Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Plus keep in mind they are writing and producing the shows for children, not for us. What we want to see and what kids pay attention to and can keep focused on are two different things.
Still, sometimes what kids pay attention to and what will actually help them are two different things. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The block format wouldn't even bug me if they at least filmed NEW Murray intros every year. I'm shocked viewership was up with all that reused footage.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I still enjoy watching Sesamea Street though I prefer it before it got revamped. One of the things I liked about the older version was that there was one basic storyline that spanned the entire segment which was then interspersed with smaller clips to back up the main point (the letter of the day, the number of the day, the theme, etc). It allowed for more story to the show I think. Now it seems broken up way too much and the story lines seem dumbed down more. Although I do appreciate the use of some of the older stuff like for the letters and numbers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot has to do with the block format. And I don't mean the recent one. The 2002 one where it first surfaced and they tried to get away from.

Watching older episodes, I really have to say I like what they did in the 80's up until season 32... they had street stories with one connected plot, rather than segmented, disconnected street bits. I think, story wise, the breaks in the episode (the letter and number "commercials" and other skits) gave a good flow to the stories, and made the time pass in a different, almost real time way. There was no ripple dissolve to a later part of the story you get with having a 10-15 minute story segment then the letter and number and other skits. I think that contributes to why the stories have an off feeling to them in recent years. Though, there were some pretty good ones. I just wonder what they would have been like split up. The Oscar and Telly go on a road trip episodes seems to feel like it was an edited together version of something that could have been on an earlier season. Think how great if it took Telly and Oscar the entire hour to wind up finding Roscoe was in the back seat the whole time, instead of 10 minutes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't get why we still get Sesame Street videos that follow the "magazine" format, even when we have the lousy block format in place.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering if that's a sort of compromise. Maybe a hint of testing if that format could work on the show itself. It's very obvious everyone wants to go back to the original format... they tried it several seasons ago, but it was an unfortunate failure due to lack of Elmo in those episodes. So maybe that's their way of using the older format in a different medium.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really don't understand everyone's hatred towards the block format, unless it's simply because everyone's in that sort of "purist" mindframe that they'll only accept the original commercial/magazine format.

Caroll Spinney even said when they tried out the block format back for Season 33, their ratings shot up, and I think I can see the advantages of the block format being predictable, and that the little kids will know what to expect, while at the same time, still getting the educational lessons and whatnot out of them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Caroll Spinney even said when they tried out the block format back for Season 33, their ratings shot up, and I think I can see the advantages of the block format being predictable, and that the little kids will know what to expect, while at the same time, still getting the educational lessons and whatnot out of them.
Predictable doesn't necessarily mean educational. Neither does good ratings. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm saying that the little kids are getting the educational content out of the show, whether it follows a more commercial/magazine format, or if it follows a predictable block format.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
We interrupt this thread for an important message from our sponsors:

:attitude:: I want YOU to join the Muppet Revival!
It's not only good for you and for all of Muppetdom in general, it's good for America!
Me: Well said, Sam.
Come one and all- let's unite in the simple joys and happiness that The Muppets have brought us- and yes, that includes all of our Sesame Street friends. From Rodeo Rosie to Abby Cadabby. From Bert to Ernie. From Sherlock Hemlock to Sam!
:attitude:: I don't recall making a guest star appearance on Sesame Street. Though I would love to do so if it would help kids be more partriotic about America!
I can see the teaching skits now- What color is Elmo, kids? (Red!) And what color is Colambo? (White!) And what color is Rosita? (Blue!) - That's right kids. And what are my favorite colors? Red, White and Blue!
Me: That would be great, Sam. I'd love to see you and The Muppet Show gang on there one day. If only your respective owners could join the Muppet Revival and agree to work out these things.
Sam: Oh yes! The Muppet Revival. Come one and all from Sesame Street.
Me: From Big Bird to Snuffy! From Sherlock Hemlock to Sam the Robot! From Biff to Sully! From Don Music to Fred the Dragon! From Guy Smiley to Sonny Friendly! From Betty Lou to Prairie Dawn! From Grover to Herry! From Cookie Monster to the Count! From Roosevelt Franklin to Farley! From Telly to Baby Bear! From Kermit to Little Bird! From Oscar to Slimey! From Barkley to Wolfgang! From Chicago to the New York Island! This land was made for you and me....
Ted Theodore Logan: And don't forget to save the humans.
Me: Thanks for that special cameo, Ted. Good luck with your mission to take the phone booth to 1989 to ask Jim Henson to be part of your history project.
So come on, everyone! Come and play, everything's A-okay! Friendly neighbors, friends- that's where we meet. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?
Okay- well, I can at least tell how to get to some Sunny Days sweeping the clouds away- at the Muppet Revival!:smile:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?p=864187#post864187