1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 16th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas
    The Muppets show how "the most unfriendly street in town" transformed into Sesame Street in this new, one-hour Christmas special.

4. Christmas Shopping
    Get great deals and go Christmas shopping for everyone on your list! From Blu-rays and DVDs to Plush and Toys to Collector's Books you'll find something for everyone.

5. The Muppets Open Macy's Parade
    On Thanksgiving morning, the Muppets kicked off the 90th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Let us know your thoughts on this anticipated appearance.

Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They tried going back to that a few seasons back, and something must not have tested well, and kids were upset Elmo wasn't on at the end... I forget the inane logic and weird studies... but suffice to say, they WANT to change things back, but they dug themselves into a corner. Now the block format actually increased the ratings, and they're going to stick with that until they start losing viewers again.

Something tells me Elmo's World is only at the end of the show because they HAVE to have it at the end of the show, and they're too scared to try another episode without one, EVEN though they should have tried that with Elmo heavy episodes, not ones focusing on Baby bear or Prairie Dawn, like they used.

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Modern Sesame=less Elmo, more Murray, INSANELY cool guest stars, SMART writing that pokes fun at topical stuff(the disasterous spiderman broadway play, fox news, big bird trying to be bought out, etc)

Modern Sesame ROCKS.

Duke Remington likes this.
  3. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

My little cousin thinks they need to add fart jokes to Sesame Street...
    I sobbed abit inside.

My main problem is, well, they have SOOOO many underused characters that could be around more often nowadays. Herry? He can at least say HI to someone else for once, jeez. Sure, Jerry's getting old, but hey, he has Matt Vogel now, who took over for most his other muppet characters.

Heck, maybe if they didn't have so many goofy plots, and just well, had a show like they did back in the day. Or at least big crowd scenes with puppets. I know the Muppeteers are all scattered, Steve, Matt, David, and Eric being shipped back and fourth now with the Muppets coming back, leaving Kevin, Carol, Fran, and a few others, but it'd be nice to see, like, heck, Pino, Dave's blue monster come back.

4. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

I dislike modern Sesame Street cause its turned into an Elmo (aka the Red menace!!! i call him that IF i see him on TV or a toy or book in a store!) mania show! I LOVE Kevin as a muppet performer, i JUST CAN'T stand Elmo! if i do happen to catch it every so often and Elmo (or Abby too somewhat) pop up, I change the channel! :grouchy:

5. a_Mickey_Muppet

EW (Elmo's World) NEEDS to be put out of its misery!!!

6. a_Mickey_Muppet

I MUST add tho, I'm GLAD there "pushing" more Cookie Monster stuff! (toys ect.)

:insatiable:

7. Drtooth

The writers are trying to do the best with what they have. They're still stuck with a format that kids really like, but adults not so much. The writing of certain bits has really gotten stronger, but guessing game type episodes just don't work for me. Once a season if they have to... we had several last year. There was no greater disappointment than the Bert Bird watching episode... only to find Elmo taking over the episode, and Bert scramming so they can find a certain bird only to hear "birds make different calls" three times.

8. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I'm bumping this thread as I think it's become relevant once again with the recent changes.

Well, season 46 was really the first season where I actually preferred the inserts more than I did the street scenes. To me, the street stories have gotten too short and seem to end abruptly, a problem that started with season 45. Plus, the street scenes seem to have lost plot, they're all almost completely curriculum based instead of having an actual story. Another thing is, probably because the episodes no longer have plots, the humor in them i basically gone, with Grover really being one of the only funny parts of the show. Essentially, they've dumbed down the writing of the entire show, which is more or less one reason that Joey Mazzarino left. Clearly with the reduced parodies and less freedom with the plots of the street story, he must not have felt as free as a writer.

And speaking of Grover, the new main six thing. I mean sure i'm happy Oscar, Big Bird, Grover and Cookie Monster are finally appearing in more street stories, but now they've reduced the appearances of characters like Telly, The Count, Zoe, Ernie and Bert. I mean seriously, what was the point of recasting those characters if your not even gonna use them!

Also, Elmo and Abby, who have already taken up most of the show for the past nine years, are now on it even more than they were before! Sometimes it gets super annoying.

Also, some issues I have with the new 30 minute format:

Because they've reduced the run time, some episodes don't even have letter of the day or number segments, so they don't do the sponsors at the end of the episodes anymore. This is sad because it was such an iconic staple of the show.

Another thing is, like it's been said before, they still feel the need to air an Elmo segment at the end of each episode. Now, I have nothing against the little red guy, but he's already in every single street story, does he still need his own segment? Why not use that time to air some other Muppet segments, like, I dunno, maybe a new Ernie and Bert segment once in a while. And speaking of Elmo, it's good that they have all new six minute "Elmo the Musical" segments to fit the shorter run time. But as you may know, the segment was originally eleven minutes long, meaning that whenever they show a segment that was originally 11 minutes, they have to edit out five minutes of them, making them a trippy, confusing, poorly edited mess.

