Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Beauregard

Reaction score
I thought he sounded very much like the Santa from the updated Miracle on 34th Street...So it actually fitted in really well since I'd watched that the day before and been re-convinced of Santa's existence before going in to the movie.

MWoO

Reaction score
I didn't hate him being British, I hated him period. To me the actor didn't pull it off. The lines were poorly delivered. That combined with the accent made me hate Santa.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought Officer Meanie and Joy were both performed with a good mixture of childlike/ish qualities. It was obvious from the start that Meanie's gruff nature was a facade to compensate for his arrested development as a young child.

I felt that same way too. I just wish that (once again) the movie had been longer so we could see more of that sort of thing happening with him.

Though, it is a classic cliche, the character that has feelings against Santa because they didn't get what they wanted as a kid, and then they finally wind up getting it at the end of the special/movie.
Surprised by all the british santa hate. I always pictured him as faintly british sounding.
I always pictured him with a German (or Eastern European) accent... after all, that's pretty much where Santa came from. That said, I agree... there was something off about that Santa... I get they wanted someone unrecognizable, but I think they should have put someone else in the role. But then again, (time again) we basically got Santa for 5 minutes, 7 minutes from the end.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Santa and Crumpits

Santa was meant to be an understated character in this film. I think this actor did exactly that. The writers debated about showing Santa at all, but felt his screen absence would attract too much attention.

The magic isn't supposed to be with Santa in this special. The magic is with the Muppets getting their letters to him. I'm pleased the actor didn't try to steal his scenes from the Muppets. It wouldn't have worked, mind you, but it just would have been uneven with the rest of the tone.

American cinema always uses British accents for overseas characters from Santa to Nazis. There's really nothing strange about it here.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
American cinema always uses British accents for overseas characters from Santa to Nazis. There's really nothing strange about it here.
Lol, that's so true. The rule in Hollywood is, if you want them to seem foreign to an American audience, give them the British accent! Even when they're not supposed to be British! :insatiable:

Davina

Reaction score
that is assuming they bother to give them any accent at all... see the current tom cruise flick as the latest example... note serious lack at any attempt at german accent...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
that is assuming they bother to give them any accent at all... see the current tom cruise flick as the latest example... note serious lack at any attempt at german accent...
So wait...he's supposed to be German? Lol, wow I figured he was playing an American, lol. (Love history but not as up on WWII lol)

Davina

Reaction score
yes.. hard to tell, but it's supposed to be the story of how some of hitler's own men tried to kill him.. hard to tell that from the adverts though.. and yes.. Ever After is another good one.. they should have had at least a few of them try a faint french accent... but closest we got was slight faint tinges of bristish accents.. at best....
ah well.. that's hollywood for you... i think they've pretty much given up trying.. on the basis that either we're too stupid to understand such things.. or the actors anymore can't be bothered or simply can't do it... not sure which.. probablly a little of both...