Sesame Street Anounces Layoffs

muppet baby

Reaction score
this is really sad i did not see a news report on this just this thread here . It is so sad but in a way i am not surprised because of it being a non profit place that funs to great seseme street . I hope that they will be able to put the prosestions back soon when the resesion ends .:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really starting to get worried about this, but only a little bit. It's scary knowing what has been going on in the news lately, but I don't think that Sesame Workshop is going to pull the plug on their operations. They will probably try to get more help and fiancial aid from other services if needed.
And us fans gotta help out by buying T-shirts and stuff like that. I almost wish there was more merchandise that appealed to me.

I'm just worried if this effects the future of the show at all. And productions overseas (which are even more important than our own in some cases).

ploobis

Reaction score
And us fans gotta help out by buying T-shirts and stuff like that. I almost wish there was more merchandise that appealed to me.

I'm just worried if this effects the future of the show at all. And productions overseas (which are even more important than our own in some cases).
Well hey, When the new Anniversary edition of "Follow That Bird" comes out we'll be there for that! :wisdom:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
is there any other info on this? i haven't seen a single "news" report that's done anything but parrot back the statistic and make some joke about it. it would be nice if someone in the press actually ASKED sw what the cutbacks mean in terms of production and what the workshop's priorities are for where to put the little money they still have. i don't see anything on their website about it either--the latest press releases are from January. i do hope that's not an ironic consequence of the layoffs, because the new website is so great, it seems like such an asset for their educational goals--as long as it continues to get updated.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's a company, it will work itself out. I'm still concerned about all the people out of work.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a company, it will work itself out. I'm still concerned about all the people out of work.
I'm worried because it's a Not for Profit organization, and about all the wonderful stuff they do all over the world. I mean, we see it as the company that makes Sesame Street and puts it on TV, but let's not forget all those co-productions aimed at spreading peace when the adults just don't want to (effectively acting more like children than the children themselves). Anything that causes a dent in that sort of philanthropic, kind hearted company is serious.

And yes, I also worry about the workers. I like how recessions feed gluttonously off themselves. Company loses money, it fires employees, they can't afford to buy stuff, company loses money, and the vicious cycle completes itself. I swear the bigger companies that losing money is no big deal winds up affecting the little guys like SW and even smaller, independently and locally owned companies.

WinWillie

Reaction score
Not for profits rely on donations and grants and in this economy, that's very difficult. Sad that this and so many other nonprofits will be adversely impacted.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that they'll be able to pay there annual and yearly budget and production costs as usual, So I see what Heralde is saying. So I hope off the best to every one who is affected in this.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I think that they'll be able to pay there annual and yearly budget and production costs as usual, So I see what Heralde is saying. So I hope off the best to every one who is affected in this.
I totally agree william , i really hope that it all works out . I think that the company will do ok .

I also truly belive that there are so many people who support this comany and a lot of poeple also know that we need seseme street to , it is to good .