Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yawn.... anyone as bored as I am with the fact they're only releasing current episode street stories lately? :sleep:
Yeah it is a bit boring, though I must point out that the street stories in ABCs with Elmo are from seasons 35 and 37 (or is it 38?), so that doesn't really have any "current" street stories. Unless you include seasons before 40 as "current". Of course I wouldn't mind having a DVD of the two season 40 Big Bird stories, or the worm racecar episode.

I wonder what'll come next. My guess is either a new Elmo's World release (if so I hope it has the "Frogs" episode) or an Abby's Flying Fairy School release. But what I hope for, besides a release geared at Old School-ers, would be a new Play With Me Sesame release. We haven't gotten a new one since 2008, and most of what has been released has been great (there are still quite a few that haven't been released in North America yet). And they include a decent amount of classic segments (though I do wish they would have had more classic stuff than they do...:smile:), most of which is from the 1980s (a few 1970s segments have shown up in some).

Considering Warner Home Video announces new Sesame Street releases two months in advance, if we finally get a new release aimed at the nostalgic fans it sure would beat having to wait several months between announcement and release.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Warners has no intention of any classic fan based release. They stated, Oh no! There's 2 of them and they may just be out of print now, and all the fans got them by now! No, we're just hopping on the Elmo brand name because we're so desperate for something that people will buy. Very irritating. What the heck ever happened to the Hawaiian vacation episodes someone was going to put on DVD?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
People at Warner did state (paraphrasing here) "Classic Sesame Street is already available under 'Old School'." That was a few months ago, and if Warner never intended on any new "Classic Sesame Street" releases, I hope they change their minds someday (if their minds haven't been changed). For awhile I've been thinking about trying to determine when it started becoming less common for new DVDs to contain "old school" segments, but it might also be interesting to study the last few DVDs from the Sony Wonder era as well as Genius releases, to see how the amount of pre-1990 segments may have decreased on DVD.

And if WB doesn't intend on releasing DVDs that are strictly for the "Old School" fans, I would settle for a good compromise. Something better than just one classic clip and lots of non-classics and original footage. I doubt we'll get any new DVDs that are only original footage and classic clips with no 1990-2010 clips at all. Or maybe a DVD coudl include new footage and recent clips and then more than one classic clip as a bonus (I'm thinking 5-15 would be swell). P is for Princess has two Flying Fairy School segments, totaling 20 minutes of bonus content; They can easily put in more than just two or three minutes of bonus classic clips. The Play with Me Sesame DVDs were sort of a good balance between pre- and post-1990 segments (though only a handful of 1970s segments were included). I bought the first "Preschool is Cool!" DVD just to check out how the new series of DVDs is, hoping there'd be more classic clips than the one bonus one; There weren't any other classic clips, but I'd give it three or four out of five stars. Any additional "Preschool is Cool" DVD I get will most likely be after I see a listing of contents or hear about it having something I'm real interested in owning a physical copy of.

Regarding the Hawiia episodes, it was annoucned during the Genius era that Sesame Workshop was negotiating to release footage on a DVD of classic Sesame Street. So far we only got two clips on the 40th anniversary DVD (since they were getting clearances then it makes sense that some of it has been released). I hope we can still get more of the storyline on DVD someday. It's a shame that none of those clips are even on sesamestreet.org. Lately Sesame Workshop has been uploading full street stories online, as part of a "Summer Classics Series". The Hawiia episodes would have been perfect for that, since it's a vacation. Of course I'd rather have the full stories on DVD, and would prefer for sesamestreet.org to just include select clips from those episodes.

And if Warner Home Video has no current intentions of releasing more classic content, then I'll be praying for the company to hire a new person in charge, somebody with inteligence who sees classic Sesame Street as profitable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And if Warner Home Video has no current intentions of releasing more classic content, then I'll be praying for the company to hire a new person in charge, somebody with inteligence who sees classic Sesame Street as profitable.
Warners HATES fans of anything outside of DC comics. And they're only greasing their palms because Super Hero movie fame is all they got now. I've said it before, they're just incompetently run in most of their fields. They're the reason a network that's supposed to run nothing but cartoons wants to run anything BUT cartoons. They're the reason why certain cartoons only get kiddy volumes when they're released on DVD, and half the other sets are unfinished. They had NO intention of releasing anything but Elmo DVD's for the Elmo name. I've said that when the announcement was heard, I've said it every release since. They DON'T want to compromise, they just want "Hey parents! Shove this into your DVD player and your 1 year old will be Babysat for a full half hour!" releases.

