality. This current image is rather disposable while the other is a work of art.
Oddly enough, considering it's an anniversary edition, you WOULD tend to think that they would have made it the cover art, instead of the same old same old stock photos. But then again, when was the last time someone even saw a painted illustration for a movie poster, rather than some photo shoot. I think it's depressing that horrid films like "Mommas Boys" (or Grannies boys or whatever that was) only use illustrated poster art to bring back memories of Animal House (like those films compare)... I think the Indiana Jones 4 one was illustrated, or at least a photo manipulated to look like it.

But as far as something for collectors, I restate my quandary... it's totally yellow feathery tail backwards, if you think about it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
This cover is simple and moderately attractive, but has no depth, artistry or interest beyond the initial grab of attention that something Sesame is about. I get it - crisp clean big portraits of the characters pops more than the beautiful hand drawn poster. Still, I think we've conditioned people (especially young people) to expect this look rather than something of quality. This current image is rather disposable while the other is a work of art. I think there's a market for companies to advertise alternative classic covers to a mature market of cinemaphiles. Comic books do it, why not DVDs? Also a send away coupon for a promotional reprint of the poster would also be a nice addition. Just a thought. In this current economy there's more than one way to turn a buck. This sort of thing used to be fundamental with records and comics when I was a kid. It would work here too. :wisdom:
That's why years ago when DVDs were young and dinosaurs ruled the earth my little OCD mind (or is it called something else now? Oh well, it is a mix of loving details and hating change:coy:) started my hobby of printing out DVD sized movie posters (glossy paper :3!) and putting them on my DVD covers to have the VHS memories and my DVDs to. I figure it is not doing anything wrong since I bought the movie at full price, sometimes three times:excited:!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
All right, but when is is coming out, is it just in time for the 40th anniversary ?

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
It seems to me that we're in a bit of a catch 22...

Follow That Bird will more than likely be geared toward more of a 'Old School' generation of viewers. But unless there's a typewriter telling us that this edition isn't intended for today's pre-schoolers, it will probably be a bit kid-proof; hence an Elmo on the cover.

We probably won't be seeing any kind of interviews with puppeteers or filmamkers, as much as that pains me. The featurette will probably be along the lines of the 2 minute one from Elmo in Grouchland: character interviews and an explination of the plot. Hopefully, being that this is the 25th Anniversary (in the 40th Anniversary year) there will be a bit more depth... character commentaries would be incredible; in the eyes and ears of a preschooler anything more would just be "Who is that and why is he talking when Big Bird is; who taught him those manners, Gorgs? Wait, Gorgs?" I digress...

What might be neat is a "Big Bird's Photo Album" where you see pictures from on the set where Big Bird 'visited' as he traveled back to Sesame Street... This could be seen two ways "look at all those cool people Big Bird met" for the kids and "look at all those cool prople who got to meet Big Bird" for the adult fans.

Just a few thoughts... Can't wait to see all of this progress!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Follow That Bird will more than likely be geared toward more of a 'Old School' generation of viewers. But unless there's a typewriter telling us that this edition isn't intended for today's pre-schoolers, it will probably be a bit kid-proof; hence an Elmo on the cover
But there is not really anything that makes the movie that way, I mean the story is very timeless and preschoolers are still preschoolers that like a good sony and silly songs :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But there is not really anything that makes the movie that way, I mean the story is very timeless and preschoolers are still preschoolers that like a good sony and silly songs
Yeah kids don't change that much, they still appreciate quality. :wink:

Plus the film isn't about education so much; it's more about a touching story. :smile:

Not that I think the Old School sets should have had that disclaimer for education either! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.