Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, girls are supposed to have soft, high voices, while boys have hard, deep voices, lol.

Other than D.W. and Sue Ellen, I don't think there's any other female character on the show who went through a cast change, is there? Again, all the others are played by adults I believe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Other than D.W. and Sue Ellen, I don't think there's any other female character on the show who went through a cast change, is there? Again, all the others are played by adults I believe.
I take that back, D.W.'s imaginary friend, Nadine sounds a little different in more recent seasons as well.

BTW, does anyone know what the heck kind of animal Nadine's supposed to be anyway? I'm assuming she's a squirrel with her bushy tail.

APRena

Reaction score
I take that back, D.W.'s imaginary friend, Nadine sounds a little different in more recent seasons as well.

BTW, does anyone know what the heck kind of animal Nadine's supposed to be anyway? I'm assuming she's a squirrel with her bushy tail.
Chipmunk? Beaver? I learned recently that Francine and Muffy are supposed to be monkeys, which was pretty weird to me. What's Brain? Another monkey or a bear or something?

I liked Nadine. Has she been in recent episodes, or are they trying to make DW grow up?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Chipmunk? Beaver? I learned recently that Francine and Muffy are supposed to be monkeys, which was pretty weird to me. What's Brain? Another monkey or a bear or something?
Yeah, Brain's a bear; I remember years ago on the PBS Kids website there was a questionnaire that you could send to Arthur, and one of the questions was "What kind of animal are you?" and the pretyped response mentioned Brain is a bear (along with him being an aardvark, Buster being a rabbit, Francine and Muffy being monkeys).
I liked Nadine. Has she been in recent episodes, or are they trying to make DW grow up?
Two of the more recent (not TOO recent, mind you) episodes I remember seeing Nadine was D.W. has a dream sequence where she sees what life would be like if she were the older sister and Arthur were her younger brother; then later when D.W. learns a swear word (one of the most hilarious episodes ever written) and asks Nadine among all people her age what it means.

There's a lot of "refered to, but unseen" occasions involving her lately, including this past week's new episode guest starring Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, there was an episode that kinda hinted at that. I only saw it once, and I can't remember the specifics... but it hints at D.W. letting go of Nadine, and Kate promising to have her as her imaginary friend.

It does seem like the only real aging or maturing the characters are going through.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Nadine was in the episode last night if I'm remembering correctly.

Xerus

Reaction score
It seems like every year, they only make a week of new Arthur episodes.

And those kids always seem to be in Mr. Ratburn's class forever. There was even an episode where they had a last day in his class. But when new episodes were made, they were still in the same class like they were more episodes that happened during the school year.

I also found it interesting that little boys ended up voicing D.W. Usually girls voice little boys in cartoons.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
A child's worst nightmare. Staying in a tough teacher's class forever. (I once had a teacher who was teaching us in fourth grade, then she was moved to teaching fifth grade the next year. Maybe that's what happened.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nadine was in the episode last night if I'm remembering correctly.
Oop... I didn't phrase my words correctly...

what I meant to say is that they hinted that D.W. is starting to grow out of Nadine, and it seems she will eventually. She didn't let go of her yet...

The episode is titled Baby Kate and the Imaginary Mystery... It's basically about how Nadine is "missing" and Pal and Kate try to find her... the realization is that D.W. needs her less and less.

I think some of the characters are indeed changing and maturing... look at this yet to be aired episode synopsys...

Paradise Lost: Baby Kate is growing up, and has started saying her first words. But strangely enough, the more words she learns, the less she seems to understand her dog, Pal. The two head off to the Children's Zoo in search of the Dolly Llama for an explanation, and to see if they can reverse the process. Along the way, they learn that growing up is inevitable, and maybe it is not so bad.

APRena

Reaction score
A child's worst nightmare. Staying in a tough teacher's class forever. (I once had a teacher who was teaching us in fourth grade, then she was moved to teaching fifth grade the next year. Maybe that's what happened.)
Hah, that happened to me in reverse. I had the best 1st/2nd grade teacher in the world. The substitute we always had was the horrible one, though. (Also the plot of an Arthur episode, only the sub was a preschool teacher and they WANTED Mr. Ratburn back to be more challenged? Another thing that seems unlikely for 3rd graders. :rolleyes:)