I want to see a sub-contract. That's the only way we'll get classic releases. A Sub-license with another company who knows how to treat fans right. Again, I highly suggest going back to Shout for that. They'd make a REAL Old School release for us. Full episodes and everything.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I want to see a sub-contract. That's the only way we'll get classic releases. A Sub-license with another company who knows how to treat fans right. Again, I highly suggest going back to Shout for that. They'd make a REAL Old School release for us. Full episodes and everything.
I thought Shout! was a discontinued brand.

muppet baby

Reaction score
Nope shout is going very strong they are acutally have released the entire punky bruster series , and a few of the great 80s seris inculdeing the facts of life . i love that show so much

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... when? I keep seeing new releases by them all the time. If you have any info, I'd like to hear it. It's just a lot of the stuff they have now they have to offer directly on their site. Not burn on demands, of course... but actual retail quality DVD's they have trouble trying to sell at retail behind the countless reality TV shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah... when? I keep seeing new releases by them all the time. If you have any info, I'd like to hear it. It's just a lot of the stuff they have now they have to offer directly on their site. Not burn on demands, of course... but actual retail quality DVD's they have trouble trying to sell at retail behind the countless reality TV shows.
I thought somebody mentioned it on this forum, saying both Sony Wonder and Shout were being discontinued. Or maybe I misread what I read. Or maybe it was a game of "telephone". I can't remember what thread I thought I saw it in.

If Warner Home Video currently isn't interested in releasing classic Sesame Street DVDs then I hope that the next time such a big release occurs (whether it's for the 45th or 50th anniversary, or as soon as Warner's license expires, or sooner) I hope they don't give us much double-dipping, unless it's a release of full episodes or a special that featured inserts. If we get a special DVD for the next anniversary I hope the only rereleased segments are what's neccessary to rerelease. I know that hoping won't neccessarily get us what we want (otherwise we'd get one tomorrow :smile:).

Hmmm, if Warner only really cares about superheroes, maybe they'll give us a Super Grover release. Elmo did appear in some of those sketches.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I thought somebody mentioned it on this forum, saying both Sony Wonder and Shout were being discontinued. Or maybe I misread what I read. Or maybe it was a game of "telephone". I can't remember what thread I thought I saw it in.

If Warner Home Video currently isn't interested in releasing classic Sesame Street DVDs then I hope that the next time such a big release occurs (whether it's for the 45th or 50th anniversary, or as soon as Warner's license expires, or sooner) I hope they don't give us much double-dipping, unless it's a release of full episodes or a special that featured inserts. If we get a special DVD for the next anniversary I hope the only rereleased segments are what's neccessary to rerelease. I know that hoping won't neccessarily get us what we want (otherwise we'd get one tomorrow :smile:).

Hmmm, if Warner only really cares about superheroes, maybe they'll give us a Super Grover release. Elmo did appear in some of those sketches.
I thought that , warner had a while before the Lincenise expires , i hope that is true , i like the points made here yes we do not need double dipping and i hope that they release something with full eposides , i would love to see season sets actually i know that would be a lot of money to put out , to buy all of those , for those fans who want to collect , incuding my self , but it would be so worlth it for those who really want , them .

I really hope that warner really not only care about surper heros and cartoons and will do a good job with sesme street , i think only time will tell , i hope that the poeple that would wright or e-mail reqests to warner about SS releses that they would listen to the comments .

That would be cool if they could do a collection of surper grover dvds that would be so cool .

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good... I thought you had some insider information that we didn't know. After all, Shout's releasing the Transformers and G.I. Joe DVD's... if something happened with those, I'm sure we would have heard something REALLY big by now about that. Only Sony Wonder was discontinued, and that was years ago... heck, Shout wasn't even out of the gate when Sony Wonder was discontinued (or was it?)

Theirs... their super heroes. Their DC line. Seems every couple months we get a new DTV movie based on one of their characters. That's basically where the animation studio does its work now... Not that they aren't good (I've only seen Gotham Knight) but give us SOMETHING. At least release How I Spent my Summer Vacation or Wakko's Wish on DVD! Cheaper than finishing off both series.