See?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
So if a thread closes, and no one's there to see it, did it really close? :confused: :halo:
If a thread is killed, and no one is there to watch it die, was it really killed?

The answer is yes because Snowth filed the paperwork on it and I have a copy on my desk!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This is an honest question. If Muppet Central can have fan fics where characters can profess their Christian conversion in detail, are we also able to write a fan fic about Scooter or some other character coming out to the Muppet gang? Of course, I mean in such a way that a Kermit and Piggy or Red and Gobo love story can be written without any inappropriate descriptions.
Hmm...I don't read the fanfics.

I do know that one of the rules of fanfics set forth in the beginning was that the characters must maintain the same integrity in the stories that we've all come to know and love.

While fanfics are basically one fan's way of living out a fantasy story, when posted here it should follow the rules of character integrity. I don't see a character doing that on the show or movies, and therefore should not do it in a fanfic.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
when posted here it should follow the rules of character integrity. I don't see a character doing that on the show or movies, and therefore should not do it in a fanfic.
I understand what you mean by staying true to the character. But....aren't there fanfics where two characters have some kind of relationship (romantic or otherwise) that is never shown in the movies or TV shows?

For instance two characters who never spoke to each other in the movies or show suddenly having deep conversations with each other in fanfics.

I mean fan fics by their nature are meant to tell new stories, and they can't be too much exactly like the real thing or no one would read them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I try really hard to be in character. Yes, some relationships don't exist in canon ... but ... well ... they're extrapolated off of their canon characterizations. Moulin was a bookish water elemental more interested in dancing with the female Moppet than Toby. Rachel was, well, bitter about dreams for some reason. I merged the two's issues. So, it's based off canon, even if the relationship itself isn't.
Well that's what I mean though, we create new relationships in fanfics all the time. How do we know which ones are more canon than others? (not to single you out or anything, just as an example).

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I, for one, went way overboard and provided links to either Wiki or youtube where needed. My Comeback King Saga did that for the first three acts. That way, since it relies heavily on crossover, people can get at least a general idea. Of course, if a reviewer (like more than a couple exist, LOL), has a question, I'm more than happy to answer it, such as where I got a certain idea. I do a LOT of research and RP'ing in my head before I write something. I like to be ready and able to justify any of my ideas.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah it's great when fanfic writers do their research, there's nothing worse than a fanfic that's totally out of character. I think more fanfic writers should do research first. It's just that again, we create new situations and relationships in fan fics all the time. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Then the question should be "is there anything to justify that opinion"? Making a major character ... unusually presented ... is different than making up a third-tier character that barely had any canon development (see: Zoot/Lips). I'm far more forgiving of deepening the third-tier, etc folks than I am the first-tier. After all, it's not our fault the officials didn't bother to give characters much personality or reason for being.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, hehe, I could argue that A Very Merry Muppet Christmas was completely off the mark and out of line with their alternative universe scenes. Yes I know it was an alternate universe, but that doesn't mean that's the way it should have been done. Just one friendly viewer opinion. :wink:

A forum is allowed to run its fanfics however it likes of course. I'm just saying, a lot of it is opinion. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Of course it's all opinion. Here's mine about VMX: only Scooter was really a surprise. Sam I've always suspected was portrayed as the closeted liberal. Everyone else I can see being that way without Kermit. Even more interesting would be what the cast of Sam and Friends and Sesame Street turned out to be (for any fic writers, that's actually a good idea ... go write it, LOL).

Anyway, not to derail the thread with irrelevancy ....

As long as the author has an idea why they said what they said, I'm usually cool with it. They had to pull the idea out of somewhere, even if it's the most obscure line of dialogue or picture or whatever.