Those are just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Drtooth likes this.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Really, my only main problem with this season has been the songs - I'm not sure if a song in every single episode is necessarily a good thing, because most of the songs feel like sausage factory songwork anyway: most of the tunes aren't even catchy, and a lot of the lyrics feel like they were written in one sitting and crammed into melodies.

10. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, the songs this season do seem like they were rushed. Although their are a few songs that I do really like, I like Big Bird's "Walking With a Dinosaur Song", that one was pretty catchy. I also really loved the "Boo boo Busters" song, Mucko Polo's song and "Everyday Heroes", which have all become some of my favorite songs from the entire show.

11. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That's how it works. The writers write lyrics and then they're sent to the different composers to create the track. There's no one there really along the lines of Raposo or Geiss, or frequent teams like Stiles/Cerf, to write their own music/lyrics.

I wasn't really "wowed" much by this year's soundtrack, but there were still plenty of songs I enjoyed. They're too short, for one thing, but that's all because of timing.

And I think I've realized (partially) why EW or ETM is there to close the show; both segments end with him signing off. Without the "brought to you by..." closing, there's nothing along the lines of an actual closing/goodbye. Maybe if they did something like the cold opens, only at the end.

12. Pig's Laundry

Oh, and another thing, one good thing about the recent changes is, at least they finally cut back on all those annoying fairytale characters.

13. GeeBee

GeeBee Active Member

Because they treat loyal cast members like garbage.

14. Oscarfan

Yeah, how dare they give Uncle Wally the boot!

15. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Mr. Hooper's death was all a conspiracy!

16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

You are seriously still butt-hurt about the cast members. Look I am sad as well I going to say something conversational but, I rather see them let go than working until there death for Sesame Workshop.

17. GeeBee

GeeBee Active Member

Strange...

18. Oscarfan

Joking aside, I doubt this recent "humans whoosie-doodle" would be a reason people dislike the current show. Even in Elmo's apparent rise to stardom, the humans were always there.

Pig's Laundry and Drtooth like this.
  19. Drtooth

I always take into deep consideration this show was not meant for me for the past few decades. I want to make that clear first of all. This isn't brought on by 'Member berries, so much as a resentment of how things have changed drastically since SW's new head. Resentment's probably a harsh word. Maybe displeasure?

I understand full well the need to switch to a half hour format. Don't get me wrong. For years, Sesame Street has been struggling with its full hour, that's why Elmo's World was a thing. Recent seasons had Sesame Street cling to overly reused filler to get the show up to that length. They reused a High School Musical parody that lost its relevance (thankfully) years ago last season or so. Abby's Flying School, a segment which otherwise I had no problem with (in fact, I love Blogg) was run into the ground because of how darn cheap they are. Shortening the show to a half hour format was a long time coming, and I swear goaded by PBS to get another patronizing episode of Super Why (as in WHY are you still on the air?!) into the schedule. Problem is, Sesame is in the unique situation of being too long at a full hour and too short at a half hour (at least the way they do it).

So what do I not like about season 46 Sesame Street?

The Half Hour format they're using leads everything to feel rushed, first of all. Choppier street stories, especially. Of course, that can be said about most of the past 2 seasons that were the full hour as well. I also don't like how letters and numbers have taken such a back seat, sometimes existing only as the Number or Letter of the day songs. The letters are sometimes being awkwardly consolidated with the live action film segments that bare more relation to the episode's subject matter, and letters are never mentioned again. There was a big to do about them no longer doing the "Sesame Street is brought to you by" bit, but considering the lack of reading and math presence now, I don't think that's as necessary as it once was, iconic as it is.

But what makes the half hour format obnoxious is the insistence of continuing to put an Elmo segment at the end 3rd of the show. That consists of either a clumsily edited Elmo the Musical or a justifiably overedited Elmo's World which actually works better stripped of so much filler. That's where the letter and number time goes. To put at a half hour something meant to keep kids interested 40 minutes into an hour long show.

Sesame Street has been fighting to get back the older 4-6 year old audience the past couple years, and this season has taken a firm step backwards to 2003 levels of pandering to the younger audiences. For the first time, I'd actually agree that the show has been dumbed down. Yet, while I hate how the new low character count focus (which affects the humans as much it does the Muppets) regulates Telly, Zoe, Baby Bear, and even Ernie and Bert to background status, it did stop the season from being all about obnoxious fairy tale characters spazzing out while the cast regulars (even Elmo) were put into the barely in their own show role.

All and all, some changes that I actually like are removing things that were weak and a drain on the show's insanely low budget. I do indeed like less celebrity focus and the loss of Word of the Day. And much as I liked Murray, I'm glad his hosting segments are in the rear view mirror.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  20. Pig's Laundry

Yeah, that's my biggest problem, frankly, the show was doing very well before and I don't think the target audience was asking for any of these changes. And as we can clearly see by the writing for the past six-ish years, the show was clearly trying to get back to it's original 4-6 year old demographic. Heck, that was one of the main reasons they added Elmo the Musical in the first place, because they wanted to attract an older audience than Elmo's World was.