Muppet Robin Hood comic coming April 29, 2009

Amy

Reaction score
I have to say, I don't like how Sam is Prince John... Sam seems more likely to be the King. I think that Pepe would have filled the role much, much better, as an egotistical, easily corruptible leader. Sam seems too Patriotic, and country before everything else to me.
Sam's not Prince John, he's the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Remember that these storybook adaptations are good-natured send-ups, especially with the Muppets doing them. The Sheriff as usually depicted in popular culture is a bully, but also something of a buffoon. He exists for Robin to bamboozle. Sounds like Sam to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sam's not Prince John, he's the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Remember that these storybook adaptations are good-natured send-ups, especially with the Muppets doing them. The Sheriff as usually depicted in popular culture is a bully, but also something of a buffoon. He exists for Robin to bamboozle. Sounds like Sam to me.
Ah, now I get it. I musta been thinking as Sam in reference to Sean Connery's King in Prince of Theives (or more likely Patrick Stewart's in Men in Tights, cuz I actually saw that one...) But I can really see him as the Sheriff, annoyed by the unPatriotic, and shamefully undignified acts of Robin Hood.

Amy

Reaction score
Time to blow some dust off the thread.

Muppet Robin Hood #1 is now ON for a May 27th release.
It's right there on Boom's 'Coming Next Week' list.

I figured they'd just delay it by a month and they did.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Tough Pigs now has a review of Muppet Robin Hood. I think it's the first review so far.

It confirms that Sweetums plays Little John, mentions a running gag about Kermit as Robin Hood, and also includes an appearance by acharacter not seen since the first season of The Muppet Show. It doesn't say who it is, though. I wonder if that reviewer considers background appearances to count. But.. could it be Hilda? One of the first season jugband members? the shouting lady? a talking house?

Amy

Reaction score
mentions a running gag about Kermit as Robin Hood,
It's more the running confusion in having Kermit as 'Robin' when his own little nephew NAMED Robin is also running around in there.
It's a funny thing with these adaptations. Even when the Muppets are playing other characters, it's very hard to not continue to call them Kermit, Piggy etc :big_grin:

I have the script for Issue 1, but I'm not going to spoil the rest.

BlakeMP

Reaction score
Just a note everyone -- although Muppet Robin Hood IS scheduled for a May 27 release, because of the Memorial Day holiday, it's likely that many comic shops in the US will get their books a day later than usual, i.e. May 28. If you're planning to pop in on Wednesday to get the comic, you may want to call the comic shop and ask if it's going to be on-sale or if you should wait until Thursday.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why is the cover art seem to be better than the interior drawing? I blame Amy! (kidding, of course) :wink:

Still, I'm enjoying the style of the different covers a great deal. How are artists chosen for the content duties? Does it have to do with a relationship with the writer?

Still, Kermit seems to look pretty solid in it and all the various Hood covers too. Does the same artist have to work on all four issues for continuity sake or will that change?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
That review sounds VERY promising! I've really been looking forward to this one.

Does anyone know if this one gets a "newsstand" release like the TMS comic does? In other words... can I find it at Barnes and Noble? :stick_out_tongue:

Leyla

Reaction score
I just love the cover art for this one. I'm so excited for it to come out! Glad to hear that it sounds like the inside will be as good as the outside. Now here's hoping it comes out in my neck of the woods...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why is the cover art seem to be better than the interior drawing? I blame Amy! (kidding, of course) :wink:
Same reason why animated TV shows have better animation in the opening than in the actual series. You have a much longer time to work on something smaller. But so far, I am happy with it. It has almost an Eastern style to it, and it looks like the perfect sort of art for a mild action/comedy series. Much like Roger's art works perfectly with a straight up comedy.

I cannot wait for future Muppet comic projects, if anything to see other artist's takes on it. I'll be getting this as soon as I can... went on a spending jag this weekend, and I forgot about this.