"Back to Sesame's Future" - Another Lamefic from D'Snowth

Convincing John

Reaction score
Come on fanfiction readers/authors, quit being so cliquish! Give those who don't crank out umpteen elaborate stories at a time a chance too, huh?
Hey, Snowth.

I just had a chance to read your story and I'm enjoying all the details you have so far, especially about the 1969 street being even grittier than the present day street. The nameless monster Cookie meets was perfect.

Finally! Dr. Price makes something that works decent and isn't completely useless! Good use of the character.

I wonder what other characters Big Bird, Cookie, Ernie and Bert will encounter. You might want to watch some old Sesame Street clips on Youtube for ideas. Beautiful Day Monster was all over the street back then. I wrote an article about him on the Muppet Mindset if you want to need references. Fuzzyface (pre-Grover) was seen often, too. Fred the Dragon, Guy Smiley when he was still known as Sonny Friendly, Professor Hastings, there's a bunch of characters they could meet. Since they're in 1969, don't forget the AM hippies.

Kermit: "When you have hair all over your face, it's called a...uh...what's it called?"
Hippie: "A beard."
Kermit: "Yeah, it's called a beer!"
Hippie: "No no no no! A beard!"
Kermit: "Oh! A beard!"

There was even "Baby Monster" (the purple one with the horn). Elmo was also referred to as "Baby Monster". Though they're not the same character, you could think of a way to link them somehow. Maybe "Baby Monster" is Elmo's great grandpa or something. (I even had Wontkins be Telly's great uncle in an unfinished story of mine).

Now here's a thought...Kermit was there, too. Also, if you wanted, you could put Rowlf in there. The new characters could see the old animated clips and make a comment. Don't forget the klutzy baker! You could even have fun with that old school "Children's Television Workshop" sign in the credits and the funky chimes music.

You mentioned the "head-full-of-hair" Gordon. You mean Matt Robinson, right? I thought so, since 1969 Big Bird is on the street. Too bad Dr. Price didn't send them back just a little further. They could have asked the Mystery Gordon from the test pilot what his real name was! lol.

I know how frustrating it is with fan-fics sometimes. When I wrote "The Best Neighbor", there were over 3,000 views, but the responses were from the same 4 or 5 people. It didn't really matter to me, though. I had a story to tell and I had fun with it. Just keep writing and tell the story you want to tell.

Convincing John

ISNorden

Reaction score
The "beer/beard" misunderstanding from Kermit's hair lecture is priceless, Convincing John; it ought to turn up somewhere, since early Sesame Street was full of those little jokes for parents watching along with the kids. I could just imagine some AM hippie mistakenly getting arrested by an AM cop for public drunkenness, after Kermit calls from the payphone in Hooper's Store: "This crazy guy with a beard is bothering the customers..." :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gee, the pic I did for the story's been getting lots of comments and favorites on deviantART... so what's so bad about the actual fic that nobody's reading it? Oh yeah, I forgot... I ain't part of the fanfic clique here, and if you're not a part of the clique, your work goes un-noticed.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Gee, the pic I did for the story's been getting lots of comments and favorites on deviantART... so what's so bad about the actual fic that nobody's reading it? Oh yeah, I forgot... I ain't part of the fanfic clique here, and if you're not a part of the clique, your work goes un-noticed.
Hi there,

I'm not part of any "fanfic clique" that I know of, but still I wrote "The Best Neighbor" simply because I had a story to tell and I had fun writing it. If you look at the story, it has a lot of views, but I only had about 3 people who consistently replied.

Have you seen "Wembley's Flight"? At first Wembley wants to fly just to impress the other Fraggles and show off. later, he finds a good reason to fly. "Just...to fly. Just to feel what it feels like."

That's why I wrote "The Best Neighbor". Just to write it. it may feel like you're playing to an empty house, but as long as there are views in the thread, there are seats filled in the audience you are playing to.

I thought about this when I wrote this little interlude scene in "The Best Neighbor":

The crescent moon overhead shone down on the city. Its light bathed an inner city street, glinting on the darkened windows. The natural moonlight mixed with the street light on the corner and reflected off a pair of sunglasses angled slightly upwards.

