D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yahoo! has just posted a story about it. Who knows if this is still true that it's "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" and not the Greatest, but still... it's an announcement. This is HUGE!
That's the buzz. The "Cheapest" title is funnier so maybe they just went with that. It's the word "Movie" that I'm most responding to, but we keep hearing this. I hope the time and expense of the riverboat translates into some Disney-doing!

Luke

Reaction score
It does sound like its gonna be "Cheapest" now, because more sites have annoucned it and also even referenced the old Jim script but who knows, maybe they got that from here or something.

I don't like the idea of naming it "Cheapest", prefer "Greatest" - reason being, firstly "Greatest" sounds better for a consumer point of view, especially it being the Muppets triumphant return to the Theatres and secondly "Cheapest" opens them up to a whole lot of jokes if the movie isn't quite up to par .. and even if it isn't, people will do the jokes anyway. Saying that it seems the Segal script is an interpretation of that script, and if it is, interesting that they are continuing to keep Gonzo as lead role like they did with MCC and MTI and good that it will show the Muppets all getting back together which is definitely the right kind of message to send to the public (even if they haven't actually been apart)

MuppetMazz

Reaction score
From The Muppet Newsflash's Twitter feed: http://twitpic.com/hbk8o

GREAT picture of all of the Vinylmation statues featuring the Muppets. SO excited to see this news trickling out to us! Also... note the white writing on the wall. Classic Muppet humor! :big_grin:
Also the Pook-a-Looz have Animal and Kermit ones there too. So there's new product to go with this new movie news? This D23 convention ends up being great news for us all, huh?

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Yeah, I was there guys. They announced that it will be titled "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" and the graphic for the title was paper taped up to a wall with the words written in black ink. As for what went on; basically Dick Cook from WDPictures was like "hey guys, come on out" and they wouldn't come out. Thats when Fozzie, Gonzo, and Pepe show up overhead on the screen and say Kermit is missing. Dick says "can the show still go on" and Pepe says "of course!", Dick walks off stage and the 3 debate the fact that they really do NOT have a plan for what to do on stage without Kermit. Then Pepe says "I have an Idea!" and the curtain opens and out comes HALF of the Mark Twain. Pepe sings a song. Then more of the boat comes out and we see Sweetums pushing it and Miss Piggy on the back half. She says "I have a better song" and she sings it with all the chickens, penguins, and Robin joining on the bottom deck. Finally, Gonzo says "WE NEED Kermit". We hear the strumming of a Banjo to the tune of Rainbow Connection and Kermit appears on the top deck. The words were a little different, the chorus was like "The Lovers, The Dreamers, and You". The song ends, crowd applauds, and the boat dissapears on the other side of the stage. Dick Cook comes back out, he says the upcoming movie will be called "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" and the graphic shows up on screen. and that was IT. The whole presentation was a little rushed, so that segment actually got a lot of time. But all we got out of it about the movie was the title.
Also, here is an AWESOME picture of the gang on the Mark Twain.
http://twitpic.com/hdc0c

theprawncracker

Reaction score
That picture is INCEDIBLE! Thank you SOOOOOO much for that AND the synopsis! SO cool. SOOOOO cool. Can you tell us if it was Steve Whitmire performing Kermit? Still... He sang RAINBOW? That's... AMAZING. I love it, I love it, I LOVE it! The movie has been announced, the Muppets were there in FULL form... Wow, wow, WOOOOOOOW.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS! Video footage from today: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/0...udios-presentation-featuring-dick-cook-et-al/ Muppet stuff starts around 2:30! It's not very long, but BOY is it AWESOME! It's definitely Steve as the Frog (YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! ! !) and Pepe sings a parody of "Prince Ali" from Aladdin. Amazing. A-MAZING.

Luke

Reaction score
I love the footage, wow the money they must have spent on that Mark Twain setup and all the Muppeteers who must be there.

Re:- Steve. Kermit wasn't saying anything in the last bit of the clip, performance was probably looped. Hopefully Steve but i'd like to see more to know for sure. Hopefully the Muppets own presentation should tell us a lot more.

It's so good to see the Muppets all back together, singing and doing what they do best. In kinda a more classicy Muppety style than we've seen in years. I like the whole Disney family style atmosphere with them being treated as a special classic brand.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! This si amazing news. I cannot wait for the new muppets movie! And Steve's back! Steve's back! *Faints*

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Not the kind of presentation I was expecting, but hey, it was still neat! And I can't for that movie!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Not the kind of presentation I was expecting, but hey, it was still neat! And I can't for that movie!
There's still more! The actual Muppet Presentation doesn't take place until tomorrow at 1:00. So keep staying tuned! I'm watching Disney fan's Twitter feed from the event, so if anything happens I'll keep you posted!