New Henson GSN show: Late Night Liars

JJandJanice

Reaction score
its the words of Kermit from Muppets take Manhattan its missing something , hopefully they find it soon
I agree, don't know what that "missing something" is, but there is something.

I got my little bro to like the show though, which I was surpised about.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I agree, don't know what that "missing something" is, but there is something.
Maybe it's that they're trying to hard to be filthy... and without cause for filth.

Or maybe it's that all Henson productions have lost that "affectionate anarchy" that Frank Oz loved so much. There doesn't seem to be any love here. Just cheesy, cynical parodies of popular stars and the "typical" game show panelists.

Dearth

Reaction score
Still waters run deep.
I didn't catch the Rivers/Oceans connection at first, but I do remember chuckling the first time I saw the name "William Mummy" in print, because it reminded me of Billy Mumy.

Dearth

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Maybe it's that they're trying to hard to be filthy... and without cause for filth.

Or maybe it's that all Henson productions have lost that "affectionate anarchy" that Frank Oz loved so much. There doesn't seem to be any love here. Just cheesy, cynical parodies of popular stars and the "typical" game show panelists.
Probably both, :smile:.

I don't mean the show being a bit "filthy" but I do agree that it seems like their trying to get kind of "cheap laughs" though the filth, reminds me of Sarah Silverman's comedy and I'm not a fan of hers, :sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw the clip and I have to admit, I like what they're TRYING to do, not so much how they're doing it. It has the potential to be a clever satire of the old school Match Game and Hollywood Squares celeb panel shows, with obvious parodies of Joan Rivers and Paul Lynde to boot. Seems that adult always has to equal gutter humor (i.e. jokes third graders tell because they finally learned all the swears), and it goes to prove a point... that it's always funnier and more clever when you work around mentioning it so it slides under the radar than it does just saying it out in the open with all that freedom.

And somehow, if they're going for an old school vibe, then Joan Rivers and Paul Lynde shouldn't be the only ones they're referencing. The obvious Paris Hilton and Simon Cowell ones come off as too now to work in the clear parody sense they have here. I mean, a Charlie Weaver type... a Wally Cox type. Something like that.

And above all, the fact that it ISN'T improv. Sure, the style they're going for IS scripted (remember that Simpsons episode where Homer is on one of those shows and says "which one am I supposed to read? Answers or Jokes?") but they SHOULD go off on improv, which MAKES Puppet Up!

All and all, I'm just shocked the JHC actually HAS a project they talked about get off the ground. Too Bad it wasn't SUDS or Happy Time Murder Film, though.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I just watched the latest episode and it was hilarious! I laughed out loud when Mickey said, "What the f*** is that supposed to mean?" What's interesting about this episode is that it was shown in widescreen. So maybe future episodes will be shown in widescreen from now on.

ploobis

Reaction score
I loved this week's show. I find myself playing along with show too. I like to guess who's the liar.

Also, I hope this doesn't sound weird but I'm starting to find Cashmere Ramada attractive.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
All and all, I'm just shocked the JHC actually HAS a project they talked about get off the ground. Too Bad it wasn't SUDS or Happy Time Murder Film, though.
There's a Brian Henson interview (somewhere) from earlier this year where he stated they're still working on Happy Time Murders.