"The Muppets" Official Movie Trailer

Drtooth

Reaction score
it seems like people are not wanting kids there...but dont be surprised when you enter the theater and its full of children

Oh ho ho! Don't get me wrong. Even though I detest the loudness and rowdiness kids bring to a theater I want EVERYONE to go see this thing. I remember when I saw MFS both times at the cheaper theater, it was packed with kids. It seems to me that adults would be the ones taking kids to see this unless other parents have a LOT of Muppet DVDs/videos. I went to a Sunday Midmorning or midafternoon (I forget) Looney Tunes film festival a while ago, and all these parents in front of me were talking about how they show their kids all these Muppet videos... they were young kids, sure... but still... it's GREAT to see that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh ho ho! Don't get me wrong. Even though I detest the loudness and rowdiness kids bring to a theater I want EVERYONE to go see this thing. I remember when I saw MFS both times at the cheaper theater, it was packed with kids. It seems to me that adults would be the ones taking kids to see this unless other parents have a LOT of Muppet DVDs/videos. I went to a Sunday Midmorning or midafternoon (I forget) Looney Tunes film festival a while ago, and all these parents in front of me were talking about how they show their kids all these Muppet videos... they were young kids, sure... but still... it's GREAT to see that.
I'm surprised MFS was packed with anybody.
I encourage kids to come, but audience members of all ages are now guilty of rudeness since the invention of smart phones and ipods. It's like people bringing flashlights and radios into the theater! We can see and hear you, people!!
Remember when the worst thing that could happen was noisy talkers and people with laser pens?

I try to catch the morning showings if possible. Even though it's considered the kids' viewing time, many don't seem to go to them because their parents are too busy to take them that early. :wisdom:

beaker

Reaction score
Showings better be packed with kids. I don't want this to simply be a college aged nostalgia trip. A couple years ago Regal/UA was doing their usual free summer movie tues-wed thing. It's usually garbage cgi/cgi live action hybrid kid's films you couldn't pay me to see. But, this one time on both tues and wed the showing was of Muppets Take Manhattan. The first two screens were overflowing, so they had to open up a third screen. So that's six no empty seat showings in two days of Muppets Take Manhattan in my area alone kids were exposed to. And given there were countless theaters participating in that free kids movie summer program, Im sure thousands more got to experience the magic of the Muppets on the big screen...much as I did opening weekend in 1984 when Muppets Take Manhattan was released. (Was too young too see or remember the first two)

I haven't really seen any sign of promotion for the Muppet film yet in day to day life(in contrast to Toy Story 3 when there was nowhere in America you could go to without being reminded of it at least a good year before it was out) but I still am trusting the Disney marketing machine.

People don't want to say it out loud, but we all know this is pretty much make or break time for the franchise. If this tanks or under performs, it won't be good for the future.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Showings better be packed with kids. I don't want this to simply be a college aged nostalgia trip. A couple years ago Regal/UA was doing their usual free summer movie tues-wed thing. It's usually garbage cgi/cgi live action hybrid kid's films you couldn't pay me to see. But, this one time on both tues and wed the showing was of Muppets Take Manhattan. The first two screens were overflowing, so they had to open up a third screen. So that's six no empty seat showings in two days of Muppets Take Manhattan in my area alone kids were exposed to. And given there were countless theaters participating in that free kids movie summer program, Im sure thousands more got to experience the magic of the Muppets on the big screen...much as I did opening weekend in 1984 when Muppets Take Manhattan was released. (Was too young too see or remember the first two)

I haven't really seen any sign of promotion for the Muppet film yet in day to day life(in contrast to Toy Story 3 when there was nowhere in America you could go to without being reminded of it at least a good year before it was out) but I still am trusting the Disney marketing machine.

People don't want to say it out loud, but we all know this is pretty much make or break time for the franchise. If this tanks or under performs, it won't be good for the future.
You're right that kids must see this film for it to work. I just hope the jokes work in that all-inclusive classic Muppet style instead of the watered-down DC Live humor or sticking in something for shock-value in order to please the older crowd. The Muppets have always existed, not in the middle of that, but above it. I hope this film honors that tradition. Indicators are that it just might.

The Muppets don't have the continued popularity the Toy Story characters have enjoyed for the past couple decades. It made sense to wind people up for anticipation a year before release. There's been a healthy amount of Muppet promotion. I've had friends send me snapshots of the teaser poster up in movie theaters and the Muppets have already received much more publicity than the upcoming Pooh movie. I don't see any need to jump the gun and second-guess the Disney marketing machine at this point. It's good not to antagonize the public with too much promotion until a few months before the picture. This movie is exactly on the right track so far.

outerelf

Reaction score
No not the "We haven't done this in a really long time" part, the "Your fans haven't left you..." part.
I always thought it was Gonzo's voice, but then again... It probably is Walter. It just doesn't really match up to when he tells Jason Segal to throw him over the fence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm surprised MFS was packed with anybody.
I encourage kids to come, but audience members of all ages are now guilty of rudeness since the invention of smart phones and ipods. It's like people bringing flashlights and radios into the theater! We can see and hear you, people!!
Remember when the worst thing that could happen was noisy talkers and people with laser pens?
Eh... cheaper middle of the day matinee near the end of the summer. All I can say. But this was back when the theater I'm referring to had second run films. I remember that year having to wait until October for Star Wars episode 1. nd the kids in the theater were pretty young, so... I can't say I was surprised. But both times, it was a full house. Maybe it was just the smaller room in the theater... I forget.

Yet when I saw Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2 there, seemed like there weren't that many people about. Maybe it's just that theater caters to suburban people who live near by and their kids grew up or something...

There's been a healthy amount of Muppet promotion. I've had friends send me snapshots of the teaser poster up in movie theaters and the Muppets have already received much more publicity than the upcoming Pooh movie. I don't see any need to jump the gun and second-guess the Disney marketing machine at this point. It's good not to antagonize the public with too much promotion until a few months before the picture. This movie is exactly on the right track so far.
Like I said before, it's VERY hard to tell with Pooh, since Disney was always milking that one. I'm seeing Pooh stuff with the movie logo on it, but then again... there's SOOOO much Pooh stuff around, maybe it doesn't need all that much of a promotion.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
In the trailer, around 0:15 - 0:16, is it just me, or is the extra in the crowd of Muppet fans on the far right (just slightly out of shot) wearing a Scooter jacket? Probably not, but it sure looks like one.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey it would not suprise me any. Scooter has really been trying to make a comeback in the last few years, and I'm glad the Muppets have kind of been not the same without him. They could also start selling thouse jackets and I would be one of the first people to want to buy one.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ha! My first thought is that some fan made a Scooter jacket, the way Star Trek fans make Starfleet uniforms. Shoot, I once made a Ranma Saotome jacket.

One things that jumps out at me, and I don't think anyone else has mentioned it: in the shot in the office, Thog's head is obviously a separate piece from his body, no attempt to hide or camouflauge it. To me it looks as if they hadn't finished the puppet when they shot that scene.