Rumor: Avenue Q to end on Broadway

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Just heard on the radio that the infamous musical on Broadway about homosexual puppets living amongst each other will be closing soon along with 8 other shows. I guess the economy got the best of Broadway too. Well, it can only get so bad that it has to get better again.:smirk:
Can someone please confirm this? I know that the London Q is closing in March but have heard no immediate plans for the NY Broadway show. Reservations are still being taken through August 2009. I can't find any other information to support that the Broadway show is closing any time soon.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I can't find anything on this either. Saw an article about it closing, but then realized it was an old one about the Vegas production. There are 13 Broadways shows closing soon...does anyone have the list?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, I can't find anything on the internet about Avenue Q closing but if it is... real shame. My favorite musical still had a pretty great run. I'd want to see it one more time before it closes.

Jinx

Reaction score
I have not heard anything about the show closing. Last week's grosses indicated they were playing to 90.2% capacity. Not exactly the figures you see for a show that is shuttering, unless it's "final weeks".

There are many shows that have, or have announced that they will be shuttering; 13, Hairspray, Grease, Boeing-Boeing, Gypsy, Young Frankenstein, Monty Python's Spamalot, White Christmas (seasonal) and Spring Awakening that I know of.

Every day I am checking on the latest in Broadway happenings through numerous sources. I've not heard anything about Ave. Q closing, although it certainly wouldn't break my heart. I really never cared for the show...

muppetinsider

Reaction score
Avenue Q is amongst those mentioned; just heard it on the NY jazz station the other day.

Jinx

Reaction score
Avenue Q is amongst those mentioned; just heard it on the NY jazz station the other day.
Yeah.... as of today (1-9-09, 4:45 eastern time) there's no mention of it closing on broadway.com, playbill.com, or broadwayworld.com. Three websites whose business it is to know and report on such things.

Now, the TOUR does close in Schenectady, NY on the 25th, so perhaps it's possible that this is what was heard?

I'm prepared to dismiss this as a rumor possibly heard "on the NY jazz station".

jcnegron

Reaction score
I don't think so. There is a contest going on right now (two more days before the deadline) to choose the lyrics that will substitute the song with the "George bush" phrase on it. The winning Lyric will be performed on the 20th. Why bother if it were finishing soon?

jcnegron

Reaction score
And by the way, it is not about homosexual puppets. It has only one main gay character and the plot doesn't revolve entirely on him. The same can not be said of many broadway hits.