Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

doc hopper

Reaction score
What's everyone so excited about? Saving the theater? AGAIN? oh, this time it's from a Texas oil tycoon... seriously? Calling celebrities for cameos? You mean like how Kermit did in the Very Merry Xmas Movie? And speaking of cameos... Rachel Ray? How obvious to team the Swedish Chef up with Rachel Ray. Rachel Ray? And everyone sings Mahna Mahna at the end? WHAT? What's so "spectacular" about all that?

Oh - but thumbs up on Charles Grodin.

Rax

Reaction score
How obvious to team the Swedish Chef up with Rachel Ray.
Just as obvious as Doc Hopper hating the idea of this new Muppet movie, right? :stick_out_tongue:

Just kidding. I don't think anyone thinks ending with Mahna Mahna is spectacular on paper. But that doesn't mean it can't turn out to be spectacular if done the right way.

Gr, Rax

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah. It doesn't sound like a great finale on paper. However, it's quite easy to imagine the song getting zanier and zanier with each verse. Done right, the finale would ROCK.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Some things look awful on paper but when you see them in a movie they blow you away :big_grin:. It's all in how you use it...

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Of course it's not Goelz. The guy isn't stupid!
I never thought it was him- the person commenting right before me said something like "Gonzo or Dave Golez liked the script" and I was just saying that there is no proof of that and should never jump to conclusions like that. This guy may be making the whole thing up. Who would leak that much info when the movie is so new? sounds like someone need to be fired or is not a good friend

IF its true thast is

Rax

Reaction score
I never thought it was him- the person commenting right before me said something like "Gonzo or Dave Golez liked the script" and I was just saying that there is no proof of that and should never jump to conclusions like that. This guy may be making the whole thing up. Who would leak that much info when the movie is so new? sounds like someone need to be fired or is not a good friend

IF its true thast is
I know, I know. Don't get me wrong, I was just underlining what you're saying. :wink:

Gr, Rax

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
What's everyone so excited about? Saving the theater? AGAIN? oh, this time it's from a Texas oil tycoon... seriously? Calling celebrities for cameos? You mean like how Kermit did in the Very Merry Xmas Movie? And speaking of cameos... Rachel Ray? How obvious to team the Swedish Chef up with Rachel Ray. Rachel Ray? And everyone sings Mahna Mahna at the end? WHAT? What's so "spectacular" about all that?

Oh - but thumbs up on Charles Grodin.
You know? I agree. I think it's time the have a new story to tell.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
You know? I agree. I think it's time the have a new story to tell.
Take a look at it this way...

What has almost everyone said brings out the best in the Muppets? Answer: the variety show format classic to the old Muppet Show.

Where has the theater been for thirty years? Answer: who knows? We saw it pop up in VMC, and I think everyone can agree that the characters really looked at home.

What is Segel trying to do with this movie? Answer: bring the Muppets back into their home. By adding the theater element back into the plot and their lives we get the prospect of a NEW Muppet Show set IN the theater, we get to see our beloved Muppets fighting for the thing that brought them to stardom and brought them to our homes.

Face it, without the theater (or The Muppet Show) the Muppets would be nothing. Segel has tapped the power of that place and turned it in to a fight for something that we love and the Muppets love. We want to root on the Muppets when they're fighting for the theater. We all cheered on Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy when they raced to save the theater from the clutches of Mrs. Bitterman in VMC, why wouldn't we cheer them on in this?

It's not the same. This time Kermit has to inspire the gang to put on a show again to save the theater--to save their home. This time it's Kermit who brings them back together again, like the old days, to do what? The timeless old adage from the frog himself, sing, and dance, and make people happy.

I think this is the story that needs to be told. Yes, it's been told before, but I think at this era of Muppet lore, this is the story that needs to be told to non-obsessed fans out there. People need to remember that Kermit is the host of a show always on the brink of collapse. People need to remember that Miss Piggy is a beautiful, talented diva. People need to remember that Fozzie is a terrible stand-up comedian. People need to remember that Gonzo is insane (then again... how do you forget THAT?). People need to remember that Rowlf plays the piano and puns, that the Electric Mayhem rocks HARD, that Scooter is a go-fer, that Sam Eagle projects his thoughts about moral indecencies, that Crazy Harry blows stuff up, that Lew Zealand throws fish! People need to remember that, and Segel's movie seems, to me, like a sure fire way to remind people.