1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by theprawncracker, Dec 9, 2010.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I would actually be shocked if there isn't a reference, if not an actual scene relating to Muppet fan sites/forums/etc. If Walter is a hardcore Muppet fan in 2011, there's no way they could exclude a scene like that. Heck Kermit way back in 2002 referenced Muppet fan websites in VMMCM. I also could definitely see a scene where Walter's room is plastered with Muppet posters, merchandise, ephemera, toys/Palisades figures, etc. Even busting out references or quotes to the films and shows.

So many opportunities for a zillion references/fan service/Muppet related cameos. It sucks Juhl couldnt still be with us to advise the script, and I wish Jim Lewis could be involved. I love Segal's passion, but I just don't know if he *really* knows Muppet canon and writing like a seasoned Muppet writer would(tho I guess that's where the consultation comes in) I'm worried Pepe isn't in it much, as any current fan should know he's one of the main characters. Segal's passion is unprecedented tho, and one might say he is almost single handedly saving the Muppets and bringing them back to the long awaited forefront again.

2. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

wouldn't it be cool, if in the movie, walter was on MC? if only....

3. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I like this plot but I'm hoping that perhaps we'll get something a little more deataled soon. I kind of agree with some of the worries that the plot sounds a little recycled but I'm holding out hope because it's really hard to get a story idea out of a few sentences. In the case of it sounding a bit like VMX, don't forget VMX was a one hour tv special and you can't do as much in one of those as in a full length feature film. Not to mention that a majority of VMX was Kermit's revelations not them trying to save the theatre. So there's more that could be done and accomplished. And as for the fact that the muppets are broken up, if there is a different reason and history behind that decision than in MTM, that could potentially add a different dimension that won't sound repetetive.
    At least that's how I see it.

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That thread was deleted, so I might as well post it here...

That Yogi Movie basically had a "save the X" plot too, so there's always that concern.

5. Gonzo's Hobbit

Maybe, but one thing that I've learned about scriptwriting is that most movies boil down to only a handful of basic plotlines. It's usually the characters and the situations they get themselves into that define the movie.

6. Drtooth

That said, that movie stunk, but NOT as bad as Yo Yogi or Yogi's Space Race. Really, look those up somewhere... they're TERRIBLE! And Yo Yogi was a more jaded attempt at hipping up the character than the film will ever be. Yo Yogi killed the character.

As for the movie, I can't even blame Yogi or Boo-Boo because at least they got them right. Taking the same direction Garfield and Alvin and the Chipmunks did with the human characters, making them useless one dimensional lovable lug authority figures without any authority, and spending half the movie with a totally phoned in phony inorganic relationship with a Mary Sue figure.

Now, if this movie does have a romance between the human characters, it WILL be organic. Forgetting Sarah Marshall proved that.

7. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

How about "The Muppet Reunion"? After all, the plot is about reuniting the Muppets, who have since gone their seperate ways, to save their studio.

Then again, that title might not work either...

8. Gonzo's Hobbit

Yea I do agree with you there DrTooth about the title. Although the problem I have with it is it kinda subconsiously begs the question, "If this is the 'Greatest Muppet Movie Ever'" what then do we have to look forward to in the next one or what is even the point of doing any future movies?"

9. BIGMuppetFan

BIGMuppetFan Member

The Only Disney teen Stars I would like in this Movie are Dylan and Cole Sprouse (AKA Zack and Cody) Don't groan at this, Dylan and Cole are not as popular as most Disney female stars and do have a special fan-base and Cole has been seen in pictures wearing a "The Great Muppet Caper" T-Shirt and Cole Sprouse has said that "The Great Muppet Caper" is one of his Favorite Films

10. Drtooth

I don't want any of them. Here's why.

Other than the obvious fact it would be a huge step backward, tying in Disney employees to this film, I'd liken that to the nonstop NBC TV show promos in VMX (and to some extent LTS). I do not want this to be a project the emphasizes it's a Disney project and to check out other Disney projects (i.e. their dub of Ponyo). Having awkward scenes with any of their tween stars would feel just as out of place and forced as the Scrubs cameo in VMX.

That would weaken the project greatly.

11. JEANYLASER

JEANYLASER Member

Awesome!

12. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Maybe as a promotion, Walter "the world's biggest Muppet fan", will start posting on MC, TP, the Mindset, and call in to the MuppetCast! :sing:

13. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I love this - seems like such a no-brainer but i think you're the first to raise this idea...several months before the movie comes out, Walter should get real involved with the Muppet fandom community - i can also see him posting Youtube video responses to clips the same way Statler & Waldorf did when Muppets Studios started their channel.

14. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Yeah, he lost his temper with Piggy in the park "You wanna walk, then go on walk!" and in MTM when everyone's nagging him about exploding socks. Those were the two times I was thinking of when Freddy mentioned Kermit losing his temper.

15. Drtooth

Yes, but he doesn't always have to get angry. TMM, he wasn't angry at anyone, disappointed in himself and respectable when confronting Doc Hopper. Same with GMC... didn't blow up. A few "sheesh" moments here and there.

Where as in the context of the TV show, where things go wrong on occasion, him blowing up is very common. Had we a new show, I'd expect to see him going nuts then and there. he didn't do it all that much in MT, because that was Clifford's job... and trust me, he blew up a few times too.

Not that I can't see him getting angry in this movie, but it depends on the context. Sort of like in GMC and TMM (and to some extent MCC and MTI) his relationship with Piggy was a lot more mutual than in the series.

16. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I wonder if "The Muppets" Movie is filmed in 3D, like a lot of the Movies are now?
    I guess the Muppets 3D attraction in the Disney Parks wont be that special anymore.

17. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

This is awesome! I can't wait!

18. Gonzo's Hobbit

If it is 3d I hope they do it a good way. Sometimes people have a tendency to overdo the filming when it comes to 3D

19. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

*appearing from the under compartments of MC* Hmm...I'm sure that it was confirmed by Jason as being not-3D...although I may have just imagined Jason saying that (its not the first thing I've imaged Jason saying...but we're not talking about that here.)

Bea:zany:{*disappearing back into the under-tunnels of MC*}regard

20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It's entirely possible they could convert the movie to 3D after filming, but i don't think that's the direction they're heading. It would water down interest in the MuppetVision attraction and themepark business is very important to Disney. They just reformatted MuppetVision too. But hey, if it sell tickets and gives the film more exposure then I'm okay with it. I'll just see the 2D thanks.