Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope we get some rarer 1980's ones on this set. All the MNF skits we've seen were all from the 70's.
Me too! Since around the time of Old School Vol. 2 I've noticed that none of the 1980s News segments have been released commercially. The closest we've gotten to a 1980s segment on DVD is "Foot Snuggies" from the 1979-1980 season, depending on whether you consider that part of the 1970s or 1980s.

I expect all of the Newsflash segments to be story segments, since this is themed around stories. I don't expect any Don Music or Dr. Nobel Price. It won't surprise me if one of the "Three Little Pigs" newsflash segments are included.

Is it just me or does Sesame Workshop seem to be avoiding the use of the term "Sesame Street News" in print form? The "Old School" and 40th anniversary DVDs list them as "Kermit News", and the cover refers to them as "Muppet News Flash" (c'mon, SW, that's the titel of the news segments from The Muppet Show, geez....). Sesamestreet.org refers to them as either "Kermit News" or "News" (though some of them- Alice in Wonderland, George Washington's Father, all the Don Music sketches - don't have a prefix). I think the Sesame Street Hulu channel also uses the term Muppet News Flash on some of the sketch titles (though "Kermit News" is also used).

Here's hoping that the majority of future Sesame Street DVD releases from Warner Home Video (and beyond) are like this. C is for Cookie Monster was also a great release, and Iron Monster (despite having no classic content) looks like a good release (I haven't checked that one out yet).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know I wonder if the "Newsflash" segments will be released with the correct title cards or if all will be presented with the same title card.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next Sesame Street DVD after Silly Storytime has already been announced: Elmo's World: Penguins and Animal Friends, which will include the penguins, horses, and frogs episode. So we'll be getting two Sesame Street DVDs ina row featuring content with Kermit the Frog (okay, so we also did last july when ABCs with Elmo and 20 and Still Counting were released).

I was hoping that the release following Silly Storytime would be something more like Silly Storytime, featuring a good number of classic clips (either as bonuses or part of the main program), but I am glad that the "Frogs" episode will finally be released on DVD (I didn't have any doubt it would, but we only had one Elmo's World DVD last year and it seems they've stopped making new EW episodes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
this must be what Sesame Workshop Associate Design Director of Special Projects Louis Mitchell talked about on "The Muppet Cast".
I hadn't listened to The MuppetCast much in a long time, and it seems there haven't been threads for new episodes in a long time... But I am surprised that this news hadn't been discussed by fans sooner. I mean, it was mentioned Kermit would be on the cover of a Sesame DVD, and it wasn't at least mentioned in this thread earlier?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I assumed he was talking about the 20 Years DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Listening to that podcast episode, it sounded like Louis Mitchell said he worked on the back of the DVD package in addition to the cover. But I thought all the images on the back covers were still images, unless he meant selecting stills to use.

I wonder how complete the listing at Muppet Wiki is. It lists three epsiodes and one skit as part of the main program. It seems to me like most Sesame Street DVDs to feature street stories have more than one skit in the main program.

Also, considering how important it was to Louis Mitchell to include a new photo of Kermit for the cover, I wonder if he knew that the Newsflash segments are included as bonus features as opposed to the main program.

Finally, I think this would be a good selection of Newsflash segments for the DVD:
  • Pinnocchio
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Little Red Riding Hood (with Cookie Monster)
  • Cinderella gets ready for the ball

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
I think the newsflash segments on the Silly Storytime would be Rapunzel, Jack & the Beanstalk, Sleeping Beauty and Going to Grandma's House.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think the newsflash segments on the Silly Storytime would be Rapunzel, Jack & the Beanstalk, Sleeping Beauty and Going to Grandma's House.
Assuming you didn't miswrite "should" as "would", are you basing this on the stories represented in the main program? I did think of that myself, before making that wishlist. And if it does have a "Sleeping Beauty" newsflash, I hope it's the one that hasn't been released on DVD yet.

Man, febuary 1 can't get here fast enough. If Sesame Workshop posts a trailer online, I hope it includes at least oen clip from one of the featured newsflashes.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering the trouble it took to get Kermit on the Silly Storytime DVD (they wanted him on the cover because it has so many Newsflash segments, and they didn't have a good enough Kermit photo of the quality being used on current DVDs), I wonder what would happen if a simialr case came up for a character whose puppet no longer exists. I know that the majority of retired old school characters are anything muppets and their anything muppet patterns can just be used to make new ones. But what if Sesame Workshop were to make yet another environmentally-themed release, only this time including a lot of Bruno clips, and they wanted to put Bruno on the cover in the same way as Kermit is in Silly Storytime? I don't know what other old school non-AM characters no longer exists, but I also can't help but wonder what'd happen if they were to make a science fiction-themed release and include some bonus Sam the Robot segments, or an opera-themed release and include a lot of Placido Flamingo. Not sure if those two need to be rebuilt (I assume Sam would).

I've also been thinking about what I think would make a good release schedule for next years DVDs, based on what Warner Home Video did this year (one release per month).

We already know that Iron Monster will get a wide release in January, Silly Storytime comes out in febuary, and the new Elmo's World DVD comes out in march. Considering that, if I was in charge of the releases but had to balance the releases for us and for the show's target audience I think I'd have the release schedule look like this:
April - either another "Preschool is Cool!" DVD (though I wonder how many more preschool subjects there are that would translate well to a Sesame Street DVD), an "Abby's Flyign Fairy School" release (I'll be surprised if we don't get such a release within a few years, unless the segments are dropped from the show soon), or a second volume of Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures.
May - A character spotlight video (my choice would be The Count or Oscar... or someone as obscure as Roosevelt Franklin).
June - something aimed directly at the Old School-ers. Either Old School Vol. 3, a 1970s inserts collection, a complete "Monsterpiece Theater" set, or an animation/film release.
July - see what I'd put in April, though a different choice from whatever were picked.
August - either a Super Grover 2.0 release (with bonus classic Super Grover clips) or a Murray Has a Little Lamb release.
September - either a music-themed release, a DVD compiling recent street scenes, or another "Play with me Sesame" release.
October - A DVD themed around monster inserts, past and present, featuring all of the major monsters, and maybe also more obscure monsters like Deena and Pearl.
November or December: A Kermit-themed release, to coincide with the release of the new Muppets movie. Not sure if Warner Home Video would want to release a Sesame Street DVD that more-or-less promotes a Disney movie, and it seems rare for there to be Sesame Street DVDs made for the sake of cashing in on the success of a movie (otherwise I think we'd have gotten a "Best of The Count" DVD when one of the Twilight movies came out). But still, I think a Kermit-themed release should happen around then, whether it be a DVD release of The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street, a new character spotlight DVD, or a "Best of Sesame Street News"/"Chronological Sesame Street News"-type release.

A release schedule like that sounds a bit fair. No, I do not know anything you don't about upcoming DVD releases, and if anything like that happens it's a coincidence that I predicted anything (unless somebody at WHV or SW were to secretely read this thread and come out with such releases, which I would not be against).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki now has a cover image of the new Elmo's World DVD, and the title is actually "Penguins and Animal Friends".