Zoot lounged on the upper landing of the fire escape. Hoots perched on the handrail. One of them played a slow, jazzy tune. The second one played it back, improvising here and there. Then both musicians played together. They played to an empty house (or an empty street, rather) but it didn't really matter. What mattered was playing. Wordlessly, the two of them let their music flow into the empty night. The tunes mingled with the distant traffic sounds and the occasional distant dog bark. Everyone was asleep, yet the music made its way around the edges of their dreams. It blended with the noises of the night, harmonizing briefly with the pitch of the crickets, the tone of a test pattern from a TV left on, and used staccato notes to compliment the garbling snore only an eight foot yellow bird could make.

Zoot and Hoots came to the end of their tune and glanced upwards. The moon seemed to be listening, too. A low B flat ended the song as the moon was obscured by a cloud.
For Zoot and Hoots, what mattered was playing the gig. Same for me when I write.

I really like your story myself and I wish you'd write more. Don't worry about being part of any fanfic clique. Just play the gig, man.:cool:

Convincing John

D'Snowth

Reaction score
but as long as there are views in the thread, there are seats filled in the audience you are playing to. Don't worry about being part of any fanfic clique. Just play the gig, man.:cool:

Convincing John
I'm not actually trying to be a part of the clique, I'm just expressing how it seems like if you're NOT a part of the clique, your stories tend to be unsuccessful.

I get what you're saying, but comments/reviews are important too, because that's how you really know how your story's doing when people share their thoughts.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Okay, I guess I misunderstood you. I get your point, too. Well, you have my comments from before and I look forward to more story when you decide to post it.

I also thought of something else. I've read a fair amount of fan fiction here om MC...and I think you're breaking new ground here (which is always fun). I think you're the first to feature Dr. Price in a more prominent role. (Plus he actually made something that worked right!) Kind of reminds me of what Emmet Brown said in the first Back to the Future film. "I finally made something that works!" Neat parallel between the two scientists.

Convincing John

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, you have to think -- HOW would they end up back in 1969? The only logical explanation would be a time machine... and who would have a time machine? POSSIBLY Dr. Nobel Price.

And I didn't even think about that parallel until you pointed it out... and yes, the machine did work, inspite the miscalculation, thanks for pointing that out. :smile:

Well I see this thread's been turned into a hot topic... not sure how much that's going to help, though.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
So is there a part 3 coming? This is going pretty good so far. And yes, having the 2010 Sesame Street gang run into Mr. Hooper in 1969 would be awesome! I definitely think Fuzzyface (aka early Grover), Baby Monster, Fred the Dragon, Beautiful Day Monster and all the other monsters that were allowed to roam on Sesame Street back in the day make an appearance. And I'd love to see Kermit in there too.:smile:
And what about running into the orange Oscar? That would be interesting. And Gordon would certainly look different with all that hair- and Susan's so much younger. And Bob definitely is too. It'd be pretty neat to see Rowlf and Little Bird in there too. There's all kinds of neat ideas that can be done with this one.
You could even play around with the fact that there's no counterparts for some characters- like Zoe, Rosita, Abby and Elmo, etc.
Explore away!:smirk: (um, that smiley was chosen for Gobo's explorer role, not to be smirking. lol)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So is there a part 3 coming?
No, since hardly anyone's been reading it, and because I no longer have any interest in continuing the story otherwise.
And yes, having the 2010 Sesame Street gang run into Mr. Hooper in 1969 would be awesome!
It would be cool, there could even be an intiment little moment there for Big Bird since he was especially close to Mr. Looper... but again, thinking about how this would play out as an actual special, I don't think they could find anyone to portray Mr. Hooper quite like Will Lee.
And what about running into the orange Oscar? That would be interesting.
Yes, there was going to be some scenes involving the original orange Oscar... though unfortunately, I didn't plan on having modern-day green Oscar and original orange Oscar cross paths.
And Gordon would certainly look different with all that hair- and Susan's so much younger. And Bob definitely is too.
Gordon especially, since he's already been played by multiple actors, I think it would be fairly easier to find someone to mimic Matt Robinson's original Gordon... matter of fact, I had planned on having the modern-day Muppets be surprised to see Gordon having so much hair, while the original Muppets being accidentally launched into our modern world be shocked that Gordon's bald.[/QUOTE]

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Don't mind me - just bumping this thread to make sure it's not forgotten..