Do You Know Muppet Fans In Real Life?

Puckrox

Reaction score
I've (happily) realized I have one friend who's almost on the same level as me. I made some obscure reference to the Muppet movies or TMS, and then I turned to my friend to explain it and simply said, "No worries, I get it." So, although she's not as fanatic as I (and the rest of you), she definitely knows her stuff and she also understands my immense love of the Muppets. Huzzah!

ilovemusic

Reaction score
I know a boy of 11 years old who can't stop talking about the muppets, just like me, we're kinda friends now.

Reaction score
Same where I live, no real enthusiasts. At least everyone who knows me, knows of my love for the muppets. My friends and family "scout" for me. They're always on the lookout for muppet stuff - usually they'll buy it for me or give me a detailed report on where to buy it. Thats good enough for me!

beaker

Reaction score
If anyone is in the NYC area at the end of the month, you should go to ToughPig's Muppet Vault event! I think it's the closest thing to a fan meet up there will ever be IRL.
Perhaps on the East Coast...I know a lot of us fans are going to try and get a big fan gathering going for Disneyland and or D23 later this summer if an official one isnt made

beaker

Reaction score
Just think about this folks...

Right now, as hardcore Muppet/Henson fans, we are kind of where the Star Wars fan community was in 1994-1995. I was a huuuge SW fan around then, but we knew something big was around the corner...something that would create a distinct line between what had become kind of a niche underground(yes, Star Wars fandom and love was a bit underground around 1994) and then the massive massive fan explosion around 1997-1999 and beyond.

Though, the only difference is that deep down I think most people are Muppet fans(even if they dont know it)

Wear a Muppet shirt, hat, etc in public, and see how long it is before people passing by start smiling, their eyes lighting up or even coming up and giving you compliments saying how much they love/miss the muppets.

So just think...we're at this point where its still underground...our secret. As later this year with the arrival of Disney's MAIN holiday tentpole(which just happens to be The Muppets), it's going to be INSANE with the promotion and hype

ilovemusic

Reaction score
Wear a Muppet shirt, hat, etc in public, and see how long it is before people passing by start smiling, their eyes lighting up or even coming up and giving you compliments saying how much they love/miss the muppets.
Wow. If I should do that on my school they won't let me in at all!

Kiki

Reaction score
I don't really know any muppet fans in real life, actually. I go to an all-girls' school, which is all well and good, but muppet fans aren't really the kind of people you encounter all the time. I don't know a lot of people who are fanatics as such, but when I invite mates over they're more than happy to watch muppet movies, and they enjoy them (got one of my friends into Muppet Treasure Island, she adores it). Like, I don't /force/ them to watch muppety stuff. x33 But they genuinely want to watch them, generally for nostelgic purposes. The closest person I can think of is my brother, who knows a fair bit about muppets as it is but obviously knows a lot more than the average person because he gains a lot of knowledge regarding performers and random trivia from me. x3 About five years ago, I also met a young girl (in her early 20s?) who owned a local shop that consisted of music, DVDs and figurines (GREAT shop, but closed down sadly shortly after it opened, wasn't the greatest shop to put in that specific area) and she knew Kynan from Toughpigs (which I knew of at the time- small world!) and she knew a fair bit about the muppets. Other than that, I know a few adults who are fairly knowledgable on the muppets, but Im not so sure if they'd consider themselves 'fans'. I know a lot of people who wear muppet tops, but I can't help but think that they're not very passionate about muppetnessossity (bad, I know, such a typical muppet fan thing to think), but I try to give some the benefit of the doubt, because I can imagine in the area that I live in, which is vibrant in culture and where /a lot/ of pop-culture nerds inhabit, that muppet fans would be out there somewhere.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've watched Muppets stuff with my friends several times and we always had fun, it's a very nostalgic trip for us, hehe. I even have a friend from Europe who remembers watching Muppet Babies! : D

Though I did have one friend who saw my copy of Street Gang and jokingly said, "What are you, 12?" Lol

Aaron

Reaction score
I've watched Muppets stuff with my friends several times and we always had fun, it's a very nostalgic trip for us, hehe. I even have a friend from Europe who remembers watching Muppet Babies! : D

Though I did have one friend who saw my copy of Street Gang and jokingly said, "What are you, 12?" Lol
Street Gang would be a tough read for a 12 year old. :smile: