Your Muppet mistakes

Tosh

Reaction score
A few that come to mind...

When I first saw FR, I really thought Boober's name was Goober, and I thought he was performed by Jim Henson. I also thought Cantus's name was "Kennitus."

When I was really little (age 4 or 5 maybe) I thought that Statler and Waldorf lived in my attic. For some reason I thought they were trying to poison the tap water in my bathroom, so each time I'd get a drink I'd fill the cup with water, dump it out, and think, "Ha ha, you tried to poison me but I tricked you!" Then I'd refill the cup and drink the "clean" water. Of course, I outgrew that thought, but the habit of rinsing out the cup like that lasted for quite a while.

I'm sure I'll think of more later... :stick_out_tongue:

Puckrox

Reaction score
When I was really little (age 4 or 5 maybe) I thought that Statler and Waldorf lived in my attic. For some reason I thought they were trying to poison the tap water in my bathroom, so each time I'd get a drink I'd fill the cup with water, dump it out, and think, "Ha ha, you tried to poison me but I tricked you!" Then I'd refill the cup and drink the "clean" water. Of course, I outgrew that thought, but the habit of rinsing out the cup like that lasted for quite a while.

That... is precious. That is absolutely precious. I cannot get over just how precious that is.

That really reminds me of me when I was a kid. I was convinced ET and the gremlins lived under my bed, and if I moved at all during the night they'd eat me. However, whenever I needed to shift or get up to go to the bathroom, I'd imagine they'd suddenly become preoccupied and forget about me, so I could move, and when I was done moving they'd seen I'd done so and they'd get frustrated they missed their opportunity. Oh the things we imagine when we're kids. :smile:

Tosh

Reaction score
That really reminds me of me when I was a kid. I was convinced ET and the gremlins lived under my bed, and if I moved at all during the night they'd eat me. However, whenever I needed to shift or get up to go to the bathroom, I'd imagine they'd suddenly become preoccupied and forget about me, so I could move, and when I was done moving they'd seen I'd done so and they'd get frustrated they missed their opportunity. Oh the things we imagine when we're kids. :smile:
LOL - That's too funny! I remember when I was in 2nd grade, I was convinced that the Smurfs were living under my bed. Not just one or two Smurfs, mind you, but the entire village! I also convinced myself that I was engaged to Papa Smurf.

He "bought" me an engagement ring from a gumball machine, and I wore it till my finger turned green. I told everyone that we were engaged and that we would get married when I was in third grade. :flirt: Sadly, though, he was fickle and never folllowed through on his commitment...

Puckrox

Reaction score
LOL - That's too funny! I remember when I was in 2nd grade, I was convinced that the Smurfs were living under my bed. Not just one or two Smurfs, mind you, but the entire village! I also convinced myself that I was engaged to Papa Smurf.

He "bought" me an engagement ring from a gumball machine, and I wore it till my finger turned green. I told everyone that we were engaged and that we would get married when I was in third grade. :flirt: Sadly, though, he was fickle and never folllowed through on his commitment...
Again, that is absolutely precious. I'm sorry he never followed up on his commitment!

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
A few that come to mind...

When I first saw FR, I really thought Boober's name was Goober,
So did I! The subtitles on MFC did not help me. I had my own little setup of what all the fraggles must be like when I first saw MFC (I had not seen Fraggles in years). I thought Boober must be the smart one, Gobo must be the star, Red must be the happy, bouncy one, Wembley must be the silly one, and Mokey was the shy, a little bit weird one. I was very quick to judge...

gee, I sure wish Muppets lived in my house. I'd have a lot of fun.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So did I! The subtitles on MFC did not help me. I had my own little setup of what all the fraggles must be like when I first saw MFC (I had not seen Fraggles in years). I thought Boober must be the smart one, Gobo must be the star, Red must be the happy, bouncy one, Wembley must be the silly one, and Mokey was the shy, a little bit weird one. I was very quick to judge...
I'm pretty sure I saw A Muppet Family Christmas before I first saw any full episodes of the live action Fraggle Rock. I'm sure I knew about Fraggle Rock at the time (though now that I remember, I initially thought it was called Fraggle Rocks). But until I saw the live action series, my exposure to the fraggles had been through MFC, a number of storybooks (including the Fraggle stories in Jim Henson's Muppet Storybook series), the VHS Doozer Music (which focused more on the doozers, obviously), and the animated series (which I only vaguely remember seeing before I saw the live action version). Oh, and the McDonald's Happy Meal toys.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, until I saw the series, I didn't think Gobo was the star. I think I initially thought Red was the star. I'm surprised that somebody would instantly pick up on Gobo beign the star if their first exposure to the characters was by their MFC cameo, as Gobo seemed to have the least amount of focus in that scene (as Jerry Nelson was performing Robin in most of the scene... I wonder if he switched characters for the different takes or not).

bazingababe24

Reaction score
This isn’t exactly a mistake, but it’s something I’m kind of ashamed about.

I don’t know how to pronounce “Goelz”.:embarrassed:

Dearth

Reaction score
I read somewhere in the last couple of years, probably here on the MC forums, that it's basically the same way you pronounce "Goals".

But for a very long time, I mentally pronounced it go-ELZ. Like "go wells" with the accent on the second syllable.

Alex

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
I'm surprised that somebody would instantly pick up on Gobo beign the star if their first exposure to the characters was by their MFC cameo, as Gobo seemed to have the least amount of focus in that scene (as Jerry Nelson was performing Robin in most of the scene... I wonder if he switched characters for the different takes or not).
Aw, thanks! :big_grin: yeah, well, I think I may hav e gotten it from one other time I had watched Fraggle Rock when I was very little. It was a video of "A Friend in Need". The whole thing was weird, and yet magical. Hey, that's Jim.

bazingababe24

Reaction score
I read somewhere in the last couple of years, probably here on the MC forums, that it's basically the same way you pronounce "Goals".
Thanks, Alex! Exactly the way it looks, then!:smile:

You see, I come from Southern Michigan (read: Lutheran country), and learned early on that the “oe” phoneme in German names can be pronounced like a long A, as in Matt Groening. That’s probably why I wasn’t sure how to say it.