Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It is my understanding that Boom is printing these in smaller batches in order to make sure they will sell through. They will be printing more batches of this same issue, but I don't think they want product lingering on shelves. I suppose the one best way to get them is through their own site, but they do take a little time mailing them. The last Wednesday of each month is when new titles come out. I show up that day to get mine, but San Francisco does still have several comic book store options. I like getting my stuff in stores too.

See thats what I thought to, but when talking with the Comic book guys they seemd not to order it, just because they didn't think it would sell!
Now correct me if I'm wrong but havn't these bein getting sold out in stores? So of corse they would get sold. People love the Muppets, and they seem to love these comics.
I've got one store ordering me the first two comics. They are second prints. Which is fine since i really don't want to collect them I just want to have them, and read them. I must say however that the people that run the comic books stores are some of the niceset people i think I've ever met. However I think from now on I'm going to ethier order the comics from Boom or from Bell Book and Comic, and help support the Muppetcast,

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I gotta say, I liked the second issue of the Muppet Show comic book even more than the first. It seemed like the voice of the characters was a little more spot-on, and the Fozzie story seemed like something that could have come right out of an actual Muppet Show episode. Keep up the good work!

Amy

Reaction score
See thats what I thought to, but when talking with the Comic book guys they seemd not to order it, just because they didn't think it would sell!
That seems to be the attitude of SOME comic sellers, but not all.
The 'selling out' that people are reading about is Diamond, the distributer, selling out of their initial print run - because it's all been pre-bought by, yep, comic sellers.
It could very well be that some comic stores simple can't GET the comics because they're not quick enough to order them when they first appear in Previews.

Don't forget, also, that these comics will also be showing up in mainstream markets through a different distributor. I asked some friends who have been collecting comics their whole lives, and they assert that comics for newstands are usually released several months after their debut in the direct market (comic stores). So while we might have to wait a little for further print runs, there WILL be more copies of the Muppet Show slowly reappearing.

Half the reason Muppets is doing so well in direct market is that the Muppets have a huge retro cult following. Pixar characters are much newer and Cars especially is a HUGE hit with kids. I imagine the Pixar titles will do amazingly well once they're in a place parents can easily find them.

Ok I'm looking over at Boom's web site and found this. What is this and why have I not heard much about this one?
That came out last month, it's been on Boom's site for a while. My first Muppet cover :smile: If you go to Midtown's site, they have it marked down to about 8 bucks.
There IS a retail variant out there somewhere for Muppet Show #2 which I also did, but I haven't seen it anywhere. It's got Fozzie on it and it's driving me nuts.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That came out last month, it's been on Boom's site for a while. My first Muppet cover :smile: If you go to Midtown's site, they have it marked down to about 8 bucks.
There IS a retail variant out there somewhere for Muppet Show #2 which I also did, but I haven't seen it anywhere. It's got Fozzie on it and it's driving me nuts.
I know you can't show us, but could you tell us what Fozzie is doing on your cover? I'm curious. :embarrassed:

This Muppet comics launch seems to be very cautious so far, but that's a good thing. Still, a lot of comic shop owners have been upset about delayed orders or an insufficient number of copies to stock. It's good to know that will be remedied soon.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That seems to be the attitude of SOME comic sellers, but not all.
The 'selling out' that people are reading about is Diamond, the distributer, selling out of their initial print run - because it's all been pre-bought by, yep, comic sellers.
It could very well be that some comic stores simple can't GET the comics because they're not quick enough to order them when they first appear in Previews.

Don't forget, also, that these comics will also be showing up in mainstream markets through a different distributor. I asked some friends who have been collecting comics their whole lives, and they assert that comics for newstands are usually released several months after their debut in the direct market (comic stores). So while we might have to wait a little for further print runs, there WILL be more copies of the Muppet Show slowly reappearing.

Half the reason Muppets is doing so well in direct market is that the Muppets have a huge retro cult following. Pixar characters are much newer and Cars especially is a HUGE hit with kids. I imagine the Pixar titles will do amazingly well once they're in a place parents can easily find them.

Wow I'm so glad that you are here Amy answering our questions. I love that cover, but where there some leagal issuses with it, because Sony owns the Muppets take Manhatan, so I wonder if that was a porblem.

Amy

Reaction score
Wow I'm so glad that you are here Amy answering our questions. I love that cover, but where there some leagal issuses with it, because Sony owns the Muppets take Manhatan, so I wonder if that was a problem.
Not that I'm aware of. The design of that cover was a very specific request by Midtown, so I'd say any resemblance to Muppets Take Manhattan was a deliberate parody. But I have heard of no legal problems with it at all.
I did the cover as requested, it went onto Midtown's shelves just fine and it's still there to buy if people want.

Amy

Reaction score
I know you can't show us, but could you tell us what Fozzie is doing on your cover? I'm curious. :embarrassed:
Look for a watercolour-style cover of Fozzie doing the Tragedie-Comedie masks type thing.

The Narrator

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to read Issue #2 over the weekend. It always takes a couple pages before the artwork really "clicks" for me, but once it did, I enjoyed this book much more than the first issue. The Fozzie Bear storyline felt a bit more real to me (that is, truer to a Muppet Show storyline) and I found I could actually hear more of the Muppets voices in my head. It had its moments of faltering (Statler and Waldorf seemed a bit off me), but if the books continue to improve then I should be a very happy camper come the next issue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It had its moments of faltering (Statler and Waldorf seemed a bit off me), but if the books continue to improve then I should be a very happy camper come the next issue.
The only real complaint I have is that Statler and Waldorf's dialogue seems like it was interchanged, as if Waldorf was saying Statler's set ups, and Statler was cracking Waldorf's punchlines. But then again, it took me a while to get that down myself.... Not really a big deal, I like how they're represented... but seems like they need to switch word bubbles most of the time.