An Interesting Article

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Are we talking about politicians or the voters. I can't bring myself to hate at voters of any side, as they're both manipulated by their parties and the values they claim.
Well you're right about the manipulation; but how many more elections do we need to have before we realize the two party system is broken? At some point we need to take responsibility for our own country.

Again I must say, yeah.. there ARE the occasional claims by the left that the right uses fictitious media to brainwash people. Difference is, they're usually underground on cheaply printed news papers and college radio stations and other media that no one reads or gives a crap about.
Have to disagree there, in lieu of the major news stations that often talk about conservative biases in the news. It's not all underground by a long shot. :wink:

It's quite amusing actually to watch both the right and the left accuse each of being bias. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" indeed! :insatiable:

Really... I tried listening to Air America in 2004 and it sounded like the fat girls table at a high school, passive aggressively talking smack about the popular girls behind their back and spreading rumors that never leave the table about how many partners the popular girls have been with. :rolleyes:
The left needs to start analyzing WHY the right does so much better than them on the radio. It's not a question of ideologies, but of form. The right has a sense of humor about itself, whereas the left comes across like snotty elites. Nobody likes that, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's quite amusing actually to watch both the right and the left accuse each of being bias. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" indeed! :insatiable:
No... it's all about marketability. Would you rather someone be brutally honest with you, or would you want someone to assure you and go along with your delusion?

The left's motive is "Everyone is wrong! Even us! We're all wrong and everything sucks because of everyone!"

The right's "Everyone but us is stupid and everything is everyone ELSE'S fault!"

What would you rather read?

The left needs to start analyzing WHY the right does so much better than them on the radio. It's not a question of ideologies, but of form. The right has a sense of humor about itself, whereas the left comes across like snotty elites. Nobody likes that, lol.
I've heard Neo-Cons that are infinitely more elitist than the left thinks they are. It's not that. Maybe it's because all the left wing commentators are old comedians from the 80's and early 90's or something? Or that no one takes them seriously and feels they're stupid little kids. I dunno. The only "sense of humor" the right has for itself is mockishly adopting the fact that the left thinks their evil. And that's not so much a sense of humor about themselves as basically saying "Oh! The people who we don't agree with and therefore are stupid think we're evil. They're stupid! Let's call ourselves evil to show how stupid they sound." That's not a sense of humor. That's a passive aggressive double backhand.

Still, the left basically gets an "Oh yeah? Well... YO MAMA!" from me. And their snotty little books always go into the humor section when the right's bile filled rant tomes get on the current events tables.

I guess the companies only like people who are in favor of their big fat tax cuts.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No... it's all about marketability. Would you rather someone be brutally honest with you, or would you want someone to assure you and go along with your delusion?
As far as I'm concerned, delusion is rampant in both the right and the left. :wink:

But back to the Sesame Street article, I really don't understand why this is supposed to be some big shocker. From the very beginning Sesame Street promoted diversity and the working class and had their Muppets dress up like hippies (all of which I fully support btw, hehe)...and it's only NOW that it's being accused of leftist tendencies?? Perhaps this is a symptom of the times when people are even more polarized on issues than before.

Then again, maybe Sesame Street was criticized for this years ago too; I'd have to do more research. That would be an interesting essay topic!

Drtooth

Reaction score
But back to the Sesame Street article, I really don't understand why this is supposed to be some big shocker. From the very beginning Sesame Street promoted diversity and the working class and had their Muppets dress up like hippies (all of which I fully support btw, hehe)...and it's only NOW that it's being accused of leftist tendencies?? Perhaps this is a symptom of the times when people are even more polarized on issues than before.

Then again, maybe Sesame Street was criticized for this years ago too; I'd have to do more research. That would be an interesting essay topic!
SS WAS criticized for being diverse by wack job segregationists. Nuff said. I don't know about the hippie stuff, but that was a fashion at the time, and Jim WAS an artistic person... and artistic people always get lumped into hippyism for some reason... actually... yeah... Hippies RIPPED OFF artistic bohemian style.

The only people who seem to be annoyed by the show's original inner city are today's parents living in good neighborhoods. Remember that story about how they were upset with a segment of kids playing in a junkyard that didn't really exist?

That's why I'm convinced Barney is a conservative show. Think about it. The diversity is FAKE, and the kids all act WASPish... it takes place in a VERY suburban little red school house, possibly private. And of course, the kids worship a big fat cartoonish character who keeps giving them the same old song and dance.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
SS WAS criticized for being diverse by wack job segregationists. Nuff said.
Oh you're right! Seriously, this would make an interesting thesis topic, too bad I'm done with school, hehe.

