2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Mupp

Reaction score
Hmm... if Disney got the Fraggles too, it would now be "Fraggles Rock."
To be perfectly honest, I really don't get that connection.

How do you get the idea of "Fraggles Rock" from the synopsis of this Muppet film?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

How do you get the idea of "Fraggles Rock" from the synopsis of this Muppet film?
The joke is refrencing Disney's branding the plural of "Muppets" rather than the singular "Muppet" in titles as it has been for decades. Disney has changed the title of this film to "The Muppets Movie" :embarrassed:

Oscarfan

Reaction score

It's a joke. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the title is necessarily permanent.
I agree. I kind of think they'll go with something else. I'm partial to "The Muppets Strike Back!" or something like that, but more original. The one thing I wouldn't want it called is "The Great Muppet Comeback" because that could be seen as presumptuous. But as long as they're using the plural form of Muppets it would be great for them to make it sound more like "The Muppets Take Manhattan" and less like "The Muppets Treasure Island" or "The Great Muppets Caper". :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
A 2 hour kids movie is in a word impossible! 90 is the industry standard... sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less... but there is pressure that keeps movies 90 minutes long, and I bet that's on the end of the theaters and cinema chains to get as many showings of multiple blockbusters as possible. There's less pressure for adult movies to follow that (as more action based films get the full 2 sometimes more), but other than Speed Racer (which is a bad example anyway) and Harry Potter (which is an epic that somehow seems skewed to kids... as is Narnia,... and any film types like that), 90 seems to be the magic number and the unbreakable force field.

I don't see a 2 hour Muppet movie in the cards at all... none of them were.
If your name rhymes with Mames Mameron, Weter Wackson or Nack Nyder you can have a 4 hour movie in theaters and people will flock in droves to see it.

beaker

Reaction score
Have they done enough to re-introduce (or introduce for the first time) kids to the Muppets .. other than web stuff? I guess it could be argued that seeing this is their introduction, and seeing the "Telethon" is a clever teaser to launch a new TMS TV show. But kids generally dictate what their families go to watch at the movies, and why would they choose this over something they already know like Madagascar? Segal is there for the adult fans (but then are adults going to go on their own to a Muppet movie .. other than "us") but i'd expect Disney like the look of the footage coming back, think once kids see it they will want to buy into a lot of future Muppet stuff and are going to put a heck of a lot of marketing into this movie and I would guess have a lot of child friendly stars as the "secret cameos". It still would have been nice for them to have done more though. That cancelled Halloween special would have been a great help!
Disney has 11 months to re-introduce the public at large to the Muppets; and Im sure they will pull all the stops out and surprise us in how they plan to go about that. I mean, who on planet earth besides a few film nerds remembered Tron? And now they've made that their main action film of the year. I can only begin to wonder what the Diz has in store...Im sure an insane flurry of talk show appearances is only one small portion of it....as I suspect they're going to go to places and channels we can't even imagine now to market this thing. Im looking forward to garganuan sized advertising on the sides of buildings and in time square, and billboards across the country.

muppetperson

Reaction score
The first thing that struck me about the story plot is when it mentioned saving the Muppet "Theatre", because they have been filming at Muppet "Studios",which is run down, and not a Theatre?

Luke

Reaction score
Disney has 11 months to re-introduce the public at large to the Muppets; and Im sure they will pull all the stops out and surprise us in how they plan to go about that. I mean, who on planet earth besides a few film nerds remembered Tron? And now they've made that their main action film of the year. I can only begin to wonder what the Diz has in store...Im sure an insane flurry of talk show appearances is only one small portion of it....as I suspect they're going to go to places and channels we can't even imagine now to market this thing. Im looking forward to garganuan sized advertising on the sides of buildings and in time square, and billboards across the country.
Yeah i think they will have to do something else this year, that we probably don't know about yet, which will be highly visible to kids.

I think the idea this won't be promoted primarily to kids is wishful thinking from some people. It'll be their big FAMILY holiday movie, it's Disney .. of course it will be targeted mainly at kids. But obviously they are trying for the whole "hey remember the Muppets? they're still cool" image to get an adult buzz around the movie what with Segel and I can see that working well for them.

I get the whole "Walter" thing now. It's going to be funny him being the uber Muppet fan and the humans playing off him.

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
The simpler, the better.

The plot reminds me of the Blues Brothers Movie, where they had to re-assemble the band. That was a pretty good movie, eh?

A plot such as that might be just the ticket. The simpler, the better, maybe. More room to play. :smile: