We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I saw the picture in Entertainment Weekly. I think he needs a nose, and maybe re-do the character so he looks less like he belongs on Sesame Street. I was watching Muppet Treasure Island the other day, and while the opening credits were rolling, I just thought about seeing next year's Muppet movie and I kinda got really excited until I thought about how they've pretty much downsized their opening credits since MTI. Even their openings have gotten cornier, doesn't matter how big of a Muppet fan you are either cuz it's true. Also, EW mentions the Muppets were semi-retired, yet I seem to remember a number of fans here FOR YEARS saying "The Muppets Are Back!" All I have to say is, I'm glad I have EW to back my view of how they're viewed outside of this Muppet World.

I know they have good actors and ideas for this but considering the poor quality of the writing and production, not to mention Kat's Corner, MWoW, and over half of the youtube videos not having any real resonance. I thought it was funny also, that, after a couple youtube videos surfaced following the really awesome Queen video, someone (can't remember who) said that the ones following it were already in the can, and that they'll probably do really great ones later on down. Well guess what? The videos are over.

Also... Gonzo and Sam can stay as they are, but someone PLEASE remodel Animal before you start shooting... he seriously looks like a rabid dog. He looks terrible. Also... that side shot of Piggy made her look like one of the disgusting chicks from Jersey Shore.
They've already started shooting so Walter will probably look somewhat like the image in Entertainment Weekly. The Muppets featured in the magazine spreads are posers, not production puppets, so I don't think they're an accurate judge of the production models. I hope some of the designs improve a little bit too (especially Miss Piggy), but none of them are awful in the least.

There was only one film following Muppet Treasure Island and that was Muppets From Space - a film that had a huge group opening sequence with loads of Muppety sight gags so you must be referencing the television projects, not the movies.

The Muppets did several YouTube videos and music bits following the Webby winning Queen video and all were well-received even though the first one was their biggest hit.

This is the big Muppet project. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won’t. The idea sounds great and I want to like it. It's been a hard road for the Muppets. They weren't around as much, but they never really left either. For a time they never seemed to go anywhere, but this film plans to remedy that.

I can be fan-critical about particular elements, but I always choose to be pragmatic and hopeful because to me that’s what the Muppets are all about. Hope in the face of adversity. They stared down Doc Hopper, they took down Nicky Holiday’s crew, they made it on Broadway, they reignited Scrooge’s heart, and they were victorious over Long John Silver so I’m rooting for them this time too. Whatever their flaws, I am always in the Muppets’ corner. The Muppets then, the Muppets now and the Muppets we’ll see next year. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Anyone else perplexed by the Christmas release date? While it's when oscar baiting weepers come out, it's also a bit of an anomaly...as even though holiday themed family films come out in late November and early December, there's still a holiday connotation with the Dec 25th release date.

Doesn't this feel like a summer comedy, perhaps a July or August type of release? MFS began filming around this time and came out in time in 1998 for summer 1999.

I just don't get a "late december" feel about this project at all, and am curious what the strategy is with Disney.

That's nonsense. Its a shame that there is still that perception around.

The Muppet Show characters have always had an adult sense of humor, and are intended for a broad audience, not just kids.

All the more reason why I'm very glad that Kermit does not appear on Sesame Street anymore. There needs to be a distinction between the two sets of characters, and having Kermit appear on both Sesame Street and Muppet Show material just confuses the issue and blurs things too much.
Yeah in the 70's and 80's there was a lot of blurring, as Sesame and Muppet characters crossed over a lot.

Notice that people, including myself, balk at the idea of the "Muppets needing to be edgy", as allegedly the Weinstein's requested of the Fraggle Rock script. But I feel the Muppets have long been edgy without dipping into the gutter.
To me edgy is humor that is smart and works on dual or multiple layers(like when you see a film in the present that you grew up with, and realize a whole other layer of socio-political, existential or adult themes presented) Of course humor is very subjective, but I personally find a lot of the material on Muppets.com(for instance) works on multiple levels.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Anyone else perplexed by the Christmas release date? I just don't get a "late december" feel about this project at all, and am curious what the strategy is with Disney.
It seems summery to me too, but the Muppets have always done well with all things Christmas. Maybe that's it. They might gain that bump the Chipmunks Movie did a few Christmasses ago instead of getting lost in a summer of competitive eyecandy.

beaker

Reaction score
It seems summery to me too, but the Muppets have always done well with all things Christmas. Maybe that's it. They might gain that bump the Chipmunks Movie did a few Christmasses ago instead of getting lost in a summer of competitive eyecandy.
Yeah a lot of films intentionally opt out of the summer shuffle for December(like Avatar) The film sounds like it has all the ingredients for a summer release, but summer is so aggressive and take no prisoners...and then films a lot of times relegated to August often do not fair very well(like say, Scott Pilgrim) Im sure they know what they're doing though, and so far we really have no real grasp on what the scope or feel of the movie will be. I know Im ready to be blown away the more gets revealed in time.

I think Disney releasing Tron in mid December is perfect, and its been an amazing two year trajectory of buzz and viral marketing towards it...so they have a whole year to really hype it up. Coincidentally, Christmas day has since the late 80's(starting with MFC) been the day where I always have a Muppet movie/special marathon with family.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of films intentionally opt out of the summer shuffle for December(like Avatar) The film sounds like it has all the ingredients for a summer release, but summer is so aggressive and take no prisoners...and then films a lot of times relegated to August often do not fair very well(like say, Scott Pilgrim) Im sure they know what they're doing though, and so far we really have no real grasp on what the scope or feel of the movie will be. I know Im ready to be blown away the more gets revealed in time.

I think Disney releasing Tron in mid December is perfect, and its been an amazing two year trajectory of buzz and viral marketing towards it...so they have a whole year to really hype it up. Coincidentally, Christmas day has since the late 80's(starting with MFC) been the day where I always have a Muppet movie/special marathon with family.
Christmas is on a Sunday next year, so it could come out the Friday before and rake in big weekend business when families are all together wanting to see a film appropriate and enjoyable for all ages. It could just work! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else perplexed by the Christmas release date? While it's when oscar baiting weepers come out, it's also a bit of an anomaly...as even though holiday themed family films come out in late November and early December, there's still a holiday connotation with the Dec 25th release date.

Doesn't this feel like a summer comedy, perhaps a July or August type of release? MFS began filming around this time and came out in time in 1998 for summer 1999.

I just don't get a "late december" feel about this project at all, and am curious what the strategy is with Disney.

There's always a family flick around Christmas. Other than the fact that everything else is closed and a LOT of people who don't celebrate Christmas have to go to the movies that day. Plus, next summer seems aggressive. And as everyone knows, the summer season starts in April and ends in June, now... :rolleyes: and if this were to be in August (though, it would have to be August 2012 or something, since I don't think it will be finished in post production for some time) all the kids are going back to school (really... in AUGUST!) and people are so busy school shopping (in July now) that they don't bother... and if any movies actually go seen at all, they're the blockbusters at dollar cinemas. The fact that that horrid Smurfs film will be released in August is one of many signs that Sony doesn't want to do the project, but CLEARLY wants the easy nostalgia cash grab. And Belgium will HATE us for it.

Seems like Christmas may just be the perfect time for this movie.

Mupp

Reaction score
The fact that that horrid Smurfs film will be released in August is one of many signs that Sony doesn't want to do the project, but CLEARLY wants the easy nostalgia cash grab. And Belgium will HATE us for it.
Indeed.

That film should NEVER have been made, it looks like a piece of...smurf.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A good Smurf film can and SHOULD be made. For Europeans, by Europeans. I recall the 1970's movie we got translated "Smurfs and the Magic Flute" being pretty good, though the fact they used non-union outside voice actors confused the heck out of me. There are several problems with that movie, mostly the fact Sony bought the rights after Paramount stopped production of their completely CGI film (which was to have taken place in the ACTUAL Smurf Medieval setting) and then, after projecting the release date said "CRAP! We have to write this thing." So we basically got a hack plot ripped right out of the Fat Albert movie (while, while very flawed, was actually pretty good). I don't like the idea of bringing any characters into "Our" world. That never seems to go right. That was the biggest problem with Bullwinkle's film. That and Mary Sue.

The Smurfs have enough magic and mayhem with their whimsical setting (Giants, wizards, Mother Nature and Father Time) without having to say "things we take for granted look funny in the light of a 1960's comic book we know little about." It seems they care about a nostalgic cash grab from the 80's cartoon and not the legacy of a beloved European comic book.

TinTin however... I can't wait to see that. Too bad we never get any Asterix or Lucky Luke stuff over here.

beaker

Reaction score
There's always a family flick around Christmas. Other than the fact that everything else is closed and a LOT of people who don't celebrate Christmas have to go to the movies that day. Plus, next summer seems aggressive. And as everyone knows, the summer season starts in April and ends in June, now... :rolleyes: and if this were to be in August (though, it would have to be August 2012 or something, since I don't think it will be finished in post production for some time) all the kids are going back to school (really... in AUGUST!) and people are so busy school shopping (in July now) that they don't bother... and if any movies actually go seen at all, they're the blockbusters at dollar cinemas. The fact that that horrid Smurfs film will be released in August is one of many signs that Sony doesn't want to do the project, but CLEARLY wants the easy nostalgia cash grab. And Belgium will HATE us for it.

Seems like Christmas may just be the perfect time for this movie.
I think you and Frogboy are right(as he also expressed the good targeting of that date) My goodness, when I think of all the clunkers shelved off in August...tumbleweed city!

I remember this year, from July to August we had a flurry of films from Prince of Persia to Avatar(err I mean "The Last Airbender") to Clash of the Titans to Robin Hood that I never had any interest in. You're right, that August would be a death knell and bad sign. December is a very time honored respectable time to release.

Mupp

Reaction score
A good Smurf film can and SHOULD be made. For Europeans, by Europeans. I recall the 1970's movie we got translated "Smurfs and the Magic Flute" being pretty good, though the fact they used non-union outside voice actors confused the heck out of me. There are several problems with that movie, mostly the fact Sony bought the rights after Paramount stopped production of their completely CGI film (which was to have taken place in the ACTUAL Smurf Medieval setting) and then, after projecting the release date said "CRAP! We have to write this thing." So we basically got a hack plot ripped right out of the Fat Albert movie (while, while very flawed, was actually pretty good). I don't like the idea of bringing any characters into "Our" world. That never seems to go right. That was the biggest problem with Bullwinkle's film. That and Mary Sue.
Agreed.