1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

25th Anniversary Follow That Bird Edition!

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by AAO, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. AAO Member

now we're getting waaay off topic.. problem is ppl somehow bring Elmo into every classic SS thing comparing.. let's just focus on the DVD coming out and what will be on it! That's the best part of it all...

the featurette is featured in the promo for the dvd.. so let's just ponder on what's to come! not what's already here and gone... past is the past.. elmo's come and kindly took over but let's look at the greater things that this dvd could promise classic SS fans!
  2. Redsonga Active Member

Well, I figure baby steps :). I think that it would help to have a taste for all sorts of characters though:). And this movie is good for that...
  3. heralde Well-Known Member

Yes yes, we're just concerned about how the DVD will be received by today's kids (and their parents ;) ). Hopefully minds will be open. Classic SS isn't just for older fans. :)`

I do hope it has some genunie talk about the movie, and not too superficial. :)
  4. AAO Member

i agree!

i do want interviews with Carroll Spinney and some of the human cast as well as other muppeteers... y'know? Sadly, I know that there probably can't be any "puppeteer" stuff with Carroll - like how they operated Oscar or Big Bird cuz it's for kids! Maybe as an easter egg? lol

could u imagine the shock kids would get then? oh my!

I would just like to know the whereabouts of miss finch and the dodo's.. not only the charaters but as wellas the puppets! that'd be great to bring'em out of storage and use them on SS!
  5. Redsonga Active Member

I actually even as an adult don't really want to see that, call me a silly little kid if you want to, but I still like thinking of them as two different 'people'. BB is one of the muppets I have a hard time seeing as just a 'thing':wisdom:. JR Gorg, Kermit, Barkley and Snuffy are also on that list :coy:
  6. AAO Member

well... i agree.. even though I know Carroll etc... is in there performing. I stillfeel like he's real. The only time I don't feel that is when Matt Vogel performs him.. I'm not use to that yet... being a puppeteer with some of our furry friends from muppets etc.. is fun! Treelo from Bear in the big blue house always seems real to me when we "perform" together.. lol...

but Carroll never wanted cameras around or anything when he was taking the 'bird' off or on... especially kids. there was a story of carroll filming as big bird in central park and a kid saw big bird taken off of him and the kid freaked out. carroll put the bird back on and chased after him to tell him that Big Bird was okay... lol . how sweet!

Even though you would see Jim in interviews with Kermit on his hands.. there was a relative reality to that Kermit was real. Just like when Kermit was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson... the techs kept putting the mic on Kermit instead of Jim.. they forgot he was a puppet! haha!

A&E Biography was the first time that Big Bird was really "revealed" on camera as Big Bird in shots from the "hurricane episodes"... There's shots of him taking the bird on and off and operating him.. it was great to see.. Bear works the same way as Big Bird and it's so neat! I love the way they're performed...

But the dvd, i understand, wouldn't have that kind of material... it should though have lots of inteviews or making of the movie.. SOMETHING! It needs to be boosted and shown... at least pics of the set they built just for that movie... that set was amazing!
  7. heralde Well-Known Member

Personally I grew up seeing Muppet documentaries and how the puppets worked and it never bothered me, even at a very young age. I loved learning more. But all kids are different. I would have been relieved if I saw that there was a person under a puppet or costume becaused I got scared easily, lol. :)
  8. Redsonga Active Member

I've always more lived in my own fantasy bubble *lol*
    I guess I am one of the few where human beings scared me a lot more often than puppets:sympathy:. To me, puppets could do no real harm but real people, there was no limit to what they could do..but then, most of the live action movies I saw when I was little were very..depressing:p
    There should be something about the first main humans on SS, I have not seen Bob do anything in a long while:concern:
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

Well I was a weird kid, lol. I was very shy and not particularly more comfortable around people. Just that I had a very active imagination and got nervous around those live walk around characters. Though, I didn't mind Sesame Place, so maybe it would have been OK, lol.
  10. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Lol I shook hands with a walk around banana and a doughnut off wrigley's ads. And some woman was like "Gee people are getting kinky with that banana"
  11. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Caroll Spinney has done book signings with Oscar on his hand. I've been to one and there were plenty of kids around so I wouldn't see an issue with it in a behind the scenes capacity. The bird thing is a little more traumatic as it involves head removal. I hope there's of footage of Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, Jerry Nelson and Frank Oz too.
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

But then again, it's hard to tell if a 1 year old can pay attention to anything... they like to explore the world around them most of all. If you just learned to walk, wouldn't you try to run?

I'd expose them to classic SS when they're older, and can appreciate it. A lot of the indignant parents that write those reviews buy these things for kids under 3 years old. And it's been proven TV isn't effective on kids that young.
  13. Zack the Dog Active Member

This is great news! I love the promo! I didn't think the first dvd release had a promo? or maybe i missed it. The cover as mentioned before makes me hate photoshop, lol! But I'm happy they already released it with the original poster art so you can just switch the dvd cases if you like. It also nice to see that Kermit was in the promo so we don't have to even have speculate that Kermit's part being edited out.:)
  14. heralde Well-Known Member

I think you're right that TV watching period doesn't help 1 year olds much. They should get more opportunity to move around and explore. But I did watch SS when I was that young, before Elmo was around and I still enjoyed it (at least that's what my parents say lol). Kids didn't start watching it when they were 4 even back in the day. And I'm positive there are 1 year olds who enjoy classic SS today, as well as the Elmo stuff. :)
  15. Redsonga Active Member

If they are one year old though, I really don't see showing them the older show from the start as making them 'run'. It is such an early age that they are taking everything in and much of those things shown from the first five years is known to grow their tastes and character to began with, so why not give them something with more depth? Why not Big Bird's SS, FR, and classical novels like my parents did with me? Not non-stop hours of tv you understand, but when you do have tv it might as well be something good, older SS should not be seen as something you have to appreciate rather than just being able to enjoy from the start IMHO. Anymore that the fact that I did not know 99% of the guest stars on SS when I was little means that I didn't enjoy it and shouldn't have been watching it :coy:
  16. muppetfan89 Member

I am so excited about this. I just wished they used the original cover, that's a great one. I already have that edition of the film, but I might trade it in, so I can get this one...:)

I also hope the features are great and not kiddy stuff. I hope they have a behind the scenes documentary and interviews with the cast, particurally Carroll Spinney, I would love to hear his experience with having his character in his own movie. He never talks about the movie in his autobiography for some reason.
  17. heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah I know that would be the best! Well, from a fan's pov, the film was a huge deal of course. But maybe for the actors it was just one of the many big events in 40 years. ::shrugs:: :)
  18. Redsonga Active Member

When I like the first movie poster of something I print a copy of it and just slip it/glue it into/onto the factory made one :). Instant better picture:excited:! I've done it with all of my favorite 80's movie dvds, the Care Bears Movie, and Secret Of NIMH posters are ten times better than the new art:coy:
  19. Libba Yuki Member

I like your idea Redsonga, I'll probably end up doing that when I get this on dvd. The original cover was so much nicer!

Anyway, it's really funny that I stumbled across this thread today...because a few hours ago I was discussing with my sister about getting this on dvd (since we both loved it growing up, and it still lived up to my memories of it when I caught part of it on tv last year).

I'm very much looking forward to this dvd release!
  20. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

What would be great is if they would have ethier a Big Bird Comentery or a Carol Spinny Comentary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.