Your Thoughts: Street Gang – The Complete History of Sesame Street

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On December 26, the long-awaited book, "Street Gang – The Complete History of Sesame Street" by Michael Davis will be released nationwide. It is available as a hardcover book and also a CD set narrated by Caroll Spinney.

This article includes info on the book, Michael Davis' book tour and a Q&A with Davis...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/121808.shtml

Since most of us will be getting this release, we'd like to mention that if you order either the Street Gang Book or Street Gang CD Set narrated by Caroll Spinney from Amazon using the links above, a small portion of your order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on this new release with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through the site.

After you get your copy, please be sure to post your thoughts here.

dietrich

Reaction score
I pre-ordered my copy weeks ago. Has anyone gotten their copy early? I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
WOO-HOO! I got my copy of the book TONIGHT at Borders! And I'm so glad my cousin was shopping with me because I totally didn't see it.

I've all ready started reading and I have to say it is captivating even in the prologue!

Much thanks to Michael for taking on such a great project!:wisdom:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for mine. It just started shipping yesterday I think.

dietrich

Reaction score
WOO-HOO! I got my copy of the book TONIGHT at Borders! And I'm so glad my cousin was shopping with me because I totally didn't see it.

I've all ready started reading and I have to say it is captivating even in the prologue!

Much thanks to Michael for taking on such a great project!:wisdom:
Great news. Tell me does the book talk about rare sketches and characters?

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I've only got through the Prologue and the first two chapters which mainly focus on Joan Ganz Cooney. It's VERY interesting, because you are placed right at the moment and place in time where the idea for SS first came up.

Dshibshm

Reaction score
Is it similar to Unpaved, like with all the old stuff from the show and the background secrets?

zns

Reaction score
Since I got a giftcard for B&N as a Christmas gift from a friend of mine, I'm going to use it on this book.

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
I clued my wife into it. So I wasn't surprised, but still very pleased at it being under the tree today!

I am about three chapters in. Great stuff so far.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since Friday is kind of an unusual release day for a book, i checked the bookstores yesterday figuring the 26th date was kind of a conservative date given how Christmas might mess up mail/deliveries - and sure enough i found it in the second bookstore i looked in.

To answer a previous question, no, it is not like Sesame Unpaved - there's a book coming out later this next year which will be more like a 40th anniversary edition of Unpaved - more the coffee table style book loaded with both text, trivia, and pictures. Street Gang is an in-depth history woven together much like a historic novelization...there's some insert pages in the middle with some rare b&w photos, but it's not mostly a major telling of Sesame's history, development, backstage struggles and challenges, etc.

Shy of 400 pages, this will take some time to go through but i love what i've read so far...i can honestly say this is the book a lot of us have been waiting for...while there is focus on a lot of major players and parts of the Sesame team not necessairily connected with the Muppets, there's also a level of in-depth stories, facts, and descriptions of what they're really like that is culled from over 200 interviews and lots of other keys-to-the-kingdom sources - you will read stuff in here that you probably would never find in an authorized Henson biography. The prologue focuses on Henson's memorial (and for those who have seen the tape of it in its entirety, you'll learn the rather surprising reason why Daryl Hannah had been in such a prime spot among Henson's closest associated) and a lot of stuff that was going through Joan Ganz Cooney's and others' minds as to how the loss of Henson as a firm advocate of not including the Sesame characters as part of the sale to Disney was going to make things very tough for them soon afterwards...we've heard some of the horror stories...there's those and more really shocking stuff there. So far i've read the prologue, did a little bit of skimming through to get a feel for the goodies i'm in for, read most of chapters 1-4, chapter 5 (Jim bio), chapter 7 (Spinney bio) and you'll learn a lot more about Spinney that what we got "Wisdom of Big Bird" about his early years, career, and influences. And this is all really just the beginning. The book doesn't shy away from what some might consider "dirt" but it's not there for tabloid type shock value but just part of the real unsanitized story of how things are and have been.

I really don't want to give away a lot of surprises just yet...but trust me, there will be many!