Robin in "Letters to Santa"

xochval15

Reaction score
What was up with Robins voice in "Letters to Santa?" Did I miss something or does Jerry Nelson not do his voice anymore?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Jerry has retired from doing the muppets, although I think he still does Count on Sesame Street.

Robin was performed by someone else, perhaps David Rudman maybe?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson stop doing his "Muppet Show" Muppets quite some time ago, he didn't do Floyd (I believe it was John Kenndy, and I think he did great), not to mention he also didn't do Lew Zealand as that was Bill.

Although that Robin voice did sound somewhat odd, I think it's awesome they even put him in there. Maybe there going a new way with Robin, maybe there going to make it so he's not five anymore, makes sense to me. Maybe their making out to be a pre-teen or maybe around eight or nine years old. I think it could work

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am a diehard Robin fan and I don't like his nice voice at all, like I posted before:

As far as him aging, none of the main muppets ever age past their prime (or oldest) so why can't he stay five forever? There is no harm in it IMHO :stick_out_tongue:...
Once you star aging characters it can really become a problem to, because not only does it age everything set before then, but then if the main characters age to and become too 'boring' or set in their ways you run the risk of having to retire the characters because new fans might not 'get' them, and old fans might feel a bit left out that you are changing their beloved characters...
Or, aging might end in the series having to restart (with the characters they old ages) to be 'fresh', which leads to a whole other set of troubles :frown:.
I say the muppets are timeless so time should not effect Robin ether :3!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was okay with Robin's voice. Jerry Nelson has such a distinct sharp quality to his vocal performances that kind of grips words in a way that can't be duplicated. The fantastic Mr. Nelson is an original.

I do believe that we just have to let the performers work it out and permit their vocal talents to grow into the character. I don't believe in losing Muppets because their primary performer has moved on for one reason or another. Let's face it; there will come a time when even Dave and Steve hand their characters over to other puppeteers.

The Muppets have had their golden time under Jim. I am hoping for a new renaissance that will include some recasts, some new Muppeteers and hopefully several new Muppets!

Scooter is one of my favorite characters. There's a reason the over-eager and somewhat mischievous gofer with aspirations and a can-do spirit is used in my MC Staff bio picture. Even though this is the strangest he's sounded of all the recast attempts, I have confidence in a Steve Whitmire-like growth. There's more to a Muppet than the voice. Much more. I have faith in the Muppeteers' internal judgments.

Redsonga

Reaction score
There's more than voices to the muppets but to me a lot of Robin's soul is his voice and when it is still off like it is it just doesn't seem like Robin to me :frown:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm not saying they should make Robin into an 16 yeah teen who wants to drive, or a 18 year just got out of High school or a 21 year old looking for a job. I'm just saying what would be the harm to have him age two or three years, after thrity plus years. I don't see how that would be a problem.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm not saying they should make Robin into an 16 yeah teen who wants to drive, or a 18 year just got out of High school or a 21 year old looking for a job. I'm just saying what would be the harm to have him age two or three years, after thrity plus years. I don't see how that would be a problem.
I'm just a stubborn Robin fan that doesn't like the idea, don't mind me :smile:. It's not reasonable or mature, but I just like him staying five or six :excited:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There's more than voices to the muppets but to me a lot of Robin's soul is his voice and when it is still off like it is it just doesn't seem like Robin to me :frown:
I agree with you. Robin is very much Jerry's character in many ways. There's just no replacing his vocal talent, hence there is no remedy. I feel Robin's performance was okay. It's better than losing the character or having him remain silent like Rowlf was all those years. This sort of thing is going to happen as the performers age. I suppose we'll have to find peace with it now in one way or another. Scooter is to me what Robin seems like to you and both performances need a bit of work. I'm sure the performers would be the first to admit that and it's what they want too. I think they deserved a pat on the back for the job they've done so far. :super:

JJandJanice said:
I can go with 6 or 7 as long as the puppet remains the same, but I really don't see a point. I've looked at Robin as about 7 since MCC anyway. Maybe he should be an age ambiguous amphibian! :wink:

xochval15

Reaction score
Aww, I'm soo bummed! Jerry was such an asset to the Muppet Family. He brougt life into his characters, especially Robin. He's a little froggy but with such a strong voice and heart. It just wasn't the same. I know there have been other Muppet Christmas specials but this one was most publicized and I couldn't help but compare it with the Muppet Family Christmas! Redsonga, you took the word right out of my mouth! I completely agree!