The only people who seem to be annoyed by the show's original inner city are today's parents living in good neighborhoods. Remember that story about how they were upset with a segment of kids playing in a junkyard that didn't really exist?
Yeah that attitude really annoyed me. Regardless of whether there was an actual junkyard or not. Not every child is fortunate enough to have a nice publically funded, cutesy playground. To hide these realities from view would be a crime.

That's why I'm convinced Barney is a conservative show. Think about it. The diversity is FAKE, and the kids all act WASPish... it takes place in a VERY suburban little red school house, possibly private. And of course, the kids worship a big fat cartoonish character who keeps giving them the same old song and dance.
Oh Barney was a Stepford show everyway you look at it, lol.

I think we all know what's going on here. This is just another attempt to defund PBS by saying it's "brainwashing" the children with liberal ideas. It's pretty sad. But on the other hand, whenever political types starts whineing about a TV show, not too many people take them seriously. I mean Dan Quayle made a fool of himself complaining about Murphy Brown, remember that?

There might be one or two parents who take that kind of seriously. But the overwhelming majority of parents say, "It's just a TV show, get a life!" :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah that attitude really annoyed me. Regardless of whether there was an actual junkyard or not. Not every child is fortunate enough to have a nice publically funded, cutesy playground. To hide these realities from view would be a crime.
Seriously... I think they got SS confused with Fat Albert. I do not remember the junkyard at all. you can tell things have changed because they have yoga on the show and white people making sushi (They eat freaking other things in Japan, you know! Off the top of my head, Takoyaki, Gyudon, Dorayaki, rice with boiled down fish paste on it... all stuff I got from watching anime and old TV commercials. Don't pretend that they were being diverse there). I dunno.. gentrification annoys me. It rides in on a cloud of fake diversity and turns everything into an upscale chain store and prices everyone out of the neighborhood.

I think we all know what's going on here. This is just another attempt to defund PBS by saying it's "brainwashing" the children with liberal ideas. It's pretty sad. But on the other hand, whenever political types starts whineing about a TV show, not too many people take them seriously. I mean Dan Quayle made a fool of himself complaining about Murphy Brown, remember that?
Come on. Like a couple hundred thou to PBS vs. undeserved millions to the oil industry that loves us so much, they willed gas prices to 4 bucks a gallon with fairy tales and exaggerations so them and their stock holders can get short term gains before they kill the economy again? yeah. I'm no that side. At least giving money to PBS gives us Sesame Street and maybe a good Britcom for a change (I hope).

The writer's a text book Neo-Con. Using fear to scare people into making sure we have people that keep the stocks that they own up. :sympathy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
you can tell things have changed because they have yoga on the show and white people making sushi (They eat freaking other things in Japan, you know! Off the top of my head, Takoyaki, Gyudon, Dorayaki, rice with boiled down fish paste on it... all stuff I got from watching anime and old TV commercials. Don't pretend that they were being diverse there). I dunno.. gentrification annoys me. It rides in on a cloud of fake diversity and turns everything into an upscale chain store and prices everyone out of the neighborhood.
I think what you're describing there is known as "liberal chic."

Even Democratic Underground.com complains about that, hehe. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
How come no one ever whines about how the message of the tedious musical Annie is extremely conservative (like the comics were) in so much the fact the message is the big rich people will always save you, so let them do whatever they want?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
How come no one ever whines about how the message of the tedious musical Annie is extremely conservative (like the comics were) in so much the fact the message is the big rich people will always save you, so let them do whatever they want?
Lol, interesting point. That's a case of most people just accepting something as harmless and cute, without questioning any controversial undertones. Plus optimism was big during the latter part of the Great Depression.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, interesting point. That's a case of most people just accepting something as harmless and cute, without questioning any controversial undertones. Plus optimism was big during the latter part of the Great Depression.
Difference with the musical... at least the Disney version... FDR was a good guy at the end. I'm not going into that mess.

Personally I hate BOTH the comics and the musical (more so the latter). I don't really mind how righty some of these old comics were. I LOVE my Dick Tracy, even though it had the "Let's beat up on Hippies because not liking a war means you're sympathetic to the enemy, even though the enemy is exactly as warlike and war mongering as us" storylines. I actually kinda find those campy and hilarious now, since, as I said earlier, NO ONE really liked the war. They just like the idea of winning. But Annie as a comic and a musical suck, and not for political reasons... they just... they're horrible. Now, the 2 Charlie Brown musicals. Those are just beautiful.

Everything has messages. It's just a matter of saying I agree or I disagree or I can agree to an extent/ agree for different reasons. Only someone with too much time on their hands would bother talking about it to a negative "Brainwash" extent... someone who's a total ratfink would write a book about it.